Author Topic: sway bar pros and cons  (Read 9699 times)

Offline noturbo999

• New folks
sway bar pros and cons
« on: February 06, 2018, 01:49:13 PM »
Hey folks,
Does anyone have knowledge they can share about sway bars? I have a Mazda RX7 I'm building with a Chevy LS swap (C/GC). The oil pan interferes with the front sway bar, so I'm contemplating removing it completely. I'll hopefully be working my way up to 200mph, so I certainly want stable handling.

Thanks

Online Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: sway bar pros and cons
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 03:07:35 PM »
By "sway bar" I am assuming that you are talking about the stock anti roll bar. Anti roll bars actually only work when turning, going straight they are just along for the ride. Although I am sure that you will be loosing some roll stiffness you can probably get most of it back by increasing the spring rate of the front springs, which you will probably do to compensate for the extra weight of the LS over the Mazda rotary, so my vote is to just not run the stock anti roll bar. What year is your RX7? All of them seem to work pretty good on the salt.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 06:46:15 PM »
I'm not familiar with the RX7 front end but I assume it's McPherson strut type.
The change to an LS engine plus all the added structure & safety equipment you need will significantly raise the CG then you add into that the extra torque from the LS, you should expect to see some body roll under power. With variation in traction &-or you coming off the power, that will change & that will likely create a yaw situation. On the salt that can mean you are looking at the start line or getting 360 views & a trip to re-inspection before changing your shorts. :-o
I know of some door slammers that have huge sway bars from box trucks & motorhomes under both ends.
Go to the junkyard with you tape measure & find something you can adapt.
  Sid. 

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 12:32:05 PM »
I remember an RX-7 that cut in line in front of us at SW in the 90s.  It made quite a journey on its lid.  It was pretty stable in that configuration.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 07:18:39 PM »
It is always good to know the most stable configuration for your vehicle...  :roll:  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 08:43:59 PM »
Do you mean sideways isn't it ?

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 09:48:54 PM »
No.  It was on its top.  They dragged it off that way.  We then qualified.  Didn't hurt the track much on that smooth top.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 09:58:52 PM »
Cut in front of you in line?  Ended up on his top?  Ice pick in the left rear?  8-)
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 10:07:04 PM »
Naaa.  This was in the stupid year of pre-staging. They told us to move up.  I hadn't towed the race car before, so I went carefully and leisurely up to the back of No. 1.  Apparently they wanted to be 9 back instead of 10 back and I wasn't going fast enough, so they went around me.  Big hat with some imported cattle.  Karma.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 10:52:59 PM »
Was that the white one the starting line crew had a hard time communicating to the non-English speaking crew that the car had spun and crashed?
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2018, 11:46:55 PM »

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 09:22:23 AM »
Notice that the driver was able to extricate himself from the upside down car, see the flames, and reach back into the car and presumably hit the fire bottles before the crash crew arrived. Think how much harder if the new head restraint rules for cages and swing out bars etc made that much harder. Maybe we should have bail out tests with the car upside down...... :evil: :evil:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 10:30:09 AM »
Looks to me like he also needed a lot more parachute for that one....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 11:10:47 AM »
Numbah 10, GI !!!  :x

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 11:38:47 AM »
Liked the shot of Al early on in the video.

At 1:33, right behind the Mazda, there's Steve Batchelor's stock-bodied Monza C/CFALT that ran 243 for the record right after.  That Bonneville record and his 213 El Mirage record still stand 25 years later.

I had the very important duty of pushing him off at Bonneville.