Author Topic: Scatter shield.....needed?  (Read 9305 times)

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

Scatter shield.....needed?
« on: April 26, 2007, 12:32:23 AM »
I was told by an official that because I am using a motorcycle motor in a car that I did not have to have a scatter shield.....even though the rule book clearly states that every cars with transmissions shall have a ballistic blanket or approved shield.

So do guys running bike motors not have to have a transmission/clutch shield?
Just wanted to make sure before it gets too late!

-JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Scatter shield.....needed?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 01:50:56 AM »
Think about the bike motor in the original frame with the rider wrapped around it.
Now consider how they fail and the result is........ :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 08:04:12 AM »
Never been an issue for us.  Is your clutch and tranny in close proximity to the driver? No, us too ...  :wink:
Gimme a grammar check on that will ya SSS  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 09:53:20 AM »
Try "are your clutch and tranny..."  As for "No, us too"  HUNH?  I don't know what your were trying to do, other than to give me a hard time.  Must be that photo of Nancy has me all farkled up.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 11:16:35 AM »
If nothing else, consider what IF parts do exit said clutch and tranny house. :?

Might just ruin your day, not to mention one or more of your high dollar spiffy tires on the way to glory. :cry:

Sometimes can be anytime.

Regards to All,
HB2 :-)
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 11:24:39 AM »
Dang SSS, ya caught me...  :|
Stainless

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 12:35:44 PM »
I understand the safety implications of a scatter shield but there is also a certain amount of problems with trying to install something like this on a bike motor.

I have a 1/4 aluminum plate separating the motor bay with the drivers compartment.....in addition to the firewall for the sole purpose of containing flying parts.

THe problems is that a bike motor by design has everything in a small package and there is no real practical way to install a wrap around ballistic blanket or clutch cover.

I just want to know if teck guy A will have a problem because of what it says it the book, if teck guy b says its ok.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 01:15:14 PM »
I would like to know what some people who have home made scatter shields are doing about the retention requirement in the '07 rules. Early flathead Ford and other such motors with cast on bellhousings. My old blow shield should keep parts away from me, but then they will fall on the course.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 01:32:19 PM »
The fact that you have never seen a clutch scatter shield on a bike motored vehicle is a product of how they are made in comparison to a strictly automotive type.
Open drive guard yes, but clutch scatter shields no.
The HD type is perhaps the closest design to that used on a car but they tend to fail the crank or jug to block attachment first.
Drag racing puts a lot more clutch shock that results in failures than LSR bikes and they have had no problem.
Certain classes require ballistic protection for the rider, but it is mostly for blower and cylinder protection. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 03:12:22 PM »
I was told by an official that because I am using a motorcycle motor in a car that I did not have to have a scatter shield.....even though the rule book clearly states that every cars with transmissions shall have a ballistic blanket or approved shield.

So do guys running bike motors not have to have a transmission/clutch shield?
Just wanted to make sure before it gets too late!

-JH

JH the rule I read, 3.H TRANSMISSION SHIELDS says

All cars with automatic or planetary type transmissions shall be equipped with a ballistic transmission blanket or approved shield.  It is recommended that the transmission blanket/shield meet SFI SPECIFICATION 4.1

I don't see anyway that you need one with your transmission type.

c ya,

Sum

Offline tortoise

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 04:23:31 PM »

All cars with automatic or planetary type transmissions shall be equipped with a ballistic transmission blanket or approved shield.  It is recommended that the transmission blanket/shield meet SFI SPECIFICATION 4.1

c ya,

Sum

See section 3.O, Sum.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 11:34:10 PM »

c ya,

Sum

See section 3.O, Sum.

Oops didn't get that far yet  :oops:

But after reading that I would still question the rule applying to a bike motor.  The rule is:

3.0 Flywheels, Flywheel Shields and Bell Housings:

Can you find those on most bike motors??

Sum

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 12:03:42 AM »
I'm definitely not the final judgment but when a M/C engine is put into a 4 wheel vehicle it is no longer a M/C.

At this time many are already doing this including Rick Yacoucci and I can't remember what he does other than the engine is in the chassis the same way it is in the liner. I would be more concerned with what would happen IF something catastrophic did occur.

Is it sideways or inline? What lines could be severed during a major catastrophy. case  breakage (engine/trans)

I would contact him or the Linguas, etc and ask.  Always protect the important lines: fuel, oil, brakes, parachute, etc....

Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

dwarner

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 08:07:33 AM »
Current practice does not require a scatter shield/blanket as mentioned in the rulebook. This would be different if car engines were allowed in a motorcycle chassis. Yes, I know about the Big Dog line of small block bikes, not allowed.

DW

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 08:09:34 AM »
You have no bell housing, but Jimmy6 has a couple of really good points... we replaced all fuel lines with stainless braid lines.
We have had t least 8, maybe 10, catastrophic failures, so far, 2 rodbolts have exited the motor via their own windows, and even the 2 times that a rod cut the motors in half, the case pieces were all that we found in the bottom of the car.  Did I mention the motors were still running....  :|  Those bike motors are tough pieces, remember guys, in a lot of bikes, the motor is structural...  :wink:
Looking forward to seeing your car, you should post a few pictures.
Stainless