Author Topic: Thunder Jet stops flowing  (Read 17083 times)

Offline Colesy

• New folks
Thunder Jet stops flowing
« on: February 05, 2017, 06:15:40 AM »
I have installed a thunder jet on HSR 48mm Mikuni to ensure there is sufficient fuel when engine is at WOT to prevent a lean mixture. Running a 170 main jet and 100 thunder jet. On the dyno it was working fine i.e. fuel was flowing well but on a run we kept the throttle open was looking at about 40 seconds but at around 20 seconds with revs at 7000 the fuel stopped flowing through the thunder jet. We shut the engine down but on the salt this would of been a lean out causing major problems. Anyone have any ideas??? Engine is a 1987 HD Sportster making 120hp. Float bowl is extended with 1/2" spacer and fuel is supplied via electric fuel pump at 4psi. :
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 06:35:21 AM by Colesy »

Offline sofadriver

Re: Thunder Jet stops flowing
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 08:19:56 AM »
You already know that a deeper float bowl will only delay fuel starvation. Did you extend the pick-up, too? What fuel are you running? Thicker fuels may require a bigger petcock, filter, fuel lines, float jet, pick-up tubes or fuel pump. 4psi doesn't guarantee you've got enough flow. Is your pump running in a total loss electric system (weak battery?). Replaced (not cleaned) all your fuel lines? Fuel lines getting too hot?
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline TheBaron

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 09:23:49 AM »
you may need to enlarge the fuel float needle/seat in the carburetor to get the needed flow rate....test it.

Robert

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 10:55:39 AM »
On blow through Carbs there is now a fuel bowl with dual inlets and float set ups.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 02:58:37 PM »
I also have been down this road Colesy, I'm surprised you got the Mikuni float valve to seat with 4 psi ? I had no luck @ 3 psi (max)
  Have a look at Sumner's "formula" pages to work out your fuel supply needs (HP v's fuel required), then measure the flow out of the bowl cap orifice (after removing it) & see how the flow relates to your requirements 1st.
 I had to go to a 70 gph low (5-8) psi pump to get the flow I needed , then find a way to control it,,
Here's my solution,,,,(the HSR was way too big for the 250)

It's an old Holley float bowl tapped into the Mikuni bowl(floats & fuel valve removed from Mikuni), the setup safely handles up to 8 psi, and flows 2 liters/ minute (methanol)
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 09:50:34 PM »
If you have a flow problem, check out this needle/seat.
https://daytonaparts.com/daytona-carburetor-float-valve.html
John

Offline ETM

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 05:00:10 PM »
Anybody ever try a pump around carburetor setup at this level?  Common setup in karting to deal with
high lateral Gs but it could also serve consistent float bowl levels at high fuel flows.

Offline Colesy

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 07:13:23 PM »
Thanks all for the advice. Some has already been done/checked. Daytona don't make a needle jet for the Mikuni. Flow rates versus what is required (HP) are more than enough working off the formula. Have placed another vent on carby. Have one more chance on the dyno this week to test it and also test the Thunder Jet to see if there is a difference in pressure at high RPM (theory) intereferring with vacuum in the Thunder Jet. If it loses fuel again then I am a spectator this year, no more time left. At least I will have 12 months to come up with something, like the extra float bowl at 8psi. (Good idea)
Cheers

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 05:35:15 PM »
Colsey cured his problem in time for Speedweek, extra float bowl ventilation was needed apparently?
  I think he melted a piston though ? (after getting a good speed)
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Unforgiven

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 11:59:43 PM »
 :cheers:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 10:20:34 AM »
One of the reasons the British used a 360 degree firing order on their twins was that they had a single carb.  There was the same time interval between "gulps" from each cylinder.  It was easier to use this with a single carb setup 'cause each carb got the same amount of fuel mixture.

The V-twin has an uneven firing order and one cylinder has less time to get its mixture out of the carb than the other.  Also, it might be an advantage to run a richer mixture on the rear cylinder.  Maybe the dual carb Mikuni setup might be the answer?

These are just ideas from an "outsider."  I have never worked on an H-D.

Offline Unforgiven

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 09:55:54 PM »
I always had good results from the CV carb. Less finicky than a mik.

Offline Bookfla

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 02:29:50 PM »
Before you tear apart your carb are you sure your petcock is not starving the system?

Offline RGV

• New folks
  • MPS/G 250 140.46 MPH
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 05:01:24 AM »
Fuel tank breather?

Dave

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 12:06:00 AM »
Sudco makes a needle and seat for pressure, used it on my Aerocharged Buell.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!