Author Topic: Seth Hammond to run in lower classes  (Read 17215 times)

Offline racergeo

Seth Hammond to run in lower classes
« on: January 14, 2018, 04:45:47 PM »
  Ran into Seth And wife at a swap meet a few months back. Seth said he thought the salt was history. For the safety of his wife and others who drive his car his wife quietly said "we are going to start running the lower classes". The only class he currently doesn't hold the record in is C/GL. I don't have a lot of years to "getter done" so I'm hopping someone can step forward with some financial help. Hell I can hardly afford to enter let alone compete. I HAVE LESS THEN 40K in my car and support equipment. I am still paying on credit cards from when I set the record in 2007. Can you imagine how fast I could go if I had a mere 10K. Seriously Seth is the most prolific record setter that has ever raced a BV. How can anyone of my means compete? With my car being built over a 5 year period with yours truly and one helper and all parts from Ebay and swap meets 10K is the equivalent of 100K. Looking forward to the flood of support. With 150K I have a car to run against Poteet. Now I am going to take my meds and go back to bed.

Offline Stan Back

Re: Seth Hammond to run in lower classes
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 05:23:23 PM »
Looking at the book -- are Seth Hammond and No Nitro Hammond related?   Or the same?  Is No Nitro really Seth "on the wagon"?

I sent my $10,000 contribution to a prince in Nigeria who promises to double it in a week and send it to you!  I'm listing you as a dependent for 2017.  (I back-dated it as the new tax bill has me still confused.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 05:47:13 PM »
Seth & No Nitro, same Hammond. His lakester might be a little big for the small classes but he could probably just scale it down & bang out a new one! :roll:
  Sid.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 09:13:46 PM »
   Yea, big or not very slippery. A cost is no object LS with about 900 HP ( like the Under funded NASCAR teams make ) would still bump the record up to high 280's. Seth isn't too happy unless he bumps a couple of his records up every year. Do the research.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 09:10:07 AM »
Seth & No Nitro, same Hammond. His lakester might be a little big for the small classes but he could probably just scale it down & bang out a new one! :roll:
  Sid.

I don't have any data to back it up but...

my feeling is that the old car might of been a little better overall aero wise.  The new car looks more aero but has a fair amount more frontal area to make the car easier to get into.  A number of the current records might of been set with the old car (which also evolved over the years).  I don't have a record book with me so can't be sure of that.  I think the new car started running in 2007 or '08.

I lived down a washboard gravel road (7 miles) for years.  If you were accelerating on it you seemed to have more control.  Once at a fixed speed the car moved around more.  My thought is the salt is similar now.  If your car is accelerating at a good rate, think Poteet, you have more stability vs. a car that runs the last 1-2 miles on the long course struggling to make another 30 mph over that distance.  The other main ingredient I believe is traction control as it can react much fast than a human can to a spinning wheel.

Suspension can help but over say 250 can it react near fast enough to deal with the track's condition?  Cars running in the under 250-275 mph range are going to probably need it for sure now and it will be more effective in the under 200 mph cars.  The really fast cars can take advantage of it up to the point it isn't effective but past that point I feel it will be medium to high constant acceleration and traction control that will be needed.  A number of really fast cars were still really fast the last couple years while the cars that accelerated slower struggled with handling.  In Seth's case safety might increase since the car won't be going as fast if something bad happens, but the car might actually be harder to control, since it won't be accelerating as fast as it does with the larger motors.  One solution might be to gear the car to just run to the 3 or 4.  The foregoing is just my gut feeling and nothing more.

Sumner
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 09:14:44 AM by Sumner »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 10:09:11 AM »
Not sure about cars, but on a bike you do NOT want to back off on the throttle if the back end starts lose traction and to come around.  Keeping the tire spinning prevents a high-side flip.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 12:33:31 PM by SPARKY »

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 07:51:45 PM »
The old 77 was a really good looking tank that nailed down a lot of records with a lot of family members in it's day before it crashed. I believe that was originally Tim Rochlitzer's lakester.
  Sid.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 01:06:13 AM »
    Stan, a quick update. Money is flowing in from all kind of sources. Thanks too you I'm flooded with new found wealth. Will I have to pay tax on the check I got from a fellow from New York. He bought a 96 Civic I had on Craig's List, paid twice what I was asking and a couple extra thousand for handling the shippers. Who knew Honda's were difficult to get in NY. You are truly wise beyond your years.    Thanks George

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 08:00:26 PM »
There is a reason Seth does not hold the C/GL yet. It's called respect.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline racergeo

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 12:56:26 AM »
 I know Seth's incredible car was built for him to post the fastest open wheel record of all time.I even asked him if that were the case. He said " I have two turbo chargers  already". Such a shame the timing of the salt going bad and some of the incredible cars yet to reach there full potential. One that looked awesome (to me) was the Eddy's chop shop streamliner. Looks to have great potential. Such a beautiful build. Maybe we'll get lucky and see the full potential of some of these. Especially Danny Thompson  :cheers: 

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 09:53:46 AM »
I know Seth's incredible car was built for him to post the fastest open wheel record of all time...

There currently is a pretty fast open wheel record...

Blown Fuel Lakester - /BFL  .....DRM Racing-Tony Waters F. Dannenfelzer 10/09 366.586 mph

Sumner

Offline racergeo

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 08:56:17 PM »
    I think Seth is thinking in the 400 mph neighborhood. I think "Fast" posted a 380 exit? Seth is thinken his car is a Little more aero.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 07:45:59 PM »
Seth's car is certainly beautiful and extremely nicely built but looking at the numbers that he has run with his present engine combinations I highly doubt that it has the capability to run 400  mph without some aero improvements and a very large injection of horse power.  Going from his fastest record, which is 324 in the A unblown fuel lakester configuration, to go 400 mph in that configuration he would need to have about 88% more horse power, which means probably at least 2500 hps. That is a pretty stout BBC. That is certainly a number that could be made but it would be expensive and it does need to run WFO for 5 miles and he would probably need to have some sort of wing or ground effects arrangement to get traction, i.e. more drag. It would be great to see him try!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Online Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 08:42:51 PM »
Excellent points Rex....

I wonder what made Fred Dannenfelzer go 386 MPH pulling that big wing of his.....  :-)
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2018, 09:57:19 PM »
lots of nitro.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah