Author Topic: El Mirage – To Be or Not To Be  (Read 59841 times)

Offline jl222

Re: El Mirage – To Be or Not To Be
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2017, 09:37:42 PM »
JL222 - What do you think could be done to solve the problem of people running out the back door?

BLM should give SCTA more run off area. 1/2 mile or more? Its only 8 days of the year.

Put up 4 ft orange signs made of card board or a 4 x 8 section of  foam insulation with red led lights

4 x 8 Sections would have to be modified to let wind through our just big letter cut outs.

Sighs say STOP.

Put up the red ribbon with light weight sticks  

Put up 2nd section to run through with cardboard cut out of a black and white patrol car.

Pull both chutes at inspection

Hand out flyers at registration with course lay out and shut off instructions

Any one powering through these should be suspended for at least a year

I'm sure the SCTA will come up with improvements and there is probably more good ideas

JL222
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 12:09:46 AM by jl222 »

Offline Beef Stew

« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2017, 09:44:29 PM »

Must have been a flat spot in the forest for the chopper to land and the bikers were in the flat spot to and you saw it happen?

It was on a ridge-line west of Sierra Highway. In that part of Angeles National Forest off-road vehicle trails tend to follow ridge-lines.

I hate long boring stories, but you asked. I was a member of a four-wheel-drive club. We regularly helped the Forest Service maintain these trails, although we didn't use these trails. The trail were mainly used by the dirt-bike riders, not by four-wheeler's. Spinning Knobbies cut trenches, if these mini-trenches are not filled-in with rocks and compacted dirt, they become maxi-trenches during the next rainfall. During a wet winter trails can, and will, be destroyed.

I've lived a long and interesting life. I've been-there-and-done-that many, many times. I've known many people that you only read about in books/magazines (I've known both Dean Moon and John Holmes). If one of my stories appears to be over-the-top, just remember that I have no reason to lie.
Former record holder at RIR ½ mile drags, El Mirage and Bonneville.

Beef Stew doesn't have his head where the sun-don't-shine. His head is in SoCal where the unusual is an everyday happening.

Offline edinlr

« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2017, 09:55:43 PM »
One thing that some of the other organizations do is if you go faster than you were supposed to for a licensing pass is that you don't get a timing ticket.  This plus losing eligibility for a record run might be an incentive to pay attention.  As I said in an earlier post, I think a drive through in the driver's meeting should be mandatory no matter how experienced you think you are.  Give drivers their stickers only after they have completed the drive through on the course.
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2017, 02:46:50 PM »
chartreuse green cones after the balloons should do it

916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2017, 07:58:08 PM »

Thundersalt ...Did you see those signs and lights?

jl222

There are bright red flashing LEDs on top of the big giant fluorescent orange end markers that have always been there.  The flashing LEDs have been there for a few events now.  I easily spotted them on all of my 200+ mph runs this season. 

Running off the west end of the lake bed into the pucker bushes is equally as dangerous as running into a net.  A driver/rider would get seriously injured or killed.  Neither are really legitimate options IMO.   
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2017, 12:46:27 AM »
DAM I had a great post that I lost!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2017, 01:07:33 PM »
JL those were some good ideas
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2017, 04:32:30 PM »
Its been an interesting read thus far that's for sure.

I will say  this about one of the out the backdoor instances earlier this season that imho opinion the guy was a complete moron. He was still in the throttle well past the back door. His reasoning, he couldn't see. This was in a roadster that's gone well past 200 at both EM and Bonneville. This guy wasn't a rookie either. Im a friggen rookie and know that if I cant see to cut the power, dump the laundry and come to a safe stop. What the hell was that guys problem. That's not a lack of education that's just stupidity in my eyes.

I like Jims idea of turning the course around.

Another idea came to mind and I don't think its been brought up or maybe I missed it in between Sparky and JL's arguing. Funny how Troy was one of the out the back door violations in November. Yes I know it was a combination of breakage and other issues.

THe idea that came to mind is what about approaching the BLM about just completely closing the lake bed to anyone other than SCTA racers for the race days. So we have to pay a little more in entry fees in order for the BLM to be willing to close off the lake bed. Id rather pay a little extra for the 6 races a year than not have an option other than hit or miss Bonneville or hauling my car from AZ to Arkansas. Just a thought.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2017, 11:26:59 PM »
Tried to control myself all day but couldn't do it..."Troy drives at El Mirage and the last meet, I just called to see if he has ever seem them......."
.........as  he was driving out the back...................... :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Didn’t see any flashing lights as both my chutes didn’t open and only had front by brakes at this meet.   New pilot chutes bought new brakes bought and i didn’t get an official out the back door because i got back inside the cones quickly.  I thought our conversation was on the down low. 

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2017, 12:28:09 AM »
What was the issue with the chutes?
If the pilots popped and didnt pull the chutes out-- you need to reorient the chutes so they will shoot them up or to the sides of the car ----you have to get them in to CLEAN AIR---not back into the dirty area--ie no slip steam right behind the car

Offline jl222

« Reply #115 on: December 09, 2017, 03:45:33 AM »
What was the issue with the chutes?
If the pilots popped and didnt pull the chutes out-- you need to reorient the chutes so they will shoot them up or to the sides of the car ----you have to get them in to CLEAN AIR---not back into the dirty area--ie no slip steam right behind the car

Chutes are aimed up and to sides and always have been. Problems are fixed.

JL222
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 11:30:32 AM by jl222 »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: December 09, 2017, 11:42:39 AM »
great---I learned that lesson almost the hard way---once at El M my primary pilot just bobbed along behind the car.  We had not "cocked" the pilot to shoot out to the side. Rear facing camera picked that up.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2017, 11:51:44 PM »
Frankie---he must have had what I call the GOT TOOs ---- Neil called it target fixation! 
 You called for the correct behavior---  LIFT, slow down until you are at a speed the visibility warrants coming to a full stop if necessary.

Offline handyguy

• BANTAM FOURPLAY
« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2017, 09:18:05 AM »
   For the May Elmo meet  , have all drivers / riders complete a finish line orientation of the newest  SCTA procedures and equipment updates at the finish line  with a  helmet sticker or  wrist band  showing that they  have seen how and where to  successfully stop .  This orientation would have 10 to 15  rider / drivers at a time starting Friday , continuing through weekend as needed .       STEVE  ANDERSON    '40  BANTAM  #104   SCTA INSPECTOR  520 591 6318

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2017, 09:41:11 AM »
Has the BLM been asked for what they see as a solution besides shutting down the meet?