Landracing Forum Home
February 18, 2018, 08:32:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
BACK TO LANDRACING.COM HOMEPAGE

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

Live Audio Streaming and Archives of Past Events
Next Live Event: TBD
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 3099 times)
Rex Schimmer

Only time and money prevent completion!

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2018, 03:00:30 PM »

I definitely agree with Sid, the Simpson part seems to be one of the least restrictive for entry and exit to close cockpit situations. My son, Duke, aka "The Hero Driver" uses one and he is about 6 ft and weights about 175 lbs, broad of shoulder and narrow of hip but he fits into (and get out of) our car(which is 25 in. dia and the frame rails are 18 inches apart) very well. Of course he has the advantage of youth and he is a world class rock climber which makes him stronger than hell! I have attache a pic of the drive area in our car for comparison to yours, pretty small.

I have also attache a pic of the P-38 (Lockheed Interceptor) blue print that I have.

Rex

* cockpit r.jpg (106.18 KB, 800x600 - viewed 66 times.)

* P-38 r.jpg (127.59 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 77 times.)

Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.
Lemming Motors

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2018, 10:53:11 AM »

Thanks for the pic Rex - there is a flying legends display at Duxford in the UK in July and there will be a P-38 coming over from Austria on the flight line - there does not appear to even be one on display in he UK. Definitely want to see that in the flesh.

A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.
Speed Limit 1000

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2018, 07:25:44 PM »

Thanks for the pic Rex - there is a flying legends display at Duxford in the UK in July and there will be a P-38 coming over from Austria on the flight line - there does not appear to even be one on display in he UK. Definitely want to see that in the flesh.

There might be one in Wales.

http://blog.flightstory.net/430/lockheed-p-38-lightning-found-on-uk-beach/

John

John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20
edinlr

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2018, 08:58:36 PM »

I would hold off on the helmet purchase until close to driving time.  The helmets are dated and you could get a helmet that is already a year or two old and then it might be a while before you race.  Why risk just being able to have a five year helmet.

Honda CX650 turbo
Lemming Motors

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2018, 08:39:01 AM »

Imagine building sand castles and unearthing a P-38.

Talking of beaches; I am going to get the helmet to finalise roll structure but also I need to do some driving to shake down - there are a couple of runway opportunities in the UK but also and significantly there are a few events on Pendine Sands so I can pretend to be Malcolm Campbell or Parry_Jones (Bluebird / Babs).

In the next week I plan to be in a position to send to tech my latest (last) evolution of the roll structure and then its time to replacing the waste pipe with cold drawn seamless (CDS / DOM) and the duct tape with TIG welds.

A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.
Seldom Seen Slim
Administrator

Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2018, 10:32:53 AM »

A sidebar about helmet buying/"expiration date":

In the grand scheme of things, a helmet that'll be valid for 10 years won't suffer for being a year old when you really need to use it.  There'd be 90% life remaining.  Not a big deal, and prudence says you might consider replacing it before the final day, anyway.

That, however, depends on your buying a helmet that's as new as possible.  If you're shopping in a store you can check for yourself and make sure you get something fresh, but if you're buying online please consider specifying that the helmet must brand new (i.e. valid for the longest possible time) and that you'll return it if it isn't.

Keep that in mind when buying and you likely won't regret getting the helmet early.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: