Author Topic: UK Lakester build G/GL  (Read 289661 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: UK Lakester build G/GL
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 08:23:06 PM »
Sid, is your moniker related to your country of origin? I grew up in Gisborne.

I was looking at fire suits to test 'fit' and checked the rule book SFI rating requirements then realised it's the 'real' ones - 5 layer and all that. I think I can afford the build but not the suit. Someone mentioned how the suit raises and pushes you forward and now I think I understand the concern. Guess they are not so 'flexible' either.

John
Yeah Mate, I grew up in the Palmy area.
You don't have to buy a new fire suit for SCTA, it just has to be in good condition with correct tags so keep an eye on the forum. An SFI-20 will give you better protection plus you might get a chance at driving somebody else's fast junk one day. Meantime just pile on some clothing to simulate it & remember there's also a head & neck support now too.
It looks like you've been influenced by formula cars with the raised leg thing, that in it's self is going to hinder getting out of there. You need to slide ya butt forward to get out from under the cage before you can come up.
I'm with Nathan on the cage tubes rolling out to the rail too. Both strength & easier build em straight plus that allows you to then add helmet supports inside that to set the 2" max distance. You might want to move that steering cross tube forward too.
  Sid.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 08:36:06 PM »
John
 One thing I learned when building my race car that started as a lakester and I latter converted to rear engine roadster was that getting into the car was easy gravity is your friend. However getting out was a really problem. As others have suggested until you are completely suited up with the 15 or 20 suit the hauns device and the current SFI helmet the difficulty on getting out of the car will not be certain.  Also adding to the fun is how difficult exiting is when you have the steering wheel in there as well as the seat belts required.  Another thought is as we age we may get a little shorter but most of us have also gotten at times much wider lots to think about but worth the thought process so you can be safe have fun and then go fast.
   Ronnieroadster

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:37:41 PM by ronnieroadster »
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 12:05:08 AM »
My build started in 2006 when I was a limber 53 years old.  The next run at b'ville will be when I am 65.  Some youthful flexibility is lost.  This is real apparent when I try to fold up into a small shape.  Look at the top of the roll cage and give yourself some extra clearance if you plan to race for a long time.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 07:57:55 AM »
  I am now dealing with a 75 year old body---wise words WW  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 01:04:31 PM »
Thanks everyone for the comments and insights.

At this stage I can get in and out very easily. I race canoe (marathon sit and switch) and we do a lot of fast portaging; that means that at a 'middle aged' 57 I have a good core (inside some beer insulation) and can lift my self up on the top rails (like parallel bars / gymnast). I hear you regarding the aging process though.

I had a wee play with the tubes as discussed by others and propose the following for your review. Are there too many tubes in the side elevation? Can you have too many?

I must admit standing on the start line and hearing that Bockscar had rolled gave me a real shock (so I am very amenable to safety upgrades), then heard the driver was okay and was relieved, then quite pleased (sorry) that it might not be upping those records and perhaps give some mortals a chance, then disappointed to hear Stainless is rebuilding but I am following the diary closely and with huge respect.

I have taken the top hoop (right hand as viewed) straight down as discussed. It sacrifices some frontal area so probably costs a mile an hour or three.

Quite a lot of duct tape used in this revision but no ferrous metals have been harmed so far.

Oh, and in answer to an earlier question: S2000 engine and g'box.
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 01:28:34 PM »
Ford S2000 engine?

Iron or alloy head?
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 01:33:22 PM »
My bad. Honda S2000.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 01:45:04 PM »
My bad. Honda S2000.

Ahh, makes more sense now.

F20C I presume.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:47:29 PM by fordboy628 »
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2018, 02:26:37 PM »
Nice job on the cage redesign! I especially like the addition of some diagonals to support the rear roll  loop, much better load paths. I don't believe that you can have to much in the way of bracing and diagonals so great job. I am looking forward to your actually build as to see if you continue your tube joint design, which is to have all of the tube center lines at joint cross at a common point. That is the strongest and stiffest design. Check out some off road truck builds and look at their tube joints, that is how it is done.

Great job!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2018, 03:46:31 PM »
Make sure you factor in helmet padding and cheek bars, there are maximum distances allowed on clearance, but don't make it so tight you can't keep your helmet off it. If you've never experienced head shake you're in for a rude shock the first time you drive it. It isn't just vibration, it stops your eyes working completely, like getting a scuba mask full of muddy water.

When we installed our second version of the cheek bars (when they were mandated) I drew a line down from them to where your coccyx would be and set them on that line. I did that because if they are on a vertical plane and the helmets hits them it will give your neck a work-over not unlike the big knot on a noose does. You want the helmet to strike in a way that your spine stays straight.

Also in your cage design consider how they might cut the front of it off if you need to be extracted from it in the event of an upset, around the front of the cage is a good place.

I'm in the keep the floor flat so you can slide school but like some other schools I went to I might be kicked out of it, I'm watching your build with interest.

I see you're hoping to take it to Wendover....bring it here, it's an unforgettable experience and we throw in free cricket lessons. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2018, 11:41:40 PM »
Thanks everyone for the comments and insights.

I must admit standing on the start line and hearing that Bockscar had rolled gave me a real shock (so I am very amenable to safety upgrades), then heard the driver was okay and was relieved, then quite pleased (sorry) that it might not be upping those records and perhaps give some mortals a chance, then disappointed to hear Stainless is rebuilding but I am following the diary closely and with huge respect.

I was driving the Bockscar and it gave me more than just a shock. All the safety equipment worked well, even though the right cheek of the helmet cracked. I had no neck, head or back problems. We hope that the new car will be better and faster. Good luck on your build. Stainless and I helped John Goodman get his car ready to get some records. We look forward to competing with your car.

John

John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2018, 01:14:40 AM »
Lemming John, don't feel bad that you felt relieved... and disappointed... we have all had mixed emotions over racing.  If it is any consolation, we have been collecting and planning the Bockscar rebuild for several years.... Johnboy's wreck just forced our hand a bit.
If you have been reading for a while, you probably know that WoS was going to be a 2 liter lakester shootout... at least between John Goodman and me.  I was going to run on his record and he was running on mine.  We discussed those records and both knew those records were a bit low and wanted to get them up to the numbers we thought we should do.  The wreck ruined that bit of fun, so we went on without the Bockscar and raced John's Kansas Twister.  To me, that is Bonneville... it is about going out and racing, seeing old friends, making new friends.
I have written this multiple times, there are no records that are out of reach, mere mortals set every record that is in the book... and sooner or later they will all be broken, just like they were broken when the were set the last time.
As Johnboy said we welcome the competition and look forward to seeing you at the salt.   I wish you would have come by, introduced yourself and told us about your lakester plan... we will do that the next time....
When you get the car ready, and get it over here, let me know if there is anything we can do to help.  If you are shorthanded, we can help find or provide bodies you need.
Your mock up is very impressive, looks like it should be strong and safe... just be sure you can easily enter and exit... it does not have to be comfortable... you are only in it for a short time. 
See ya on the salt   8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2018, 04:03:23 AM »
Dr Goggles; the cricket jibe went straight over my head; I'm a kiwi (just happen to live in the UK). And it looks like the Pom's have got some one day players - they just cant keep it going for a proper match.

Just a squeeze.

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 04:15:10 AM »
John, Stainless

I was on the start line for the last run of Bockscar 1.0. I definitely would have visited earlier had I known - we spent a lot of time combing the pits but for such a recordy car (don't think that's a word) I missed your pits and only recognised it on the start line; oh crap - that's Bockscar - need to go check it out, incident, okay, now might not be a good time.

So you noticed the G/GL Bonneville number was 'relatively' low? I was hoping I was the only one who had spotted that.  :-D

I'm a couple of years out and actively negotiating with the steering committee regarding diverting funds - I think Tracey could be talked into a holiday in 2019, around August, California somewhere, and, er, I'll just nip off to Wendover for a week - I want to 'experience' tech, lurk around the licensing runs and be better informed. By the time I ship Squeeze over the G/GL record will be 220 and change and I'll settle for 200mph in a car I built myself, maybe.

Just a squeeze.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 05:57:56 AM »
By the time I ship Squeeze over the G/GL record will be 220 and change and I'll settle for 200mph in a car I built myself, maybe.

That old chestnut.....

Dr Goggles; the cricket jibe went straight over my head; I'm a kiwi (just happen to live in the UK). And it looks like the Pom's have got some one day players - they just cant keep it going for a proper match.

Ah, another Kiwi, you guys punch way above your weight on cars....you don't know Mark Love and Dave Rosewarne by any chance?
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.