Author Topic: 17 inch rims???  (Read 4144 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
17 inch rims???
« on: August 31, 2017, 01:21:06 PM »
I am in need of a set of either 17 x 3.5 or 17 x 4 steel automotive type steel rims. Coker has 3 inch and 4.5 inch both not recommended by the tire mfg for the tire I am looking to run. Does anyone know someone that could supply these rims sizes in steel? I have a set of 17 x 3.5 aluminum wheels but they are for motorcycle tires, I am wondering if it would be possible to have them machined to the automotive rim specification? I will check with Podunk. I would prefer to have steel wheels.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: 17 inch rims???
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 01:53:08 PM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 05:13:45 PM »
My 2004 Holden (Pontiac GTO) had a 17" spare.  Don't know the width.  Here's a link to what I remember it was (top).

https://picclick.com.au/Holden-Monaro-17-Space-Saver-Spare-Wheel-HSV-112543046469.html
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 05:31:20 PM »
I had Ray at Chariot Wheels build me some custom wheels years ago.  And have sent (still) friends there.  I gave him a call -- he says he can build a 17x4 steel wheel.  I had no other specs, but give him a call in Fontana --909-357-819five.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 09:23:23 AM »
You're welcome.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 09:30:05 AM »
are these dragster type frt tires or car tires if they are dragster frt tires they most likely require mc rims
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 06:53:02 PM »
Sparky,
They are automotive style tires and therefore require the automotive style rim. I think I have maybe found something that may work. The space saver spare on the 2006-2017 Dodge Charger is a 17 x 4 wheel. I am planning to order one and cut out the center and have a center water jet cut from 1/4 steel plate. Weld it in cut the pilot diameter put in a 6 on 5 inch BC bolt pattern and "Bobs you uncle"! Oh it sounds so easy!!

Rex
Rex

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 09:29:09 PM »
Rex are these 17"tires for dragsters?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Rex Schimmer

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 12:00:51 PM »
No. MT engineer said they are rated over 200 especially with the light weight of our car.
Rex

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 12:11:59 PM »
our experience is that they call car tires but they mount on MC wheels even Goodyear and Weld did not know they were MC rims until me made them check

Offline maj

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 07:58:17 PM »
Yes if they are the 17" tires made for spindle type drag rims they are MC , its just that no one recognises this and the car rim you get made to fit is too large to fit these safely
The bead width is the giveaway