Author Topic: Where are the timing lights?  (Read 7656 times)

Offline Koncretekid

Where are the timing lights?
« on: February 11, 2017, 08:53:11 AM »
Where are the actual timing lights for the 1 mile speed and the 1km speeds that we are given on our run tickets?  Are the speeds calculated from the time interval from one light to the next?  And if so, where are the kilometer lights?  I only ask because as we are not given a "2-1/4" speed like SCTA, we have no way of knowing if we've actually reached our maximum speed. If the km lights are centered between the 2 and 3 mile markers, then a difference between the two numbers might give us an indication (but not necessarily). My numbers are almost always within 1 mile per hour or two, so I'm pretty sure I'm tapped out, but a difference between the two might be telling especially for those that are now required to start at the 1 mile if they can't exceed 125 mph (as enforced last year even though the rule book said that 100 mph was the threshold.)  

I'm asking because I'm trying to help out a couple of sub 125 mph guys garner a bit more info from their tickets, and maybe get some ammunition for convincing the organizers to allow "0" mile starts for trying to exceed the existing record.  

Tom
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 08:58:02 AM by Koncretekid »
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Where are the timing lights?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 12:21:16 PM »
Tom, the lights for a timed mile are at the beginning and end of that surveyed distance... so if you are on a 3 mile course, the lights are at the 2 and 3, tripping the lights gives the timer a time measurement and that is converted to MPH.  The Kilo timer is in the center of the measured mile.  Same goes for the long course... measured mile, kilo in center

Maybe you can convince the AMA to also time from the 1-2 or add entry and exit speeds to the mile
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 12:26:16 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 04:20:58 PM »
Tom, the lights for a timed mile are at the beginning and end of that surveyed distance... so if you are on a 3 mile course, the lights are at the 2 and 3, tripping the lights gives the timer a time measurement and that is converted to MPH.  The Kilo timer is in the center of the measured mile.  Same goes for the long course... measured mile, kilo in center

Maybe you can convince the AMA to also time from the 1-2 or add entry and exit speeds to the mile

Stainless,

That would be helpful, but probably not much chance of that.  But knowing that the timed kilo is in the center at least gives a hint as to whether you are still accelerating or not.  If your kilo speed is faster than your mile speed, I'd say you're still accelerating at least to the end of the kilo.  If both speeds are the same, you have either topped out, or you've got more in the tank (constantly accelerating even thru the 2nd mile so that both averages are the same speed).  Logical?

Tom

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 07:23:54 PM »
The big boys get that info on the long international.... entry, kilo, mile, exit  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 08:13:32 PM »
Here's my framed example of a timing slip from the Shootout a few years back.  It shows that the timing is done on a single running clock showing elapsed times from the entry of the first light beginning of mile) to the second light (entry to the kilo) to the third light (end of kilo) to the fourth light (end of mile).  Add up the first three times and you get the fourth one.

And by sleight of mathematical hand you can determine speeds from the first to second light and third to fourth -- like is shown here -- giving you those splits.

And, for what it's worth, has anyone got a SLOWER timing slip from a Shootout?  I admit it -- 'twas a slow afternoon and Cook got on the radio and called out "Slim!  Get on your pit bike and run it through the lights.  There's nothing else going on!!!"  And for further what it's worth -- while I was motoring down to the lights (quite a project at dang near 30 mph!) I did something that I think I can safely say that nobody else has done on the race course:  I passed the Speed Demon.  REALLY.  Of course it WAS being pushed down the course for a photo shoot or something, but still -- I passed the Speed Demon when we were both moving.

And so now, by Stainless' reckoning, I must be, while riding the pit bike, at least, one of the Big Boys.  Yippee-ZippEE  WOW!

Okay, I'll go back to eating my cherry pie and glass of milk now.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 07:19:29 AM »
Nice run Slim.  I was thinking about running my windsurfer (converted to power a skateboard) during the high wind shut down time to see if I can beat that "record"!

All my timing slips only give the kilometer speed and the mile speed, even on the international "long track", so they must have changed them.

Tom
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 07:21:35 AM by Koncretekid »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 08:02:15 AM »
Tom, remember that the run I made on the Honda Elite was at the Shootout, not BMST, and MAYBE the timing data is shown differently, that's all.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 03:09:14 PM »
  On My last pass at the W.F.'s in 2012 they ended up located in the grill of My Stude... :roll: :-o :-o :mrgreen:
                                                                            O.R.B., out.................................................................
Bob Drury

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 04:54:20 PM »

And, for what it's worth, has anyone got a SLOWER timing slip from a Shootout?  I admit it -- 'twas a slow afternoon and Cook got on the radio and called out "Slim!  Get on your pit bike and run it through the lights.  There's nothing else going on!!!"  And for further what it's worth -- while I was motoring down to the lights (quite a project at dang near 30 mph!) I did something that I think I can safely say that nobody else has done on the race course:  I passed the Speed Demon.  REALLY.  Of course it WAS being pushed down the course for a photo shoot or something, but still -- I passed the Speed Demon when we were both moving.

And so now, by Stainless' reckoning, I must be, while riding the pit bike, at least, one of the Big Boys.  Yippee-ZippEE  WOW!

Okay, I'll go back to eating my cherry pie and glass of milk now.

It may have been a slow afternoon but the preceding days were anything but. Four different drivers over 400 mph at the same event! Three of them first timers at that speed. Arguably there has never been such consistent high speed running before or since.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 05:00:46 PM »
And don't Forget that Rocky got the Ack Attack to 394 - and on-board data showed higher at the last light or so.

By all means -- I've still got the RaytheRat poster from that event on the wall at work.  Interesting - what vehicle gets the most/first attention when someone looks at the poster?  Sure enough, the riding lawnmower that went 97.   :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com