Landracing Forum Home
October 17, 2017, 07:20:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
BACK TO LANDRACING.COM HOMEPAGE

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

Live Audio Streaming and Archives of Past Events
Next Live Event: TBD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I modify the inner fender/liner in Classic Production?  (Read 481 times)
gtldvm1987
New folks

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2017, 11:17:42 PM »

Subject says it all.  I started building my first LSR car and need a little clearance for what I want to do.  I can't find where it forbids it, but I don't want to show up after a 1800 mile trip to fail tech.  Can I modify the inner fender liner of a Corvair?  If not I'll figure another way.

Thanks in advance,

Greg L.
Milwaukee Midget
Global Moderator

Bonneville I/GT record holder - 122.539 mph

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 11:43:23 PM »

My reading sees no rule against it.

Some of these cars are slammed so low that without some sort of modification, they'd never safely steer without ripping a tire.

I DO think that you can ignore the radiator opening rule . . . wink

All that said, I'd call one of the numbers in the book and clear what you're looking to do.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  rolleyes

We are NOT rebuilding . . . We are reloading.

GOD SAVE MG - The Queen can take care of herself!
Stainless1
Administrator

Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele Wichita, Kansas

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 09:11:50 AM »

Subject says it all.  I started building my first LSR car and need a little clearance for what I want to do.  I can't find where it forbids it, but I don't want to show up after a 1800 mile trip to fail tech.  Can I modify the inner fender liner of a Corvair?  If not I'll figure another way.

Thanks in advance,

Greg L.

Greg... don't you know those cars are unsafe at any speed  grin  cheers

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, MSA Bockscar Lakester with a little N20 
MSA Bockscar Lakester #1000 my fastest mile 245 and change, 84 ci turbobusa motor... but Corey's 233 MPH H/BFL record is still 3MPH faster than mine.
gtldvm1987
New folks

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 08:17:11 PM »

Some of these cars are slammed so low that without some sort of modification, they'd never safely steer without ripping a tire.

All that said, I'd call one of the numbers in the book and clear what you're looking to do.

Thanks for the opinion.  I'll try to call and see what they say.  I don't want to change the attachment location, just the shape of the wheel well to better accommodate the wheel offset and the wheel/tire itself.
gtldvm1987
New folks

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 08:18:31 PM »

Thanks in advance,

Greg L.

Greg... don't you know those cars are unsafe at any speed  grin  cheers

So I've been told!  So I want to go fast enough to be totally reckless (and wreckless)!!!
Dynoroom
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 09:48:49 AM »

Thanks for the opinion.  I'll try to call and see what they say.  I don't want to change the attachment location, just the shape of the wheel well to better accommodate the wheel offset and the wheel/tire itself.

It would be better if you emailed the committee chair. That way the response can be put into your log book for future reference. Send photos or drawings showing what it is you would like to do would also be helpful.

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...
jacksoni

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 10:34:05 AM »

Am far from expert ( but have read the book a lot) but have not seen anything suggesting that fender liners are an issue. Cut it out, take it out modify it. Production rules say "the wheel openings may be radiused for tire clearance". Will that do what you need? The concern is the external body shape so flares are probably not legal.

Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 169.741  2009
 G/GMS-178.835 2010
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: