Landracing Forum Home
December 17, 2017, 06:19:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
BACK TO LANDRACING.COM HOMEPAGE

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

Live Audio Streaming and Archives of Past Events
Next Live Event: TBD
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: C/AIR closing in on 200  (Read 2665 times)
racergeo

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2017, 05:09:37 PM »

If I was younger I would build a roadster for the C/AIR class. When I first heard about that class I looked up the C/gas roadster record and could see no reason that a C/AIR couldn't be a 200 mph class. The 647 car ran 197 at WOS. Good conditions will net them or some one a red hat. I love classes that are a competition and not a cherry pick. I noted 5 entries in D/GL and am going to build an engine for some friendly competition.  George
thundersalt

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 06:18:20 PM »

Not sure but I think  C/air set it at 202
at wos

916 AA/GRMR 
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean
Stan Back

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 06:33:28 PM »

Was it by a Nailhead, Rocket, Studey, Packard, DeSoto, Dodge, AMC, Lincoln, Caddy, Pontiac or Packard V-8 -- the ones the class was created for.

Stan

(Are all of those still out there just waiting to update their cage, fire system, seat, head and neck restraint, fire suit, tires, parachute, etc. -- but, outside of that, ready to run?)

Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters California's most-exclusive roadster club.
Celebrating 65th anniversary of racing on the salt.
Stan Back

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 06:39:59 PM »

In further consideration, times have changed.  There's climate-change (or not).  We've got to be more accepting of folks with ideas that don't always jibe with our thoughts.  I'd tweet about this if I knew how.  I think what we need is a Green Roadster Class.  Only with G engines, like the Compressed AIR Roadsters only have C.  Let's involve all those builds that have been afraid to show their faces -- let's go Green!

Chartreuse, Olive, Seafoam, Kelly, Forest, Mint -- they're all welcome!

Damm -- it's too late for a rule change submission.  Maybe next year.

Stan

racergeo

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 06:41:23 PM »

I only have the results posted on WOS site. I'm not surprised though. Too bad about it being just a SBC class. Kind of like NHRA PRO stock. I'm sure a destroked BBC will work also.
Stan Back

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 06:56:48 PM »

Davidson's team runs one -- pretty fast.

SpeedWeek entries included a Pontiac and a D-sized SBC -- but it had to run as the only class, C.  Any and all of the above could run in their respective Gas Roadster class.  The whole thing was created for the purpose of getting the "odd-balls" to run -- as if they had nowhere else to run.

Now they're (not) running against the SBC and BBC roadsters anyway. 

It's there.  It'll stay.  It sure as helll didn't do anything at all that it was supposed to do.

Next?

RichFox

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 08:26:06 PM »

QA C/AIR revised class. Same rules except for "Single rocker shaft engines only. Then you make an exception for DeSoto and Pontiac engines if you want to. Might require OEM crankshafts also. Stock stroke.
racergeo

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 12:42:33 AM »

I say, brain storm it to death, till we reach a consensus. Submit it for next year. I'll start. Let's give certain engines a weight break. If they are proved to have an unfair advantage they can't weigh as much. Better yet they have too add the weight to the front. Make the class run at the end of the day so they have time to clean up the carnage. I have a 303 Olds with a hydromatic. Lots of parts availability.
RichFox

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 08:12:13 AM »

And who will supply the scales?
Calkins

On Any Sunday

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 08:26:56 AM »

"Single rocker shaft engines only."

Picking on my Boss 351 idea???

Let's give certain engines a weight break.

This isn't drag racing.  More or less weight will help or hurt certain combos and track conditions.  No dice...

Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA
kiwi belly tank

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 10:07:08 AM »

Sounds like a blown class to me. grin rolleyes
  Sid.
RichFox

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 11:42:29 AM »

This is the last time I try to post this picture. I hate that part of this. I have a 368 Lincoln. .060 over with a 317 truck crank. That makes it 3.060X3.500. Same as my Packard 363 inches. Hilborns. Nice port job. Lakewood blowshield adapted from a 390. With a top loader 4 sped or a 3 speed with Gear Vendors OD. Thing should run pretty good. Needs a good home. Here goes the picture. I renamed it. shrunk it. Did everything except have it blessed be the Bishop. No picture for you.
Dynoroom
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 12:01:25 PM »

This is the last time I try to post this picture. I hate that part of this. I have a 368 Lincoln. .060 over with a 317 truck crank. That makes it 3.060X3.500. Same as my Packard 363 inches. Hilborns. Nice port job. Lakewood blowshield adapted from a 390. With a top loader 4 sped or a 3 speed with Gear Vendors OD. Thing should run pretty good. Needs a good home. Here goes the picture. I renamed it. shrunk it. Did everything except have it blessed be the Bishop. No picture for you.

Rich, email the picture to me. I will post it.

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...
desotoman

Modified Roadster

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 01:09:04 PM »

Rich, I think you mean a 4.060 bore don't you? Just trying to help you sell your motor.

Tom G.

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers. As a young boy I was always taught that there is no such thing as a stupid question. It suggests that the quest for knowledge includes failure, and that just because one person may know less than others they should not be afraid to ask rather than pretend they already know. In many cases multiple people may not know but are too afraid to ask the "stupid question"; the one who asks the question may in fact be doing a service to those around them.
RichFox

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 01:21:56 PM »

Yes. 4.060. I will loan it to an interested C/AIR wanta be.I don't know how fast it  will be. But the valve covers are sure pretty. Oh yeah. This picture it lets me post. This is the truck engine that the crank came out of.

* DSCN0128.JPG (231.9 KB, 800x600 - viewed 77 times.)

* gaK2vSO3rPGPZ1Xhsiv48g_003.jpg (83.95 KB, 694x520 - viewed 89 times.)

* 999.JPG (163.76 KB, 560x420 - viewed 70 times.)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 03:19:50 PM by RichFox » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: