Author Topic: Speedweekend on Ice 2017  (Read 46943 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Speedweekend on Ice 2017
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 12:42:01 PM »
Thanks a lot guys! :-)

The drift to the left started when Olov shut the engines off, when the jet thrust disappeared the kick and driver caught the wind in 130+km/h and the unsharpened sled runners started sliding sideways on the hard ice track.

Three out of four of all jet kick sleds ever raced at any speed at Speed Weekend ended up crashed, we start to understand why now. The runners are very sensitive to the quality of the track and with bikes and cars tearing up the track with spiked tires it is almost impossible to run a kick sled without hitting one of those tire ditches and being thrown off course.

A new and more suited chassis will be built for the twinturbine engine for next year, so stay tuned! :evil:

Cheers!
/Anders
The rut chasing problem you ski guys are having is common to a sled (snowmobile) with "single skeg" ski's in rutted trails where they want to follow an existing rut. When I'm going to ride mainly trails I switch to a "twin skeg" ski & that totally solves that problem. I've seen guys hauling a$$ on flat trails where a single skeg has taken the sled right out from under them. Due to the size of the ruts you're having to deal with there, you might need to build some super wide ski's to keep you on top.
Something else you'll want to look at is steering geometry. Modern sleds are set up with positive Ackerman to help them turn at low speed but that necessitates a lot of rider weight shift at high speed to prevent them rolling over. In your situation I would be inclined to zero the Ackerman to the length of you vehicle, that will also help prevent a hunting problem.
  Sid. 

Offline Glenn Ocklund

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 08:13:26 AM »

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 05:12:37 PM »
The rut chasing problem you ski guys are having is common to a sled (snowmobile) with "single skeg" ski's in rutted trails where they want to follow an existing rut. When I'm going to ride mainly trails I switch to a "twin skeg" ski & that totally solves that problem. I've seen guys hauling a$$ on flat trails where a single skeg has taken the sled right out from under them. Due to the size of the ruts you're having to deal with there, you might need to build some super wide ski's to keep you on top.
Something else you'll want to look at is steering geometry. Modern sleds are set up with positive Ackerman to help them turn at low speed but that necessitates a lot of rider weight shift at high speed to prevent them rolling over. In your situation I would be inclined to zero the Ackerman to the length of you vehicle, that will also help prevent a hunting problem.
  Sid. 

Thank you very much for your suggestions Sid! We plan to build a dragster style ice yacht with skids to get some kind of steering, the added length will surely improve the handling and make it a bit less sensitive to the grooves and cracks in the ice.

I´ll look into the Ackerman stuff you mentioned, good stuff! Please do explain how it "will help a hunting problem", has auto correct gone mad or is something lost in translation that I don´t get?  :-)

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 08:25:00 AM »
John Ellwood has sent me a CDrom of pics from SpeedWeekend on Ice, and I'll get 'em up here for your viewing perversity/pleasure right away quick.  Your chance to see what you missed will be here soon.  Thanks, Jon  :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Ellwood

• I do landracing on ice-Flying Kilometer in Sweden
    • Ellwood Hybrid - Crankcase Supercharged Prototypes
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 04:29:56 PM »
John Ellwood has sent me a CDrom of pics from SpeedWeekend on Ice, and I'll get 'em up here for your viewing perversity/pleasure right away quick.  Your chance to see what you missed will be here soon.  Thanks, Jon  :cheers: :cheers:

Its all thanks to mark Thomas again

Heres hoping a few more of you Yankees will be coming to visit us next year. i think the standard of our builds is getting quite serious now, and our record speeds have come quite a way since the first race way back

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 05:44:31 PM »
In re:  The pictures.  I asked Bob Clancy how to load 'em, from here - and report that he has talked me into admitting I'm a doofus and that he can do a better job of it.  So I'm mailing the discaroonie to him and he'll get it up there pronto.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2017, 08:20:58 AM »
The SpeedWeekend on Ice photos are now posted.  If nothing else -- find 'em by following form the home page of the site, which you want to visit anyway to see the story about

The Flatfire.

Go to the home page, kids!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Ellwood

• I do landracing on ice-Flying Kilometer in Sweden
    • Ellwood Hybrid - Crankcase Supercharged Prototypes
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2017, 04:43:49 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaargh, photobucket has updated something, and seems to be holding me to ransom for 400 dollars to share my pics to 3rd parties. anyone know how i avoid paying them ?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2017, 11:29:59 PM »
Yep, move your pics elsewhere and hope they don't do the same shit  :x
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O