Author Topic: Extreme tools boxes?  (Read 18869 times)

Offline VroomVroom

• New folks
Re: Extreme tools boxes?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 06:19:07 PM »
Anyone have one or have they ever seen and used one? They are very cost friendly and the pro series has a 300/600 lb rating which is a little better than snapon...

But that’s just paper... what is reality.

I really need a box, and as much as I would love a 72 inch box, it’s gonna be a 55 inch because I’m poor, retired, married and retired. And married.

Here is a link to a box I’m looking at but from a different dealer.

https://www.nhproequip.com/extreme-tools-ex5511rc-roller-cabinet-tool-box

That is a pretty hefty price tag. I'm sure that you can find a deal on it somewhere online, even for a brand new one.

Offline Slide

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 06:29:15 PM »
I ordered the 72 inch pro series box on Black Friday for 2900 delivered. It should be here next week. I’ll update the post with details on the quality etc then. It was the best deal going for it.

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 08:07:16 PM »
On black weekend I picked up the 44-inch, 13 drawer lower cabinet by US general from Harbor Freight. $359 plus tax.
Have been eyeing up those US general boxes for  years.
The taller drawers have two ball bearing slides on each side.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:09:05 PM by saltwheels262 »
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Slide

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 08:50:19 PM »
A number of years ago, I found  set of metal kitchen cabinets from the 50's that someone was throwing out. I took them apart and had them blasted an powder coated blue. I then built a top on them. I bought the new box in a blue that may or may not match but is similar enough in color. About 2 years ago, my neighbor was throwing out some more of these metal cabinets. So I picked them up with the idea of doing the same as the others. This set is not in as good of shape and is missing one drawer. Ive looked into the powder coating price and it has gone up quite significantly. Its almost the price of buying two kobalt or homak cabinets... I figure I would take the castors off and put a top on them... The storage would be different. I need to find boxes that are not all thin drawers, as well as a few other things, like something deeper than 18 inches.

I have been comparing the general (Id have to spray them as they only come in red) to the kobalt, homak etc... One thing that I have been finding in my research is the cheap homak, craftsman and kobalt and the general spew the parts out of the slides fairly quick. I have a small craftsman proffessional box and that amongst a host of other reasons is why I wouldnt buy another bigger version as my main box.

But for these side boxes, used for infrequent use, storage etc, its not a bad idea.

I have also found that just like HF, kobalt and Homak have different levels of box and sometimes different qulity of the same part number box. Its just really hard to find out which is which ....Unlike HF whom have a slightly different item number for different versions of the same tool/item.

Its moot for now, Im broke for a bit....

I can tell you one thing though for certainty. I bought my box from rockin toolboxes, they were having a huge deal and it was about $500 cheaper than anywhere else. Here is the bad part. Once they have your money, forget about them getting back to you. I finally gave up and called the tool box company.  They have a very intricate and definite delivery system and inspection requirement, that is hidden in the website. The notification time line was off compared to their delivery instructions, and as the client is on the hook for some serious delivery fees if you are not laying prostrate for the unknown LTL freight company... It was getting slightly concerning. I still have not heard back from the selling company. All they have done since is sent me an automated email saying the "product shipped"...

So exactly how i am to contact the freight company to set up my delivery window in an appropriate amount of time Ill never know.

I have since heard great things from people on the garage journal who ordered their boxes through strictly tool boxes....

Offline edinlr

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 10:13:40 PM »
I bought another of the Husky boxes at Home Depot on Saturday on special for $199 through Christmas.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46-in-9-Drawer-Mobile-Workbench-with-Solid-Wood-Top-Black-7440946R/206839475
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline Slide

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2017, 10:48:08 PM »
Those are awesome. That whole family of boxes. I wish those came in Blue. However at the price you paid I’d be happy to tape them up and paint them.
I’ll have to keep my eye out for after the new year to see if they go on sale like that again.

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 12:32:14 AM »
I have one of the HF US Genera 44 inch boxes, bottom, top, and both side cabinets. It is my main box at work. I'm a class 8 truck dealership mechanic. The large bottom drawer holds 3/4 and 1 inch drive sockets and impacts. All of the drawers are full and I've been working from it 10 hours a day for the last 6 years with zero issues. From looking at the newer ones it actually appears that they have improved the quality recently. If I had a need to buy another box I would not hesitate to buy the 72 inch that they have out now.
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams