Author Topic: Standard sort of question of the day  (Read 5651 times)

Offline jjolly

Standard sort of question of the day
« on: June 03, 2016, 10:35:08 AM »
I may try to make Loring this year and of course my thoughts are of gearing. Has anyone ran  both the mile and then Lorings 1.5 mile course? I would assume a gearing change was necessary? I am currently running a 2.73 in my 8.8. I have a 2.47 in the garage. I dont have an OD trans. I could put taller tires on. I assume it's is easier to turn a taller tire than a shorter gear?
Thoughts?
Joe
 C/CGC 79 Mustang. 214.698 Speedweek 2021
Why not now?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Standard sort of question of the day
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 11:10:26 AM »
You will never know if you can go faster until you try.  Some vehicles are power/aero limited... we experienced that a Bonneville years ago when Marty got into the club.  After 8 runs, with gear changes, tuning changes, shift point changes..... none of it mattered... all within .5 MPH... we felt like we were bracket racing
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 03:59:01 PM »
 I have watched many cars that run the mile at Wilmington make runs at Loring. Most do not change gears for the extra half mile. The higher horse power cars will pick up 15 to 18 MPH in the last half mile. At Loring your time slip will show the mile speed as well the mile and a half speed. You can run only to the mile if you want or continue under power for the long coarse. Of course if your toped out now on RPM at the mile in Wilmington your going to need a gear change or tire diameter that's taller if you decide to run the full length at Loring.  :cheers:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 03:17:38 PM »
You will never know if you can go faster until you try.  Some vehicles are power/aero limited... we experienced that a Bonneville years ago when Marty got into the club.  After 8 runs, with gear changes, tuning changes, shift point changes..... none of it mattered... all within .5 MPH... we felt like we were bracket racing

When POWER available is equal to POWER required (ALL forms of drag and losses), YOU ARE DONE.

As the above example illustrates, there can be small variances, but basically, you have nothing left to accelerate the vehicle.

Newton wins this argument, every time.
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 03:49:35 PM »
"Newton wins this argument, every time."

...except when approaching quantum mechanical territory-- Einstein & Heisenberg win.  :-D

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 03:50:53 PM »
I don't think any of us will be going that fast, though.  :roll:

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 04:52:29 PM »

...except when approaching quantum mechanical territory-- Einstein & Heisenberg win.  :-D

Just don't ask Schrödinger's cat about it!  :? :-o :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 05:27:36 PM »
"Einstein & Heisenberg"

Did you mean Steinegger and Eschenbaugh?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RansomT

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 05:33:25 PM »

Just don't ask Schrödinger's cat about it!  :? :-o :-D

LOL!  Geez!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 05:36:49 PM »
I sure wouldn't ask Heisenberg.  I heard he's an uncertain kind of guy. :dhorse:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 07:55:19 PM »
Physicists discover an infinite number of quantum speed limits: http://phys.org/news/2016-06-physicists-infinite-quantum-limits.html
Everyone gets a record and you get to keep it forever!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Slim, I'm sure that Heisenberg was positively uncertain about certainty!  :-D :-D :-D
Got to go now - have to find those missing Neutrinos, Quarks & Bosons!  :-o :-o :-o
Maybe the BLM knows where they are?  :? :? :?
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 08:03:04 PM »
Physicists discover an infinite number of quantum speed limits: http://phys.org/news/2016-06-physicists-infinite-quantum-limits.html
Everyone gets a record and you get to keep it forever!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Slim, I'm sure that Heisenberg was positively uncertain about certainty!  :-D :-D :-D
Got to go now - have to find those missing Neutrinos, Quarks & Bosons!  :-o :-o :-o
Maybe the BLM knows where they are?  :? :? :?

Oh NO you mentioned the BLM no good idea!   :evil:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"