Author Topic: Mounting a "Turnip Eater" type fairing  (Read 6769 times)

Offline Unforgiven

Mounting a "Turnip Eater" type fairing
« on: January 16, 2018, 04:06:40 PM »
Anyone familiar with the bike the "Turnip Eater". Am trying to figure out best way to attach to a sportster frame. I am pretty good at fabricating and body work but this is a first and I want it to look professional and pass scrutinizing. 'Preciate any help.

Offline Beef Stew

Re: Mounting a "Turnip Eater" type fairing
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 01:46:33 AM »
Anyone familiar with the bike the "Turnip Eater". Am trying to figure out best way to attach to a sportster frame. I am pretty good at fabricating and body work but this is a first and I want it to look professional and pass scrutinizing. 'Preciate any help.

Check-out these photos from Hot Bike https://www.hotbikeweb.com/harley-davidsons-golden-age-racing#page-2

Buck Lovell is the former editor of Hot Bike https://www.facebook.com/bucklovell He knew everyone, including Leo Payne and Mel Disharoon. He lives in South Dekota, and still works as a photographer.

Sporty Parts, in Fullerton, CA may have the parts you need https://sportyparts.com/ At one time they carried all the racing parts from the HD catalog. I haven't been over there recently, and they have new owners.

Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 08:16:46 AM »
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 09:09:15 AM »
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline mc2032

• Reliability and performance are highly overrated.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 10:09:02 AM »
I mounted an aftermarket GSXR fairing on the Sportster (with much assistance from Bob "Stainless" Steele) using a bracket similar to the one shown on Airtech's web page.  Four point mounting and rock solid.  Granted, there were a few more steps involved than just the front bracket/mount but overall was fairly painless.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 03:09:33 PM by mc2032 »
#1032 1350 A, APS-PBG & F, #1000 I/BFL.  My number is 241.273.

Offline Unforgiven

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 08:54:46 PM »
Airtech can guide you in mounting this.....

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/vintage/vintagefairingsfull.htm

Thanks much. I am shooting for 1000cc MPGPS (Modified Production Gas Partial Streamlining) (Is that right) ? I got the fairing from someone who had it stored. Have a rigid mount sportster frame and a 2008 Buell XB9 motor. Looking for a lighter ironhead frame locally.

Offline Unforgiven

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 08:59:46 PM »

Check-out these photos from Hot Bike https://www.hotbikeweb.com/harley-davidsons-golden-age-racing#page-2

Buck Lovell is the former editor of Hot Bike https://www.facebook.com/bucklovell He knew everyone, including Leo Payne and Mel Disharoon. He lives in South Dekota, and still works as a photographer.

Sporty Parts, in Fullerton, CA may have the parts you need https://sportyparts.com/ At one time they carried all the racing parts from the HD catalog. I haven't been over there recently, and they have new owners.

I've got parts from them in the past. Old owners were good sportster fanatics. I have a lot of my own sportster hoard , but everytime I head one direction, it leads to another. Shooting for a 1000cc MP build with a buell XB9 motor on a rigid mount frame or an early ironhead frame. Someone told me not to get too light.

Offline Unforgiven

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 09:03:15 PM »
Thanks to ya'll for your help and direction.

Offline mtiberio

• ElMo MPG1K 141, LTA MPF1K 137, ECTA MPG1K 118
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 09:19:31 AM »

Thanks much. I am shooting for 1000cc MPGPS (Modified Production Gas Partial Streamlining) (Is that right) ? I got the fairing from someone who had it stored. Have a rigid mount sportster frame and a 2008 Buell XB9 motor. Looking for a lighter ironhead frame locally.

MPS-PG modified (production) partial streamlining - pushrod gas...

I ran that class last year on a 1000cc Guzzi at El Mirage. All I had was a small bullet fairing. I went 139.9, the minimum for a record is 144. Good luck, with the fairing you are looking at and the Buell motor, you should blow that away. If you are thinking about a Bonneville record, that is 169.9 done by fireman Bill on a Guzzi. Beating that will be tough.

Offline Unforgiven

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 04:32:28 PM »
Thanks man, Yep that is the class I am shooting for. Didn't know if I had all the letters correct. Someone told me the AMA event record was 146 and change. I don't know if I want to run that event anyway. H-D used the Cal-Tec wind tunnel to design that fairing on Mr. Leo's motorcycle; Saying it was the best design for that bike. I always liked the Turnip Eater; It looks fast sitting still. I can manage the parts list fairly cheap. Got frame, have engine, have fairing; Have 40 years knowledge and experience with the XL. I should do ok; Except I have never gone fast on salt; Just asphalt and some holligan flat track races. I found the fairing mounts on Airtech's site; So I have that covered. I can come up with side mounts and such. I sure appreciate all the help I get here. Oh yea, I have  a 1968 Moto Guzzi, supposed to be an Eldorado. I kinda like it. I would own a new Eldorado except there isn't a dealer within 1500 miles of me.

Offline **RP**

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 09:04:16 AM »
Looks like Leo mounted the fairing with the fasteners from that time period.  Dzus 1/4 turn buttons and spring plates are the way to go today. Photo of typical brackets on a half fairing with 4 mounting points, may want to go with 6 mounting points on a full fairing.
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 07:20:53 PM »
MPS-PG 191.752 Mellor, T Triumph 2011
MPS-PF 136.346 Woodford, D Harley-Davidson 2014

AMA Records as of July 2017