Author Topic: Salt Flats Cafe  (Read 50276 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Salt Flats Cafe
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2017, 06:40:23 PM »
Tell me about it, Freud. The first night Nancy and I were in Wendover a few weeks ago we were getting some stuff in Smith's and saw Marcello buying lettuce and stuff.  He saw us and came over to say hi and make sure we knew he'd moved the restaurant.

And that night when we walked in George (Jorge), Marcello's oldest boy and the guy with the super memory -- greeted us with a "How's the race course looking this year?"

I will say that the truckstop has many more trucks parked overnight - and during the day - than in the past.  As if it were now a "real" truckstop.  Ad many of the drivers we saw while we were there appeared of eastern ethnicity (trying to be proper here) and they might well appreciate the revised menu.

Live with it and deal with it.  The Metro (nee Salt Falts Cafe) is good.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2017, 07:19:03 PM »
My guess... the guys that run the station bought it... and wanted to open their family restaurant...
raising the rent assured them the SFC would leave.  Didn't eat there, don't know if the food is good or bad, we went to the Copper Kettle when we could get in, the SFC when we could get in... sure miss the taco and ice cream place.... the lady at the KC got some ice cream for our desert...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dodge Brother

• TS Coachworks
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2017, 01:18:40 AM »
We made sure we ate at the SFC after reading all the rave reviews on here, from past years. Ended up having lunch there every day that we were in town! The food was awesome, service good and the prices...... they're almost giving it away from what we're used to. Two of us ate lunch for $14 total, We would have to pay that much for one plate of food like that up here!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2017, 02:12:36 AM »
I would say the move was good for their business. When the racers aren't in town the locals are filling the place.
  Sid.

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2017, 09:41:41 AM »
Its good to hear they're busy when we left, because we ate breakfast there almost every day and never saw a local inside. 
The Copper Kettle was good too, albeit slow service.  They did make us an apple pie special for a B-day celebration. 

The taco stand kiddy-corner from the Nugget was the best food we had all week!!!
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 
Racing is the evil modification of insanity.

Offline QikNip

« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2017, 10:05:44 AM »
I particulalry liked the cold apple juice :-D
138.0 G/CPRO 4/18 Arkansas Mile Challenge Record
145.632 G/CPRO 8/17 Bonneville Record
149.825 G/CPRO 8/18 Bonneville Record
142.443 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.0 Mile Record
156.343 G/CPRO 9/20 Loring 1.5 Mile Record

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2017, 12:05:47 PM »
I particulalry liked the cold apple juice :-D
Good, because you probably wouldn't have liked the warm beer.  :-(
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Online jacksoni

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2017, 09:17:52 AM »
Its good to hear they're busy when we left, because we ate breakfast there almost every day and never saw a local inside. 
The Copper Kettle was good too, albeit slow service.  They did make us an apple pie special for a B-day celebration. 

The taco stand kiddy-corner from the Nugget was the best food we had all week!!!
I overheard one of the waiters in the SFC mention that for speedweek they asked the locals to stay away expecting racer traffic but that the rest of the time had a good local business.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019