Author Topic: Ackattack in Bolivia  (Read 101259 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: Ackattack in Bolivia
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2017, 03:13:19 AM »
Good luck in Boliviaville, we're all hanging on the edge of our seats.
  Sid.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2017, 10:24:11 PM »
Somebody here tell us what happened -- I can't navigate all this shitt.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline joea

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2017, 01:05:00 AM »
A little different there Stan the President of the country and other incredible fanfare to open the runs....

stark contrast to Bonneville in many respects ....

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2017, 02:05:44 AM »
Nothing's going to happen until SSS gets there and starts streaming the audio.  :-D

Offline ack

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2017, 04:56:47 AM »
It's hard to describe what a beautiful and unique place the Salar is. Rocky's jaw dropped when we showed him the course Mike and crew had prepared. 15 miles of rock hard salt 120 feet wide. The effort has not been without many nail biting moments. Our container that was due July 21 still has not arrived. If wasn't until 2 nights ago that Mikes and Ralph Hudson's container arrived.  Yesterday morning we moved them to the track and the crane unloaded them.  Our container is to arrive this afternoon.

Al Lams container never got on the boat so they built a couple of crates with the bike and spare parts to airfreight to LaPaz. When it got to Miami US customs seized the shipment and held it for 10 days. No amount of pleading calls to the US embassy could get it released. Finally it was released 1/2 hour after the last cargo flight that could get it to Bolivia on time had left. All seemed hopeless until the President of Bolivia stepped in and called the president of an airline and got the container on an airplane, its due to arrive in LaPaz as I write this.

Yesterday everyone here headed to the track well over 60 people and began to set up the track under Mike's direction. By the end of the day we had a fully prepared track. The Aprilia will be the only bike running. tomorrow as we have the fuel for the turbo bikes in our container. Erin Siills is going to make an un-official pass on her street bike.

Tomorrow morning the President and Vice President of Bolivia will be flying in for the opening ceremony. A huge opening ceremony is being prepared at the zero mile with a band, native dancers, press and other dignitaries. All of us here are grateful to Joe Ryan, Frank Ryan, Kevin Ryan and the rest of the Ryan family at Top 1 Oil for making this event possible and the support they have given LandSpeed racing over the years.

We all should be running Saturday morning.

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2017, 06:44:45 AM »
Mike:

Thanks for the update!  I'm guessing I'm not the only one who was wondering what happened yesterday. 

But in LSR, I suppose it's like Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say:  "It's always something".

We'll be watching Facebook and here for more updates.

Good luck!

Jeff in Boise
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2017, 09:35:17 AM »
It is really awesome how Bolivia is treating you guys and is apparently so happy to be having this there. 

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2017, 10:08:25 AM »
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2017, 10:21:55 AM »
I'm sure the Bolivian Government sees the writing on the wall that Bonneville racing is on it's last legs & Uyuni is set to become the new LSR destination & bringing cubic dollars with it, but it really is amazing how President Evo Morales has stepped up here. :cheers: This is pioneering stuff going on here, just look at this place!!!! :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o
  Sid.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2017, 10:47:39 AM »
We need to get some favorable press coverage on this event opening- with video to show the stark difference between the Bolivian government and our BLM. This would show the public how shameful the BLM stewardship of Bonneville has been.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2017, 12:20:39 PM »
Richard Lague is in Bolivia at the event and has offered to send pics and info to me so I can put it up here.  Don't forget you can find stuff on the Facebook page -- even you, Stan.  Have somebody get on the bicycle generator and crack up the generator, okay?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RichFox

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2017, 12:28:41 PM »
I just saw a documentary about Bolivia kicking out the DEA because they were causing to much grief with the coca growers . Which I understood caused the US to cut off relations with Bolivia. Or something. At any rate the situation seemed a little fluid there.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2017, 04:06:20 PM »
Thanx, Seldom.  I don't do those Facial things.

(I tried, but couldn't come up with any friends.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline tallguy

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2017, 11:42:23 PM »
. . . Looks like the Ack Attack team wasn't successful in going 400 in Bolivia.

I was hoping for good news, and am eager to learn why it didn't happen. 

Best wishes for the future, everyone!

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2017, 09:16:15 AM »
The bike showed up way late, like a few weeks beyond it's intended date.  That only left them with two days to run the bike.  Rocky posted that he did make a nice mid-300mph shake down pass.  I believe that was the end of the first day.
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA