Author Topic: C/AIR closing in on 200  (Read 33810 times)

Offline racergeo

C/AIR closing in on 200
« on: September 19, 2017, 06:09:37 PM »
  If I was younger I would build a roadster for the C/AIR class. When I first heard about that class I looked up the C/gas roadster record and could see no reason that a C/AIR couldn't be a 200 mph class. The 647 car ran 197 at WOS. Good conditions will net them or some one a red hat. I love classes that are a competition and not a cherry pick. I noted 5 entries in D/GL and am going to build an engine for some friendly competition.  George

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
Re: C/AIR closing in on 200
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 07:18:20 PM »
Not sure but I think  C/air set it at 202
at wos
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 07:33:28 PM »
Was it by a Nailhead, Rocket, Studey, Packard, DeSoto, Dodge, AMC, Lincoln, Caddy, Pontiac or Packard V-8 -- the ones the class was created for.

Stan

(Are all of those still out there just waiting to update their cage, fire system, seat, head and neck restraint, fire suit, tires, parachute, etc. -- but, outside of that, ready to run?)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 07:39:59 PM »
In further consideration, times have changed.  There's climate-change (or not).  We've got to be more accepting of folks with ideas that don't always jibe with our thoughts.  I'd tweet about this if I knew how.  I think what we need is a Green Roadster Class.  Only with G engines, like the Compressed AIR Roadsters only have C.  Let's involve all those builds that have been afraid to show their faces -- let's go Green!

Chartreuse, Olive, Seafoam, Kelly, Forest, Mint -- they're all welcome!

Damm -- it's too late for a rule change submission.  Maybe next year.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline racergeo

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 07:41:23 PM »
I only have the results posted on WOS site. I'm not surprised though. Too bad about it being just a SBC class. Kind of like NHRA PRO stock. I'm sure a destroked BBC will work also.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 07:56:48 PM »
Davidson's team runs one -- pretty fast.

SpeedWeek entries included a Pontiac and a D-sized SBC -- but it had to run as the only class, C.  Any and all of the above could run in their respective Gas Roadster class.  The whole thing was created for the purpose of getting the "odd-balls" to run -- as if they had nowhere else to run.

Now they're (not) running against the SBC and BBC roadsters anyway. 

It's there.  It'll stay.  It sure as helll didn't do anything at all that it was supposed to do.

Next?

Offline RichFox

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 09:26:06 PM »
QA C/AIR revised class. Same rules except for "Single rocker shaft engines only. Then you make an exception for DeSoto and Pontiac engines if you want to. Might require OEM crankshafts also. Stock stroke.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 01:42:33 AM »
   I say, brain storm it to death, till we reach a consensus. Submit it for next year. I'll start. Let's give certain engines a weight break. If they are proved to have an unfair advantage they can't weigh as much. Better yet they have too add the weight to the front. Make the class run at the end of the day so they have time to clean up the carnage. I have a 303 Olds with a hydromatic. Lots of parts availability.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 09:12:13 AM »
And who will supply the scales?

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 09:26:56 AM »
"Single rocker shaft engines only."

Picking on my Boss 351 idea???

Let's give certain engines a weight break.

This isn't drag racing.  More or less weight will help or hurt certain combos and track conditions.  No dice...
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 11:07:08 AM »
Sounds like a blown class to me. :-D :roll:
  Sid.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 12:42:29 PM »
This is the last time I try to post this picture. I hate that part of this. I have a 368 Lincoln. .060 over with a 317 truck crank. That makes it 3.060X3.500. Same as my Packard 363 inches. Hilborns. Nice port job. Lakewood blowshield adapted from a 390. With a top loader 4 sped or a 3 speed with Gear Vendors OD. Thing should run pretty good. Needs a good home. Here goes the picture. I renamed it. shrunk it. Did everything except have it blessed be the Bishop. No picture for you.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 01:01:25 PM »
This is the last time I try to post this picture. I hate that part of this. I have a 368 Lincoln. .060 over with a 317 truck crank. That makes it 3.060X3.500. Same as my Packard 363 inches. Hilborns. Nice port job. Lakewood blowshield adapted from a 390. With a top loader 4 sped or a 3 speed with Gear Vendors OD. Thing should run pretty good. Needs a good home. Here goes the picture. I renamed it. shrunk it. Did everything except have it blessed be the Bishop. No picture for you.

Rich, email the picture to me. I will post it.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline desotoman

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 02:09:04 PM »

Rich, I think you mean a 4.060 bore don't you? Just trying to help you sell your motor.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2017, 02:21:56 PM »
Yes. 4.060. I will loan it to an interested C/AIR wanta be.I don't know how fast it  will be. But the valve covers are sure pretty. Oh yeah. This picture it lets me post. This is the truck engine that the crank came out of.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 04:19:50 PM by RichFox »