Bonneville Salt Flats Discussion > Bonneville General Chat

L.Ranger records

(1/4) > >>

hawkwind:
G'day ,Im after any history and or information on the records by L.Ranger 1000cc A/BF  and A/BF 1350, record book says  a Honda  and is the 750 record by Gansberger  the same bike , anyone know anything ?
Gary :)

1212FBGS:
The Ranger/Bickford record"s" were with a CB750/900 F baced motors. althow Ranger, Bickford, and Gansberger were all SDRC members it was not the same machine. Gansberger used a turbo earlier single cam honda cb750 motors. Jim Bickford built and used the later styled twin cam motors.

Larry Forstall:
Les' 219 open record is still one of the most impressive in the book. His two runs were 226 and 212. The Honda used mechanical injection and ran on methanol. I believe Jim Bickford used the same engine in his car streamliner.

Larry Forstall:
Pic of Les and his Honda.

Freud:
I did the fotos for the story that CYCLE Magazine did of Les. It included his portrait with his 200 MPH Club hat.  That 219 was a handful for him. The bike moved around a lot and he was one of the early people to experience traction problems related to HP.

Les was crazy for Nitro. I don't think he ever ran a bike of any displacement that wasn't fueled by nitro.

I saw him about 2 years ago and he has shifted over to boat racing. It happens more frequently and he doesn't have to drive as far to get to them. Bickford built a marvelous bike and power plant. When he put the engine in a streamliner car he crashed VERY HARD. I don't think he has ever participated since then. As I recall it was a 250+ MPH run. He was one of the earliest people to use a bike engine in a car and it was stunning in it's performance.

Everett, WA USA

FREUD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version