Author Topic: AWD to RWD conversion Gas Coupe question  (Read 25862 times)

LittleLiner

AWD to RWD conversion Gas Coupe question
« on: January 27, 2017, 12:48:40 PM »
Gas coupe rules say that you cannot convert a front wheel drive car to rear wheel drive and still be legal in gas coupe.  The rules also say that all wheel drive or four wheel drive cars are only allowed in Production or Special Construction.

This leaves one other possibility . . converting an all wheel drive car to be a rear wheel drive car and run in gas coupe.  Something like an Audi or Subaru or Eagle Talon comes to mind. . .

Offline jacksoni

Re: AWD to RWD conversion Gas Coupe question
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 01:41:53 PM »
Some of those (Well Audi anyway, don't know on the others) come as two wheel drive variations so you probably would be ok and no one is likely to look anyway. Especially ECTA. SCTA might be more picky and for them would for sure ask for an official opinion.  Seems like a lot of work/$. What do you think would be the advantage? But if starting from "I have no car and am looking for one" status, start with a 2WD variant as available.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 11:28:50 PM »
You can divorce the trans from the engine and put it in back on the Audis... a la Porsche 924/944.
I have no idea what I'm doing... but it seems to be working!

Offline SteveM

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 05:20:11 PM »
My 2 cents - (not an official ruling by any means)....

Some of the Subarus, Audis, and Eagles were available as 2WD versions.  As far as I know, all of those that were available as 2WD were set up as front-wheel-drive vehicles.  As far as I can remember, none were ever sold as rear wheel drive only vehicles.

My interpretation is that it would not be permissible to create a RWD vehicle from either a FWD or AWD vehicle under Gas Coupe rules.  (again - my opinion is worth exactly what you have paid for it).

My logic goes like this....

1.  AWD vehicles are not allowed in Gas Coupe.
2.  At least some of the vehicles in question were available in front wheel drive configuration.
3.  None were available "from the factory" in rear wheel drive only configuration.
4.  It  is not legal to convert from front wheel drive to rear wheel drive in GC rules.
5.  Hence - rear wheel drive conversions are not legal in Gas Coupe.

1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

LittleLiner

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 11:53:36 PM »
Steve . . .I suspect your views are probably the correct way of looking at this.  I have a Geo Metro being prepped for Gas Coupe.  Geo Metros, Suzuki Swifts and Pontiac Fireflys are all the same car, all built by Suzuki and all front wheel drive.  They were also available in Japan and some other countries as the Suzuki Cultus.  The Cultus was available as an all wheel drive.  I was hoping that I could run the car as a Cultus with the front wheel drive equipment removed and running only the rear differential.  Hence a Gas Coupe with rear wheel drive. 

Frankly I guess I was over thinking it . . . .as usual.   

For Gas Coupe I need to stick with front wheel drive or switch to Altered or Competition Coupe with Rear wheel drive.   

In any case the car have been siting untouched for almost a year.  My shoulder injury has finally healed to the point that I can soon get back on it. 

With ECTA still searching for a racing location I guess I need to revise my plans and get the car legal for El Mirage and Bonneville . . .i.e. full cage, fire system, maybe lexan windows, etc, etc.

the saga continues . . . .
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 11:55:11 PM by LittleLiner »

Offline SteveM

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 04:32:45 PM »
How about The Colorado Mile?  Might be a handy place to run...

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers