Author Topic: New build, new to LSR, APS/G 1350cc and P/PP 500  (Read 21242 times)

Offline Jruff5585

• Aces and Eights Motorcycles
Re: New build, new to LSR, APS/G 1350cc and P/PP 500
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2018, 04:15:37 PM »
Getting started on wiring front to back

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 05:32:39 PM by Jruff5585 »

Offline Jruff5585

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2018, 05:30:34 PM »
Five hours squaring up the bike and just fitting the rear section

Offline Bookfla

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2018, 01:43:09 PM »
the squish in the Thunderstorm head was 15 deg, the squish on the piston was 10 deg. Soooo after re-cutting the the squish to ten deg I ended up taking .045 off the head. Everything clears,so now I need to cc the head.

I have found that opening up intake ports such as this may be detrimental to over all intake velocity. Got to be careful how much parent material is being removed. I would highly recommend getting the head on a flowbench, even if it is a small superflow 110 model. Also on the intake port it appears to have moved from centerline and will require some manifold work to match.

My wife runs one of these bikes and has a few national records. Good luck setting it up.

Offline Jruff5585

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2018, 12:51:40 AM »
the squish in the Thunderstorm head was 15 deg, the squish on the piston was 10 deg. Soooo after re-cutting the the squish to ten deg I ended up taking .045 off the head. Everything clears,so now I need to cc the head.

I have found that opening up intake ports such as this may be detrimental to over all intake velocity. Got to be careful how much parent material is being removed. I would highly recommend getting the head on a flowbench, even if it is a small superflow 110 model. Also on the intake port it appears to have moved from centerline and will require some manifold work to match.

My wife runs one of these bikes and has a few national records. Good luck setting it up.  

The pics are destorted for some reason. Very little material was removed more of a clean up rough up, the most was removed shaping around the valve guides the throat was pretty much left alone. The intake port lines up with the manifold, I'm pretty sure it's the pic that makes it look bad, they look oval in the pics and they are not. I'm not looking for big results from the Blast, I want my daughter to have some fun and some great memories with me.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 12:54:12 AM by Jruff5585 »

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2018, 06:00:39 AM »
Jruff: I'm not looking for big results from the Blast, I want my daughter to have some fun and some great memories with me.

I don't want to tell you what to do and I have not that much experience at Bonneville, but from what I saw with other guys racing along with me at Bonneville:

All those that built a bike "just for fun" usually ended up breaking it badly on their rookie run...

Lack of focus at build time (it's only for fun...) cost them a week of racing and maybe a record cause some of these bikes did look great.

Get focussed on both bikes like they're the last thing you'll ever do, it'll repay both of you a thousand times in the long run.

Patrick
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline Jruff5585

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2018, 02:25:04 PM »
Jruff: I'm not looking for big results from the Blast, I want my daughter to have some fun and some great memories with me.

I don't want to tell you what to do and I have not that much experience at Bonneville, but from what I saw with other guys racing along with me at Bonneville:

All those that built a bike "just for fun" usually ended up breaking it badly on their rookie run...

Lack of focus at build time (it's only for fun...) cost them a week of racing and maybe a record cause some of these bikes did look great.

Get focussed on both bikes like they're the last thing you'll ever do, it'll repay both of you a thousand times in the long run.

Patrick

Ok maybe I need to clarify my statement. First you are right and it is a serious project, I have been spending more time on that bike and it has put mine behind schedule. The just for fun part is; while my daughter is quite competitive, I don't want her to think that she needs to try to chase anything her first time out. If it was a real just for fun bike I would have put her on a stock Blast. BTW it is now APS/PG 500. My daughter swam and ran track in school went to the Junior Olympics, she gave it up because of the coaches and her mother, it wasn't fun anymore. So we'll go to Bonneville, have some fun, no pressure  let her make some runs. She is a lot like me so I'm willing to bet after a few runs it will be game on, if not the bike will go to my girlfriends grandson or be saved for when I have grandkids

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2018, 05:08:37 PM »
Thanks for the update, and accept my apologies for my misreading!!!

I should be at Speed Week on the Salt Flats next year, so maybe see you there...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline Jruff5585

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2018, 01:39:41 PM »
Well down to the wire, just paint and 25 more pounds of lead to shove in somewhere
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 01:41:49 PM by Jruff5585 »

Offline maj

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2018, 08:31:34 PM »
Interesting design, Guppy type intake , And NACA to give a boundry layer ?
You mentioned building a tank is that still on the plans ,
And probably retelling something you know well , but watch the position of your COG/COP 

Offline Jruff5585

« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2018, 05:22:42 PM »
I did build the tank, I used the Busa tank as a shell, the NACA Ducts were put in to push air past my shoulders and vacuum air from under the nose there is a shelf in the nose just above ram air tubes. Small scale testing showed it worked all I can say it was amazingly quite when tucked in, much better then my CBR @185. The bike is very stable over 200, I'm very happy with it. We did have a few issues, three days lost because of mapping issues loaded in to both ECUs may have happened while I was learn to use ECU Editor. On our first good pass on Tuesday we had a wobble at 114 mph it came on like clockwork work, made some body changes and foil tape on the exhaust opening and some holes took care of that and went right through to B license, pissed away most of Thursday making the exhaust bezel out of aluminum and other repairs more permanent then ran a 205 and change for our A license. Then a 208 but the bike was flat with no pickup after fourth gear so we made a gearing change ran a 203. I was in shock we lost speed with shorter gears. Time for one more run I put the dash in for this run and WTF All week we never got out of fourth gear. Ok rookie mistake but I did break 200 my first time at Bonneville and in 4th Gear at that. I had a Shitl load of fun, met a bunch of good people and got to do it with some of my family.
Interesting design, Guppy type intake , And NACA to give a boundry layer ?
You mentioned building a tank is that still on the plans ,
And probably retelling something you know well , but watch the position of your COG/COP  
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 09:31:49 AM by Jruff5585 »

Offline Jruff5585

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2018, 09:16:45 AM »
The Crew

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2018, 09:49:01 AM »
The bike and crew look great! Congratulations on your first runs at Bonneville. Virtually everyone who goes to Bonneville has problems with something or other, it is just part of racing. But you will get them all straightened out I am sure. The problem is that you only get to test your fixes about once a year. Bummer.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer