Author Topic: Test N Tune 2017  (Read 21383 times)

Offline Tom Liberatore

Re: Test N Tune 2017
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2017, 06:04:21 PM »
The 911 Cop Cutlass was from San Diego and had racelegal.com written all over it.
 Bob Dalton was here and made one pass this morning, I think the speed was 263 or 268.
 The meet pretty much pooped out and they called it around 3pm. This was the smallest speed meet that I have ever been too. The USFRA as usual did a great job, but they sure don't have much salt to work with.
I ran into TR who was scouting out a course for the Motorcycle Speed Trials, pretty slim pickings if you are looking for a long course, he was thinking that they might have to start down closer to the freeway.
Pepperoni Bros.- XF/VOT

Offline woz

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2017, 09:22:04 PM »
Thank you for the Cutlass information, and the updates on the conditions, etc.  Much appreciated! 

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2017, 12:02:56 AM »
I believe the Cutlass is the old Jim Feuling car, I didn't eyeball it up close but it's still sounds like a quad-4. I don't think 260 is a likely speed.
USFRA are doing a great job as usual but you can't build a silk purse out of a sow's ear, the salt is ruuuuff but the bikes are doing laps.

It seemed hotter than usual & I wondered if it was just me being a five time recipient of the heat-stroke award but then checking the salt I found it was warm, not cool like it used to be.
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2017, 09:22:22 AM »
sounds like we need to be looking for a new place to race this one has been mined out of existence!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jww36

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2017, 09:59:14 AM »
For what it's worth, I ran at the Test & Tune. The good news, no standing water and we had salt. The bad news, course was rough, especially for un-sprung car.
 I want to start a new blog about COURSE PREP.

Offline Sequim Jim

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2017, 11:02:35 AM »
From what I gather, the salt is bad to horrible.
Everybody knows I'm a rookie entered in the MPS-BF 1000cc (entry 324). If Speed Week moves forward, what is the LSR communities advice to a rookie riding for the first time, in these conditions?
Is it worth sending my tires to Nate if the speeds are reduced because of the wash board effect?
How should I balance my bike?
Should I focus on getting through tech this year and wait for real racing next year?
Best regards
Jim

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2017, 11:08:43 AM »
If you go up on the hill you can see where all the water went & as I said earlier the salt is warm so it's not able to hold the moisture like it used to. The brine dirt is also warm to the touch but still damp & there's bugs out there like I've never seen before including grasshoppers! I had one hanging out in the van & thought it had hitched a ride but then realized they were many in numbers as were the small flies & some tiny little beetle thingies. It's a changing ecosystem out there for sure.
  Sid.  

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2017, 11:09:57 AM »
From what I gather, the salt is bad to horrible.
Everybody knows I'm a rookie entered in the MPS-BF 1000cc (entry 324). If Speed Week moves forward, what is the LSR communities advice to a rookie riding for the first time, in these conditions?
Is it worth sending my tires to Nate if the speeds are reduced because of the wash board effect?
How should I balance my bike?
Should I focus on getting through tech this year and wait for real racing next year?

The production type bikes seemed to be handling the conditions better than the cars & you could here the difference down the course. Don't hold your breath waiting for better conditions, you need to get it while you can.
  Sid.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:15:05 AM by kiwi belly tank »

Offline RichFox

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2017, 11:11:56 AM »
That's good if you believe next year will be better. My thought would be go with the idea this may be your last chance. We all hope next year will be great. And if it is, what have you lost by trying this year? Ask questions of those who have run the course. Work up as you get comfortable. All stuff you already know. But I would not pin my hopes on "Next Year".

Offline Sequim Jim

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2017, 11:22:47 AM »
Would it be wise to switch bikes for this season?
I have a FJR1300 with traction control. I rode it on Harley's test track in Yucca and hit 168. I've ridden it for years on soft 3/4- pea gravel and learned to drift it at 100 mph. I'm very comfortable on it and can handle most situations.
Best regards
Jim

Offline RichFox

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2017, 01:07:00 PM »
Up to you. Which are you more comfortable with? Can you take both and chose after getting a look at the course? talking to riders who have made a run? Might cause you to delay going through tech for a day or less.

Offline Sequim Jim

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2017, 01:14:01 PM »
I can take both. The FJR is predictable. My 600 hp R1, that I have almost zero time on, is not.
Best regards
Jim

Offline maj

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2017, 07:36:13 PM »
I am still planning the turbo bikes for BMST ,
Jim if you need seat time this is one of the few chances you get both for experiance and setup on that bike

eze into it , its no longer about how fast you can potentially go but how fast you can go in the conditions at hand

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2017, 10:37:04 PM »
 :cheers:  sad but O so true!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Sequim Jim

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2017, 07:47:11 AM »
I received a note from somebody on Facebook at attended the Test and Tune. He said the first mile was rough for the bikes, but mile two was great. Very encouraging!
Best regards
Jim