Author Topic: Lakester Front Suspension  (Read 20369 times)

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
Lakester Front Suspension
« on: December 18, 2017, 09:03:12 PM »
I’m targeting building a 280/290 mph car and I know Seth’s Hammond latest Lakester is usually stable at speed. Seth’s car he has a unique front suspension that I like. Additionally DLRA363 has a similar front suspension, picture attached.  I’m sure there are many ways to get the job done but I’d like to see if anyone can contribute pictures of successful designs.

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Lakester Front Suspension
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 10:02:19 PM »
Timely for me to Skip... I'm sure you don't need a pic of our VW based front end... I am also looking to do something different.... mostly because the crash destroyed the VW parts. 
I am watching for pics with ya....  :cheers: 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 10:15:45 AM »

I have a few pictures of different types of suspension here...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvilleother/bville%20other%20index.html

Sumner

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 05:10:35 PM »
Skip.
I think that the suspension on the Aussie lakester is a great way to go. It keeps the suspension parts mostly out of the wind and also it would be fairly easy to add wing shaped fairing around the axle, steering and suspension, which if you are planning to go 290 will be important. I have attached a pic of the front suspension on my son and myself's small lakester. Our challenge was to get every thing inside the body, not completely successful, had to make a couple of blisters to cover one of the links, but Duke has a plan to fix that for this year. Our body dia is 25 inches but where the suspension is it is only 13 inch dia. at the front and 18 inch dia. where the shocks mount. We ended up with a lot of parts but it works pretty well.  You do need a strong front axle, ours is a 1.50 x .125 wall 4130 inter tube and a 1.75 x .125 wall outer tube, 4130 material. Our front wheel loads are pretty light at 200 lbs/wheel.

Looking forward to watching your lakester build, I know it will be interesting and inovative. You planning to run your roadster engine?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline strmlr555

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 07:44:32 PM »
I wonder if torsion bar suspension would be the ticket , i have an older silver crown sprint car with torsion and it is pretty nimble for the big alc injected small block 410 c.i.,
it is much better @IRP than the stallard chassis (traditional coil over type setup.) that usually wants to stand on the right rear after 5 or so laps.

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 01:49:51 AM »
Sumner
I’ve spent many hours on your fine site combing technical inspiration.

Rex
Yep, using the Roadster Engine Combination.

strmir555
I know torsion bar cars as I spent 10 years wheeling dirt/pavement Midgets. Two home-built (parallel rear/cross torsion front, it was my design and a clone Bultler 4 coil) as well as an Edmunds lightweight dirt car.
Skip's Garage

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 10:13:54 AM »
Don't be coy.  We're shooting for 300.  :-D :wink:
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 02:24:22 PM »
Skip,
As I remember you are planning to run a flat bottom car, much easier to fab, so if you run suspension you will need to make sure that you run some good bump rubbers to keep the car off of the ground. I would think that you would want the front suspension stiffer than the rear and the rear should be somewhat soft to provide lots of compliance and traction. The good part of a flat bottom car is the ability to have some pretty good ground effects for down force. Some rake on the chassis, and a diffuser at the rear should provide some great down force without the drag penalty of wings. I know you are thinking about all of this in your design. With they hp of your engine combo 300 should be attainable but you will really need to pay attention to the aero.

Rex
Rex

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 01:33:20 PM »
Hi Rex

Well you know me I can’t help myself. The design has advanced to try and get as much aero as feasible. Parts and tubing have arrived, so watch for a build thread.

For the front, I’ve noodle over every form of torsion bar suspension and can’t seem to get it compatible with the axle fairing. Therefore I’m just going to focus on the Seth Hammond concept and try to design a tuneable version.

Skip
Skip's Garage

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 04:17:21 PM »
Skip,
Both you and Nathan are pretty stout guys, are you considering a "slimmer" driver, cuts down on the frontal area.

I would bet that my boy, Duke, would drive it, he gets in our little lakester pretty easy. He will have his 200 mph license next year, and maybe a record. (we hope!)

Rex
Rex

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 09:39:24 PM »
REX what are you thinking  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 11:43:16 AM »
Rex,
That’s ballast to get the CP behind the CG.  :-D
Skip
Skip's Garage

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2017, 12:33:27 PM »
Skip do you have a picture of Seth's frt. susp.?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2017, 12:57:53 PM »
Skip said: "That’s ballast to get the CP behind the CG" That is great! Always thinking!!!

Rex
Rex

Offline Skip Pipes

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2017, 01:48:30 PM »
Sparky
It’s a photo from Hot Rod Magazine. I'll try and post it.
Skip
Skip's Garage