Author Topic: Rear Axle Ends - Big Ford Bearing vs Floating Hub  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
Rear Axle Ends - Big Ford Bearing vs Floating Hub
« on: March 13, 2018, 03:18:01 AM »
For the new Lakester I’m targeting high 200’s. I‘m contemplating Floating hubs but currently run traditional Big Ford Bearing ends on my Roadster. And sage advise on by others that run in the high 200’s and with what axle ends?

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Rear Axle Ends - Big Ford Bearing vs Floating Hub
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 08:28:58 AM »
with a full floater you can pull the axles out and leave the wheels and tires on  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 05:09:36 PM »
Skip,
I would go with the full floating combination, mainly because the axle is only carrying a torque load and not required to carry the weight of your car which may get pretty heavy. Coleman Racing has some pretty nice units for IMCA racing that are not overly huge, I just put a set on the new QC for my little street rod.

Now if cost were not a constraining factor I would design and built a set up using preloaded angular contact ball bearings. Lower rolling resistance and still good radial and thrust load capabilities and if you were really bucks up you could probably use ceramic bearings too! plus they would have a labyrinth style seal for no seal drag. $$$$$

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 09:34:18 PM »
Skip, Speedway Engineering in Sylmar will easily do what you want. We use their floater rears in our dirt car and would do one of their small quick changes in my roadster I was going to change out my Pontiac. Mendenhal went 220 with their midget style, they have photos of many of our racers, and advertise in our rulebook. All pluses for me...
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline mike f

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 07:47:51 PM »
Hi to all:  Mike from MF Performance.  Go only with a full floating hub system.  Really the most important fact is safety.  If you break an axle or gear the hub will still turn.  For cars looking to keep the wheel and hub close to the body look a Mitter Bros.  We use their set up on John's modify roaster and have gone over 300 with no problems.  Have fun.

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 02:57:36 AM »
Hi Guys

Thanks for the input, looks like its unanimous, floating hubs.

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 04:58:36 PM »
Great decision Skip!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 08:22:57 PM »
Skip,
I have a long shaft that is machined on the ends to fit the Coleman Racing IMCA snouts and also a center piece that the shaft slides through and fits into the bearing bores of early Ford side bells. If you happen to go with the Coleman stuff you are more than welcome to use my alignment stuff. You may have to make a different center part or re-machine mine. Not a problem. If you are using a QC diff it would probably all work.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.