Landracing Forum Home
October 17, 2017, 01:11:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
BACK TO LANDRACING.COM HOMEPAGE

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

Live Audio Streaming and Archives of Past Events
Next Live Event: TBD
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quickchange horse power drain  (Read 5785 times)
Rex Schimmer

Only time and money prevent completion!

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2016, 03:41:27 PM »

Frank06 said "No way it is 98% efficient.... chain drive isn't even that good." Actually roller chain is really only 90 to 92% efficient the best drive "chain style" drive are the HVO belt drives which are over 98% efficient.  Sorry for the hi-jack now back to quick change question.

Rex

Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.
ronnieroadster

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2016, 09:06:15 PM »

The latest issue of Hot Rod Mag has an interesting article about the Ford 9 inch its not anything helpful for my question but still good reading.

Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 186.946
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 192.448
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Had
manta22

What, me worry?

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2016, 09:37:38 PM »

They quoted an efficiency number in that article.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
floydjer

"There is no duck side of the moon..."

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2016, 09:06:13 AM »

AMC products from 1982-87 used a 2.21 gear set. Maybe somewhere out in industrial gear-land there is a bevel gear set of 1.5-1 that a clever person with a mill and lathe (No, I am not volunteering) Could machine a case that would mount change gears to get you down to the ratio you want...Double gear reduction working in your favor.

I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.
desotoman

Modified Roadster

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2016, 01:56:24 PM »

Maybe somewhere out in industrial gear-land there is a bevel gear set of 1.5-1 that a clever person with a mill and lathe (No, I am not volunteering) Could machine a case that would mount change gears to get you down to the ratio you want.

Has already been done by one person I know of, his name was George Parker (RIP), he made a quickchange back in the early 1990's and you could get it with a 1.5-1 or 1-1 ring and pinion.

Mel Swain (Swain Bros-Helash-Hoover) used the unit in his Blown Fuel Modified Roadster, in 1994 with a 1-1 ring and pinion. They still hold the top 3 engine class records at El Mirage in BFMR some 20 plus years later.

Tom G.

* normal_300-mph-clubber-kenny-hooverSmall.jpg (47.55 KB, 600x480 - viewed 92 times.)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 02:05:28 PM by desotoman » Logged

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers. As a young boy I was always taught that there is no such thing as a stupid question. It suggests that the quest for knowledge includes failure, and that just because one person may know less than others they should not be afraid to ask rather than pretend they already know. In many cases multiple people may not know but are too afraid to ask the "stupid question"; the one who asks the question may in fact be doing a service to those around them.
floydjer

"There is no duck side of the moon..."

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2016, 03:06:41 PM »

See...Every now and then I have a lucid thought...............

I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.
Ron Gibson

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2016, 03:56:39 PM »

IIRC John MacKichan used a 1.5-1 bevel gear in a V8 QC center section in his and Tim's liner. He machined everything but the center housing (side bells,etc.) to make it work. I think with the right spur gears they could get .63-1 final drive ratio. Huge hours involved to get it done.

Ron

Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.
Jack Gifford

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2016, 02:44:08 AM »

When Mickey Thompson first considered "challenging" (pun intended) Cobb's record in late '58, the first item he envisioned was single-spur-gear sets (1:2) at each wheel, to obviate the need for pinion shafts/bearing to spin about 13,000 RPM. These four gearsets were actually the very first pieces fabricated. Admittedly, this approach could possibly require reverse-rotation engine(s)- but it served very well in the Challenger 'liner (since 2 of the 4 engines needed reverse-rotation anyway). Just something to keep in mind...

M/T Pontiac hemi guru
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: