Author Topic: Engine "handicaps"  (Read 17488 times)

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Engine "handicaps"
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2017, 12:04:08 PM »
John;

Re DKW:

Back in the early '60s I saw a Deutch-Bonnet racing on the Nurburgring. I think those were small 2-strokes as well.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2017, 04:15:15 PM »
Outside of the Vintage Engine requirements (handicaps?), the only other current one that I know of (not Steam, Turbine or Electric) is the displacement "adjustment" for rotaries.

Bikes still retain an "adjustment" for flatheads.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline tortoise

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2017, 08:52:35 PM »
John;

Re DKW:

Back in the early '60s I saw a Deutch-Bonnet racing on the Nurburgring. I think those were small 2-strokes as well.

Deutsch-Bonnet. Four-stroke air cooled boxer pushrod twin, sourced from Panhard.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2017, 10:58:27 AM »
John;

Re DKW:

Deutsch-Bonnet. Four-stroke air cooled boxer pushrod twin, sourced from Panhard.

I stand corrected....but it sure sounded like a 2-stroke!

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2017, 01:38:01 AM »
Neil- thanks for the interesting PM about the 'Ring. At one race (don't recall which one) I enjoyed the contrasting sounds of multi-cylinder GP cars versus Jim Hall's booming big V8 in the Chapparal (sp?). He looked good for a lap or two but broke a driveshaft.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2017, 11:02:11 AM »
Jack;

The old Nurburgring was fantastic- difficult to drive and dangerous but totally unique. The new course is different but safer.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2017, 09:12:29 PM »
I think that about 750 cc (45 cu. in.) is about the biggest "performance" two stroke was ever built , that would be the Yamaha TZ750, which was a true race engine and both Suzuki and Kawasaki modified street engines to compete. A good TZ750 was good for up to around 150 hp (some could have been a bit higher) but the real "killer" two strokes were the last of the GP two stroke motors, 500 cc's and 250 hp! They had BMEPs over 300 psi! better than any four stroke has ever made. All  that horsepower from an engine that had no valves and was completely dependent on the resonate frequency of the intake and exhaust tracts to make power! Very impressive motors. Would love to have one to run in a K class anything.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline salt27

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2017, 09:52:51 PM »
A while he runs with a yellow as base color, on the bottom was two orange strip and the top something like purple.The number was 41 and runs in K/GS class - later Zimmermann used the car and changed the base color into red with a checkered flag on and a splashed Duck on the nose, was sponsored by Jaz  ..."ie Jaz Production Special"

Is this it? (sorry about the poor quality)

If I remember correctly this had a 3 cylinder 2-stroke turbo charged snowmobile engine.

Don

Offline salt27

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2017, 09:57:59 PM »
I think there was a Saab Sonett participating at Bonneville in 2016.

Which event I don't remember (they all intermingle in my memory bank)   :|

Don

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2017, 09:10:41 AM »
Don, that was 6797 that I posted earlier from ECTA - they were at Speed Week. Best speed was 120.55 mph.
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz