Author Topic: C/AIR closing in on 200  (Read 33803 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: C/AIR closing in on 200
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2018, 06:13:11 PM »
Now I really regret trading away my DS Edmunds valve covers for the wrinkled 354 semi-chromed ones on the Plymouth.  I'd have gladly given them to you.  Get going.  El Mirage waits for no one.  (In fact it may not be for anyone.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline racergeo

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2018, 11:10:32 PM »
   Update on my MEL engine. A friend knows where I can get a 383 C.I. crank. That makes this a near complete engine including necessary shaft rockers.( For proposed rule change) Intake ports are 1.25 /W 2.625/T. Could be legend engine with offset ground crank and proper porting and valve sizing.  George

Offline desotoman

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2018, 02:16:18 PM »
Now I really regret trading away my DS Edmunds valve covers for the wrinkled 354 semi-chromed ones on the Plymouth.  I'd have gladly given them to you.

Thank for the thought Stan.

Get going.  El Mirage waits for no one.  (In fact it may not be for anyone.)

Never has a truer word been spoken.

Update on my MEL engine. A friend knows where I can get a 383 C.I. crank. That makes this a near complete engine including necessary shaft rockers.( For proposed rule change) Intake ports are 1.25 /W 2.625/T. Could be legend engine with offset ground crank and proper porting and valve sizing.  George

George, What is the proposed rule change?

Tom G.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 02:19:28 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2018, 03:48:37 PM »
    Tom, a reference to RichFox reply 34.  Best Idea floated yet. FYI Rich Fox is not his name, it is his financial situation and his dominant personal trait. If I thought they would change the rules to something like Rich proposed I would consult with Kaase and build one bitchin MEL.     George

Offline RichFox

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2018, 08:00:34 PM »
If they do change the rules, I have a nice 368 Lincoln ready. I'll let the name deal go without comment.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:02:12 PM by RichFox »

Offline racergeo

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2018, 06:45:34 PM »
  Rich, you are such a diplomat and only ignored by one person. You must have hurt the Propsters feelings. Bummer deal about any resolution to this class is the extreme cost of building and adapting antique engines to a good trans. Any old SBC would cost about 25% of a rare engine with no speed equip. availability. I say no new classes unless voted on by the members of this site after one months debate and fisticuffs. :-D

Offline RichFox

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2018, 07:05:11 PM »
Actually I have put Ford transmissions behind a Lotus 907-a 32 Plymouth banger-a 26 Dodge banger-a 392 Chrysler-a Pontiac-a Packard and now the Lincoln. It has a Lakewood blowshield modified from an FE shield and bolts to a top loader 4 speed. If you need to bolt a available blowshield to a vintage motor, bring it by and we will think of something.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2018, 03:07:22 PM »
   The results are in. Speed Week a very successful team of Stringfellow and Kirk set the record at 190 mph on a very good track. It seems by the speed posted in the WOS results that the 647 Disorderly Conduct car posted a record of 202. Getting close to the 210 min. but not an easy "low hanging fruit". Would say that any engine beside a Hemi or a destroked BBC and SBC are no fit for a 210 mph player. The class needs an amendment for the "other" engines. Allow them to have a 410 c.i. limit. Brings a lot of other engines into play without having to buy a billet crank. Just a thought on what could be a fun class.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2019, 01:50:37 AM »
     :dhorse: :dhorse: Got my new Hot Rod. Jon Kaase won the vintage class in the EMC again. This year he had top HP and Torque over all with a 473 CI MEL ford engine.795 HP.  You guys that are a member of the SCTA need to get a rule change for 2020. I think if the BBC and SBC engines can run all the cheap and readily available speed equipment then engines that this class was envisioned for need to be allowed more C.I. So WHAT IF THEY HAVE TO RENAME THE CLASS. Sb chevys and BBC and hemis run C and all the Y blocks MELs and Poly and wedge MOPARS, Buicks, Pontiacs etc.can run at B rules. It would be just terrible if an engine that took advantage of a CI break got to be competitive. It would cause a lot of whining.  :cry: Jump in here Stan.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2019, 12:45:16 PM »
"So you limit the SBC and BBC -- how?  Make them run D?  Have you seen any roadster run that class that's been sitting around for 50 years?  30 years?  No?  Gee -- I thought that was why it was started.

How about making a myriad of classes, blown and unblown, gas and fuel -- make it a new category.

With Bonneville the condition it's in, and the prognosis for the future, why not also have sprung and unsprung classes in the category?  32 grille and non-32 grille?  Light and dark colors?  We know (?) the dark colors absorb the sun and allow the air to pass over more easily (or not?).

Add a few more classes to the category, it'll be just like the bikes -- wedge, hemi, underhead and overhead, count the valves, dry sump or wet, 32 and under, 32 and over, 10% speed added for Ts, participation trophies, best appearing, best appearing crew, best appearing push vehicle, farthest from Wendover, driven from Wendover, etc. 

What?  That's ridiculous?  How about the whole premise for the class and how that's worked out?

Stan Back
(Way back.)"

That's what I said last January.  Don't think it needs much of an update.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline desotoman

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2019, 01:42:45 PM »
     :dhorse: :dhorse: Got my new Hot Rod. Jon Kaase won the vintage class in the EMC again. This year he had top HP and Torque over all with a 473 CI MEL ford engine.795 HP.  You guys that are a member of the SCTA need to get a rule change for 2020.

George,

Just for clarification, Jon Kaase's EMC motor would be protested in a hot second even if it was a 371 cubic inch motor. The modifications he has done to that motor in the head department alone are not legal for the AIR Class.

If you really want to run a MEL motor take that 383 MEL crankshaft and offset grind it to around 3.15 stroke, bore the motor to 4.330 and you have 371 cubic inches. There you go, no need for a rule change. No need for an expensive Billet crankshaft and the money you just saved can go towards the new valve train you will need. Just remember no changing the combustion chamber like Kaase did.

Have fun and good luck,

Tom G.

https://mooregoodink.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/3-0853.jpg
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2019, 11:07:13 PM »
"So you limit the SBC and BBC -- how?  Make them run D?  Have you seen any roadster run that class that's been sitting around for 50 years?  30 years?  No?  Gee -- I thought that was why it was started.

How about making a myriad of classes, blown and unblown, gas and fuel -- make it a new category.

With Bonneville the condition it's in, and the prognosis for the future, why not also have sprung and unsprung classes in the category?  32 grille and non-32 grille?  Light and dark colors?  We know (?) the dark colors absorb the sun and allow the air to pass over more easily (or not?).

Add a few more classes to the category, it'll be just like the bikes -- wedge, hemi, underhead and overhead, count the valves, dry sump or wet, 32 and under, 32 and over, 10% speed added for Ts, participation trophies, best appearing, best appearing crew, best appearing push vehicle, farthest from Wendover, driven from Wendover, etc. 

What?  That's ridiculous?  How about the whole premise for the class and how that's worked out?

Stan Back
(Way back.)"

That's what I said last January.  Don't think it needs much of an update.

Stan... I thought roasters (yea) already had all those options except for maybe  sprung and unsprung, 32 grille and non-32 grille, Light and dark colors, wedge, hemi, underhead and overhead, count the valves, dry sump or wet, 32 and under, 32 and over, 10% speed added for Ts, participation trophies, best appearing, best appearing crew, best appearing push vehicle, farthest from Wendover, driven from Wendover, etc. 

But we digress... as usual.... as with any class at Bonneville you need to read the rules, determine if you can build one that's faster than everyone else.... and go for it.... if you think a class is too restrictive, then change to a class with less rules... like special construction.... wheels in or wheels out  :roll:
 :dhorse:  :dhorse:  :dhorse:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2019, 01:11:32 AM »
This thread is hard for us bike guys to understand.  We need a translated version.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2019, 02:12:24 AM »
    I knew I could count on ya Stan. :-)  Anyway, only change, let above mentioned engines have B class cubes and let them run with the 370 CI BBC, SBC and hemi. Call it CCR. Combined classic roadster. Or not. No new class, just an avenue for some new blood in LSR. It has already become a SBC event for streamliners. :lol:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2019, 10:03:19 AM »
Exclude stud mounted rocker arms. Single rocker shaft OEM engines only. Then you would have a true "Classic" OHV V8 engine class. The class as it now sits is redundant