Author Topic: Ackattack in Bolivia  (Read 100924 times)

Offline tallguy

Re: Ackattack in Bolivia
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2017, 08:57:14 PM »
Calkins, thank you for the (brief) report.  I had hoped for some 400+ mph news, but if it was
going to be easy, everybody would be doing it. 

Ack Attack is still likely, in my opinion, to be the first motorcycle to officially go 400+ mph.
I wish the entire team the best of luck, etc.

Having said that, I also wish all their competitors the best of luck, etc.  Records are meant
to be broken.

Good luck at Bonneville, everyone.  Although its suitability for extremely fast vehicles has
been destroyed, it's still functionally usable for us slower guys.

Offline ack

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2017, 11:41:37 AM »
Here is a link to Jean Turners Cycle News feature on the Bolivian atttempt.

http://magazine.cyclenews.com/i/863949-cycle-news-issue-33-august-22-2017/90

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2017, 01:30:00 PM »
Mike:

Thanks for the link to the great article.   In light of all the unexpected problems you guys had to content with, it's a major miracle you did as well as you did.  The good news is that it was a learning experience, which should be of great value for the next time.  Everybody knows that your bike and team is more than capable of fulfilling your goals, so go to work gettuing ready for 2018!

Jeff McVey in Boise
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline sabat

« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2017, 08:54:30 AM »
Here is a link to Jean Turners Cycle News feature on the Bolivian atttempt.

http://magazine.cyclenews.com/i/863949-cycle-news-issue-33-august-22-2017/90

Great article, thanks for posting. Dean

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2017, 07:57:34 AM »
Another good write-up.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/seeking-400-mph-in-the-mountains-of-bolivia

Any word on what the various film crews captured?

Offline ack

« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2017, 09:37:02 PM »
Al Lamb Bolivia video

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2017/october/chasing-300-world-speed-record/

Mike Cook and I are discussing the possibility of having another event in Bolivia in July of next year depending on the amount of interest and commitment within the land speed community.

Offline ack

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2017, 07:22:31 PM »
Bolivia FIA/FIM sanctioned speed trials July 10th 2018

Mike Cook and I have been discussing holding an event in Bolivia in early July of next year.   We learned a lot of lessons from the attempt this year.  The event would depend upon the number of serious competitors wanting to attend. The track Mike prepared this year was 15 miles long by 120 feet wide and as smooth and hard as a new freeway. It could be 20 miles if we needed it.  There has been lot of interest by both bike and car competitors in attending such an event.  The Bolivian government has asked us to enter into a contract with them to promote an event next year.

We would require at least 12 entries that are willing to pay 10K entry fee that would be held in a separate account. There would be a cutoff date of March 31 at which time, if there are enough entries, the event will proceed. If not enough entries have paid the entry fee all money would be refunded to the entries. If the event has enough entries to proceed and your vehicle is not ready to run at the event no refund will be given as the expenses for the event has been spent or committed.   At the conclusion of the event a full accounting of expenses will be provided to all entries and any remaining money will be refunded to the entries.

It will be a FIM/FIA sanctioned event the same as the Shootout. The sanction fees for both will be paid.  The FIA entry fee for each car will be $300.00 USD. The FIM does not require an entry fee only the sanction fee.  I would guess based upon the event  this year the cost to put the event  on including travel for Mike and his crew, FIM and  FIA sanction fees, travel expenses for officials,  track preparation and grading, surveying, fire ambulance, insurance, timing, environmental license, crane service, porta-potty, bus service to and from the track, etc. to be approximately 80 - 100K. If there are more entries it will reduce the cost for everyone.

Each entry is required to make their own shipping arrangements, travel arrangements and hotel reservations.  There are two quality hotels at the entrance to the salt; we will make arrangements with them for a reduced rate for people attending the event.  One quality hotel has committed to a rate of $60.00 USD a night including breakfast. Vehicles can be rented in LaPaz. There is a brand new highway from LaPaz to the salt flats a distance of 305 miles.

If you are seriously interested in participating please contact: at the salt

Mike Cook at 951 278-4243 or 951 675-3070  driver598@sbcglobal.net

Or

Mike Akatiff at 408 315-0901  mikea@ackavionics.com

Here is a link to the Bolivia videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTDKb7dHymNBAfZ_OaCADPYeJUs_02JZx

Offline strmlr555

• New folks
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2017, 07:43:20 PM »
Go get that record!
Love this streamliner!!!

Offline dw230

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2017, 09:10:14 PM »
I want to do this event again!

Merry Christmas to me    :-D

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline ack

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2018, 08:09:24 AM »
I am helping Mike Cook to put on an event in Uyuni Bolivia July 10th of this year. Last year I did much of the planning and logistics. This year I am leaving the logistics to Mike and Marcello our Bolivian contact. In order for the event to go ahead Mike needs 12 entries that are willing to pay the $10,000.00 USD entry fee by March 31st .  If not enough entries are committed by March 31st the entry fees submitted will be refunded by Mike. We have a contract with the Bolivian government who is very supportive of the event under which we must confirm to them by the March 31st date that the event will go on. Weather is not a factor annual rainfall between April and October is zero and the wind is almost always calm.
In the US we are working on consolidating many of the bike entries in to one or more containers Marcelo will be providing logistic support of the container shipments for the various teams and will make sure they arrive on time. He will be also arranging with the hotels a discount rate for the participants.  If the event goes forward late entries will be accepted however the entry fee will be $15,000.00. Both FIM and FIA will be in attendance.  If you are interested in attending please contact me or Mike Cook. Currently there are 8 committed teams and several several others seriously considering it.

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2018, 05:13:25 PM »
March 31 has come and gone, what is the status of this event ?,,

First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline ack

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2018, 08:21:47 PM »
The Bolivia event is on

July 10th through the 15th 2018
FIM and FIA sanctions

Those entered:

Al Lamb                  Goal exceed 300 mph sit on bike

Ralph Hudson         Goal exceed 300 mph sit on bike

Erin Stills               Goal fastest woman on sit on bike
                             Fastest naked bike record

Jamie Williams      Goal FIM snowmobile record
                           Just over 200 mph

Top 1 Ack Attack   Goal  exceed 400 mph

Jim Knapp             Goal exceed 500 mph
                           In the Moro car
                           Built by Tom Hanna

Probably the last Bolivia event for the foreseeable future
The entries fell short of the 12 required to fund Mike Cook.
Everyone decided to double their entry fee in order to
raise the money necessary, Just too expensive to do.
If anyone else wants to do this (Triumph?) they should
call Mike Cook now.      

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2018, 05:26:56 AM »
Thankyou for the reply Mike,, now I can contemplate weather or not to make the trip too spectate at this event  :-)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2018, 03:49:04 PM »
I was also looking into making the trip this year to check out the lay of the land with the intention of taking the liner down in 2019 but it sounds like my schedule just move up by six months to take it to Aus instead.
  Sid.

Offline ack

« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2018, 08:43:36 AM »
For anyone planning to attend the event this is hotel everyone is staying at. We have a group rate of $70.00 a night single double or triple. So far we have booked 42 of the 54 rooms.

http://www.hotelcristalsamana.com.bo