Author Topic: Bockscar 2.0  (Read 464161 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Bockscar 2.0
« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2018, 11:51:54 PM »
I really like the rotisserie drive, it has made life a lot easier.... well at least it has made moving the frame around for welding a lot easier.  So I made and welded in another batch of tubes... I'm sure there is probably a way to calculate exactly what the tube lengths and angles are... but I am not doing it that way.... I am using my HF protractor and a flat bar to get the angle, then measuring between the verticals on the angle and chop until it fits...  :|  Keeping both sides identical is a little troublesome, but so far I'm staying within the width of the line on the tape.
So here are the next tubes in, one more section to finish, then I guess I'll do the hoop braces... still thinking about anything that needs done in there before I make it really hard to get in.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline salt27

« Reply #211 on: March 02, 2018, 01:50:42 AM »
Hey, it looks like you have some help.   :cheers:

Offline Lemming Motors

« Reply #212 on: March 02, 2018, 05:16:03 AM »
........still thinking about anything that needs done in there before I make it really hard to get in.

If I recall you had a 24" x 16" OD 'fuselage' - its already hard to get in  :-D

John
A Bonneville Lakester please barman.
Certainly sir; a lick of salt, a sip of gas and a twist of Lemming. More Lemming sir?
Just a squeeze.

A Squeeze of Lemming it is sir.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: March 02, 2018, 10:05:04 AM »
Don, that's Ross Powers (MC2032), he is over a couple of times a week to help, have a beer, bring his latest home brew to sample, borrow the mill or lathe or deliver drawings of ideas we discussed over the aforementioned beers.... His cad drawings helped me develop the front roll hoop, getting a lot of it out of the already tight cockpit. 

LMJ, Yea, it is not a big car... although it will be 5/8 of an inch taller than the original  :roll: but when you are building yours it will be easy to understand... when you need to add something after you make it very hard to get to the spot to weld.  So far I've managed to not weld myself into a corner... except for the unavoidable design requirements. 
If I could stand on my head... actuate the pedal by squeezing it between my knees and make great welds, then I wouldn't worry  :roll:
I guess that's why these take time.... at least for me  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline salt27

« Reply #214 on: March 02, 2018, 11:01:45 AM »
I thought it looked like Ross.

Seems as if he had darker hair the last time I saw him, did he color it to match mine?    :-D

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #215 on: March 02, 2018, 11:22:45 AM »
I have T5, brighter than the sun, lights in the shop.... Oh, I've never seen hair on Ross, so color is unknown.... but I usually wear a welding helmet to cut down on the reflection  :-D
Stainless

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #216 on: March 02, 2018, 01:42:56 PM »
I switched mine out for G.E "Daylight"...Holy cow what a change.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #217 on: March 02, 2018, 01:53:03 PM »
It helps to paint your shop floor a bright color; it reflects the light and makes it brighter in the shop. It makes it easier to find small parts that drop on the floor, too. I coated my floor with an epoxy primer over the concrete and then used a Sherwin-Williams industrial urethane coating- bright yellow. It has held up very well.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #218 on: March 02, 2018, 01:54:05 PM »
You can now buy LED direct replacements for T5 and T 8, and you can get them in color choices, like 6500K for daylight/growing and warmer for stuff like the playroom. :roll:  They use a bit more than half the energy that fluorescents do.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #219 on: March 02, 2018, 01:55:09 PM »
Neil,
I like the bright yellow idea, wish I would have thought of that!!! Mine is a light gray.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #220 on: March 02, 2018, 05:11:04 PM »
Stainless;

Yellow might not be the choice of some people but it works very well for me. It brightened the shop by at least 50%.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #221 on: March 02, 2018, 11:21:57 PM »
Well guys the walls are white, the lights are bright... if it was any brighter in the shop I would have to wear shades....
Not much viewable progress today, maybe tomorrow  :cheers:
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #222 on: March 04, 2018, 11:35:50 PM »
The drivers area is framed, everything in the cage is in there except the brace bars between the hoops.  Not welding those in until I have the seat fitted and the dzus fastener receptacles in for that part of the seat... no need to deny myself easy access. 
Of course I will be otherwise engaged for the next 3 weeks.... I don't seem to be able to get the elves in the forest to travel this far to work... Yes Dorthy we are in Kansas... the home of NO National Forests.... so no elves....
Here are the last 3 for a while
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #223 on: March 27, 2018, 11:24:52 AM »
Well it is time to keep going, I fitted the seat, and determined I could make and tack in the brace bars for the hoops.... it was a challenge to make the first  one.... every time I shortened it to fit as I moved it up, the angle changed and needed to be re-cut... of course the second one was easier, I knew the length and the final angles, so it only needed a .031 adjustment... why, because I left myself room for error.... just in case

Then I popped the helmet in on a spring board to ensure it would not go through the bars.
Stainless

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: March 27, 2018, 11:43:29 AM »
OK, now that I know the helmet stops at the bars I jumped in and checked sight lines, they were much better than the old.... I think...
Looked for a way to look at clearances since the selfies didn't work for Subaru...
Yes, there will be roll bar padding, yes the entire hoop will also be capped and padded like the old one... I may need to add a lateral restraint... I don't think so, but we will see
Stainless