Author Topic: Who WAS Seldom Seen Slim?  (Read 7595 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Who WAS Seldom Seen Slim?
« on: January 29, 2007, 09:16:08 AM »
The question has been raised elsewhere, and for those of you who might wonder -- here's the story.

The Panamint Valley is the next valley west of Death Valley (eastern California), and in the Panamint Valley there's a (ghost) town called Ballarat.  Nestled in the hills, with enough gold here and there to support a little town back in the day.  A bunch of saloons, a bunch of whorehouses, and a general store or two -- I think that was the commercial makeup of the town.  Anyway, in the first half or so of the 20th century one of the folks that "lived" in Ballarat was a skinny old guy named Charles Ferge, but since he was pretty skinny -- folks called him "Slim".  He was a true desert rat -- supposedly didn't have much acquaintence with bathing, and, according to his tombstone, he said "Me, Lonely?  Hell, no, I'm half coyote and half wild burro."  He'd stop in town for a while to get all liquored up and whored out, get a grubstake and then head back out into the mountains for weeks/months at a time.

The story goes on that now and then someone would come to town and ask of him:  "Where's Slim?".  The response would come back "Ah, he's seldom seen in these parts."

And now you know where the phrase comes from.  For more information you can visit www.seldomseenslim.com and see that he certainly looked the part of someone that had spent WAY TOO LONG out in the desert.  There's lots of other interesting stuff about Ballarat on the Internet, too -- did you know that the Charles Manson "family" had a pretty nice hideout up in the hills behind Ballarat?  I've got a photo of the townsite that shows the family "escape vehicle" still parked in "town" -- it's an old Power Wagon.

Well, back to the story.  Nancy and I've ridden the Gold Wing to and through the Death/Panamint Valley area a few times, always stopping at the "townsite" to shoot the breeze with the caretaker that lives there.  We sorta got comfy with the interesting desolation out there.  In fact -- the "avatar" on my posts is a photo of me standing next to a portrait of Slim that hangs (well used to hang, at least) on the wall in the general store in Ballarat.  So when Nancy and I got sorta serious about our land speed racing -- we decided that we needed a good name for the team (not that "Nancy and Jon Land Speed Racing" wouldn't have worked, but it just didn't fall trippingly off the tongue), and she - out of the blue, I think -- said "Why not Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing?"

Hey it was great -- a real person, not totally unknown but dead enough to not object to us using his name, known to more than a few other racers, and alliterative enough to be easy to remember.

Better still, we've driven to Ballarat in the truck/trailer since -- and the reaction we get when we pull into "town" with all the stickers on the truck is great.  "Hey, you've actually heard of him?" is the common refrain.

Does that answer the question?  No, I'm not seldom seen -- I get teased all the time about being seen frequently.  And the truth is that I'm not as skinny as I might be -- but I do work out, hoping to avoid having to change the team name to "Seldom Seen Lard-Ass Land Speed Racing".

End of story.  Have a fine day, and do search around for information on Ferge.  His funeral was covered on the national news, in fact.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Who WAS Seldom Seen Slim?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 11:23:50 AM »
The only reason seldom seen slim doesn't fall thru the cracks is the size of his feet. :evil:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 02:11:21 PM »
great story jon...............
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 02:31:03 PM »
He was one tough dude. Living under those conditions that long is unreal.
Glen :-)
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Leon

• http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 02:41:08 PM »
Good story...
There's lots of interesting stuff in the desert.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 02:47:20 PM »
Leon -- you're from Ridgecrest -- right in the neighborhood, hey?  We've certainly found a different kind of beauty -- fascinating, but different -- in our travels through the area.  Sure is different from our home -- we can see water in the swmp adjacent to the house year-round (except that right now it's covered with snow).

I'm pleased that you folks found entertainment in the story.  I guess we found a good name for the race team.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 04:00:52 PM »
Great story, Jon.  In fact I think you should be awarded -- a pause -- trophy!
Com' ma, it's time to go.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 05:29:40 PM »
Jon
your award is that Stan will do the crapper duty on Saturday. :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 08:48:05 AM »
Saturday's not the problem day -- it's about Tuesday or so, when things have had a few days to ripen, and when the wind has moved the blue units all over the damn Salt.

No, wait -- I know, I'll sign him up to help move stuff when the course gets changed.  Stan, you'll need to be ready to arrive at 5AM or so, attempt to locate at least a dozen or more potties in the dark, then be ready to move 'em to the new start line/staging area so the racers in line will have a place to void.  Understand that the new line and staging areas won't be marked yet, so after you're done moving them the sun will come up, the course-changing crew will arrive and move stuff, and then you'll be offered the pleasure of moving the potties again -- now to the correct places.  And then, since it'll finally be light out -- you're expected to move the rest of them to the corrected locations.

Don't ask how I know this.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 11:34:43 AM »
Stan,

Sounds like a crappy way to start the day.

But for the drivers an absolute must to have done right.

Jon,

Great story on the name of your team. Not many have any historical significense.

TG

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 03:36:12 PM »
Ya know, Slim, I might be able to help.  Don't seem to have a lot to do early in the morning the last couple of years.  Can't seem to find my way to Impounds any more.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 03:52:58 PM »
No you don't -- I won't let you horn in on my territory!  It took me years to get this cushy job -- I'm not about to let anyone try to work his way in already! 

Well, really -- thanks, but we can hope that there won't be need to move 'em early in the morning.  Last year was the first time I had the duty -- and all was okay 'til the night when it was decided to move the course the next morning.  "Be here around 5", I was told, so we showed up and moved things -- in the frickin' dark!  Didn't know where stuff would go, so we guessed.  If you were one of the folks in line for a return run that morning and wondered why the potties had been moved way the heck over there -- about a hundred years from where the new course was -- well, we tried.  We'll do better next year -- maybe I'll mark GPS waypoints on each one so we can find 'em in the dark.  Or better still, maybe we won't have to move the potties at all. 

And of course the morning we had to move 'em -- was a morning that we were in impound, so everything had a time-certain that we had to quit to get to Warnerville in time to unwrap the bike and get ready for that wonderful parade down the access road to the start line. 

Thanks, Stan.  I'm working on the article -- really.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 05:34:37 PM »
And, Jon,

you forgot to explain.....if you move them....than move them GENTLE........otherwise :|

I done during the WoS a picture of Wes moving them around......speedlimit 5 mph......
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 06:02:30 PM »
So now Jon has the fastest john record AA/BFcrapper, I don't remember timing it, must have been on the short course, :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline t russell

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 07:50:26 PM »

I'm pleased that you folks found entertainment in the story.  I guess we found a good name for the race team.
[/quote]
No Jon we find you enteraining :-D
Terry