Author Topic: Arm Restraints  (Read 23780 times)

Offline Ron Gibson

Re: Arm Restraints
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 11:26:24 AM »
Page 13 shows 3" and 4", 3 bar adjusters separately as hardware.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2018, 01:08:44 AM »
Are arm (and leg) restraints sewed to the suit to prevent the possibility of arm/hand (leg/foot) slipping out?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2018, 09:23:58 PM »
For records over 400 there is talk of ball sack restraints & eyeball retainers. :mrgreen:
  Sid.

Offline Dr. Spin

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 02:42:19 PM »
Official statement on the "new" Arm Restraint rule:Background
The Technical Committee has observed failures of SFI Spec 3.3 arm restraints in multiple incidents over the past several years. This has prompted a rule modification to minimize these failures at our LSR venues by addressing the potential causes of those observations. Note: this change in the rule is NOT manufacture specific.
The New/Modified Rule:
Here is the wording of the modified rule changes are in BOLD/CAPITALIZED:
….SFI specification 3.3 arm restrains with a manufacture date of 2006 or later are required in all vehicles. IN ADDITION: ALL ARM RESTRAINT HARWARE MUST BE OF A SINGLE PIECE MANUFACTURE. I.E. NO TWO PIECE OR WELDED “D” RING STYLE ADJUSTERS. ADJUSTABLE TETHERS SHOULD USE A 3-BAR SYSTEM SIMILAR TO THAT USED IN LAP BELT ADJUSTERS. NON-SEWN IN RESTRAINTS SHALL HAVE A TIGHT FIT AROUND THE NARROWEST PART OF THE ARM. ALL ARM RESTRAINTS MUST BE DEMONSTRATED TO BE EFFECTIVE.
The Problem(s) and Solution(s):
The problems that we are addressing with this modification fall into two categories.
1.   The first being a mechanical failure of the “welded” “D” ring(s) when being used as an adjuster in the restraint.
Our solution for this failure is to disallow the use of Welded or non-one-piece D rings unless they are being used as an attachment ONLY point. Please note that we have not observed failures in the D rings (two) when they are being used only as an attachment ONLY point. An example would be the sewn-in D rings in a fire suit that are being used ONLY as an attachment point.
Discussion: The welded/non-one piece D-rings are failing (pulling apart) when used as an “adjuster”. We have not observed failures when used as an attachment point only (think sewo into the suit).. hence the convoluted wording that is trying to allow one-piece D rings in certain applications… i.e. as an attachment only point OR backed up by a three-bar adjuster… see attached photo…
2.   The second common failure with the D rings is they are “un-adjusting” during multiple impacts.
The solution is to eliminate the D rings when being used as an adjuster and replace with a Three Bar adjuster. I.E. the elimination of D rings for any adjuster application.
Discussion: The welded D rings are essentially made from wire.. i.e. round… and with multiple high G pulls as in a roll-over(s) “slip” to the point of rendering the adjustment useless. We have not observed this with the one-piece D rings as they are manufactured from “stamped” flat stock with edges and do not appear to “slip” like the round or wire stock welded D rings do.  That said I would NOT disallow the three bar “sliding” adjuster as shown in the photo below, as I have not seen any problems as we have discussed so far… however you could ask for a non-slider type three bar to back it up….
200MPH Club X2, Dry Lakes Racing Hall of Fame, Inspector (Car), Past VP SCTA

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2018, 11:35:59 AM »
Morning all, not sure if anybody can answer this as it seems to be a gray area- does any company make non-sewn in arm restraints that will be able to pass the new rule??Looking at the pics that SCTA posted, some without captions, just made it more confusing. :? I talked with Bob Stroud this morning and he doesn't make slip-on style and doesn't know of any other manufacturer that is. I want/need to upgrade mine but don't want to get a set, drive 800+ miles to be told 'sorry' :? Any help or direction would be totally appreciated! Thanks in advance this site contains more good info (and humor :-D ) than anything else around! Great SALT to all this year-go fast and stay SAFE !! :cheers: :cheers:

Offline MRK

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2018, 12:36:31 PM »
Morning all, not sure if anybody can answer this as it seems to be a gray area- does any company make non-sewn in arm restraints that will be able to pass the new rule??Looking at the pics that SCTA posted, some without captions, just made it more confusing. :? I talked with Bob Stroud this morning and he doesn't make slip-on style and doesn't know of any other manufacturer that is. I want/need to upgrade mine but don't want to get a set, drive 800+ miles to be told 'sorry' :? Any help or direction would be totally appreciated! Thanks in advance this site contains more good info (and humor :-D ) than anything else around! Great SALT to all this year-go fast and stay SAFE !! :cheers: :cheers:

Check the SCTA Rules section of this forum. Lot's of chatter regarding the arm restraint rule change. Might give you some more insight.
Cheers.
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline jdincau

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2018, 12:50:59 PM »
Call DJ Safety at (323) 221-0000
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2018, 12:54:32 PM »
Morning MRK, duhh, I completely overlooked that section, you hit it on the head with your advise, the pic that Nathan posted on the last page answered my question without the gray(I have ENUF of that already :-D)area, because that is exactly the type that I have that apparently will not work, so it's off to Summit to check out some new ones or DJ directly maybe.Thanks so much for your quick perfect reply! :cheers: :cheers: Have a super fast safe summer! Ed update: thanks to you also jdincau, got the number and I'm on it ! Thx

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2018, 01:19:13 PM »
I think you have to go directly to DJ and tell they need to be SCTA spec. Evidently they add the three bar to make it SCTA compliant. I should get my new ones and re-certed belts from DJ today or tomorrow. Now have three sets :-(.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2018, 09:58:55 PM »
Hi all , been trying to connect with DJ Safety and have left several VM's and sent a back-up email and no reply at all. Now I know that this is the busy time of the year, I understand that, so does anybody have a end-run way to get them to at least answer the phone or email??  :? :| thanks again to all who put me on the right track, now if I can just get the train rollin' ......... :-D :dhorse:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2018, 11:46:38 AM »
Same story here.  I'm hoping it's just a holiday week issue.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline DallasV

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2018, 12:41:38 PM »
We just ordered some arm restraints from Rick White at Autopower. Told him we needed for the new rules and he is a salt flats guy so I'm assuming they will be ok. just throwing that out there
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2018, 02:02:04 PM »
Hi DallasV, let's hope so, do you have avy contact info for him? I think MM may be correct that it is a holiday thing-let's HOPE so-thanks for your help :cheers:

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2018, 11:14:08 AM »
Great news!!  :cheers:  Just got thru almost instantly to DJ, and my approved arm restraints are on their way! I didn't ask, but prety sure MM hit it on the head-probably closed for the holiday!  Great salt to all-go FAST and stay safe!! :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2018, 12:10:21 PM »
Called DJ just now - asked for Ben - and they're on their way.  323-221-0000 

~ $39.00 + shipping - got $10.00 off of the $49.00 price as a "Bonneville Discount".
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: