Landracing Forum Home
December 13, 2017, 12:20:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
BACK TO LANDRACING.COM HOMEPAGE

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

Live Audio Streaming and Archives of Past Events
Next Live Event: TBD
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2016 SCTA CALIFORNIA MILE  (Read 6129 times)
vintageracecar

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 02:17:55 AM »

I know the two trips thing was a problem for me.  Plus, impound only once... that means you have to gamble on what your fastest speed will be before it breaks or something.  Plus I would have needed front brakes.  I have them, but I can't install them without designing a new rear brake solution.

Well, not quite sure what "Two Trip Thing" you are referring to. Why make two trips? Show up, get inspected, engine sealed if you would want to run on a record, run until you know that's about the best you can do,
get certified in impound before you go home or come back for Elmo next month.. Impound only once, yes. We were planing on 100 entries. How would you want to certify 100 records x 2, x 3..in one weekend. Got to be somewhat realistic.
Where does it say you needed Front Brakes on your bike. We've ran a dozen bikes w/o Front Brakes during the Mojave Mile event in August.
Guess you should have asked some more questions. 
mergatroyd

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 09:36:44 AM »

I know the two trips thing was a problem for me.  Plus, impound only once... that means you have to gamble on what your fastest speed will be before it breaks or something.  Plus I would have needed front brakes.  I have them, but I can't install them without designing a new rear brake solution.

Well, not quite sure what "Two Trip Thing" you are referring to. Why make two trips? Show up, get inspected, engine sealed if you would want to run on a record, run until you know that's about the best you can do,
get certified in impound before you go home or come back for Elmo next month.. Impound only once, yes. We were planing on 100 entries. How would you want to certify 100 records x 2, x 3..in one weekend. Got to be somewhat realistic.
Where does it say you needed Front Brakes on your bike. We've ran a dozen bikes w/o Front Brakes during the Mojave Mile event in August.
Guess you should have asked some more questions. 
I guess I should have asked more questions.  I thought engine inspection was not part of the process, and I had to get it inspected either before the event or after the event up to the next El Mirage meet.  Even if I can get it inspected in SoCal, that's still an extra weekend trip of 800+ miles for me. I don't go to El Mirage events because an ~1800 mile round trip for one or two runs is just not cost effective for me.

I didn't realize there was no requirement for front brakes.  I think I have a requirement for them on asphalt even if the rules don't.  My hard-tail also will not pass Mojave Mile tech, will a link-type pass for SCTA asphalt events?

I understand the limitation on impound time. Neither of my bikes are in that stage of development, and couldn't have been by the date of the race.

Even for a more professional/experienced team, how do you "know that's about the best you can do?" When I watch drag races, cars blow up fairly regularly. "I've totally got 10 more miles an hour in this." Boom.  No record.

Again, you are correct. I should have asked these questions beforehand, and I should have contacted the SCTA people in charge of the various departments.  But those were my concerns and my biggest reasons for not buying in.  Dead Horse

I have no idea what I'm doing... but it seems to be working!
fredvance

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 09:49:37 AM »

If I had not had previous commitments I would have made the 2600 mile round trip. Mojave is a great track and running just a mile you have tons of shut down room. May be SCTA can try and scheduel another neet with a little more lead time. SCTA should be applauded for trying to get a meet going. We dont know what is going to happen at Bonneville. Mojave would be a great place to shake down your vehicles and get a record.

WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing
TheBaron

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 10:04:14 AM »

Yes, lets applaud All involved with trying to put on this event,,,,it's a lot of work and rarely noticed by busy racers…

This alternate venue is a great idea and should be actively followed up by one and all.

Maybe a $100 deposit several months out from the event and full payment  30-45-60 days ? out to lock things up would work for all of us racers with vehicles scattered all over the place… Enough lead time is important for some of us...

Robert
Milwaukee Midget
Global Moderator

Bonneville I/GT record holder - 122.539 mph

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 01:25:00 PM »

I agree with Freedvance and TheBaron.  I particularly like the idea of it being a BNI event.

I know it was all a bit 'last minute', but perhaps this might give us a breather to think about how such an event could be better put together, how to promote it, and to give folks enough time to assess any modifications they would need to perform in order to run on pavement. 

I'd say put it on the schedule, plan on it for next year, and let us know early.  cheers

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  rolleyes

We are NOT rebuilding . . . We are reloading.

GOD SAVE MG - The Queen can take care of herself!
mergatroyd

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2016, 01:31:42 PM »

I agree with Freedvance and TheBaron.  I particularly like the idea of it being a BNI event.

I know it was all a bit 'last minute', but perhaps this might give us a breather to think about how such an event could be better put together, how to promote it, and to give folks enough time to assess any modifications they would need to perform in order to run on pavement. 

I'd say put it on the schedule, plan on it for next year, and let us know early.  cheers
I support and endorse the sentiments above.

More time to plan might have made my answer different.

I have no idea what I'm doing... but it seems to be working!
Glen
Global Moderator

SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2016, 01:39:50 PM »

I think there are other issues at the mile. The people who have the airport wont allow spectators which would help with the costs, the other problem is I heard from a good source where the two runways cross has a dip the cause some handling issues and one lakester got a bit airborn said they would not run again. Vehicles need suspension to run LSR cars. The cost is tough for people to come a long way and only get a couple of runs. Another issue is the lakes and salt you get wheel spin but on pavement little wheel spin but hard on clutch's. cheers

Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah
fredvance

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2016, 02:42:34 PM »

When we have run at Mojave we have always gotten at three or four runs a day in. Billy Shoemaker ran 269 on his bike, Brenda Sue 239 on my bike, Big red Camero 235+. All of these have suspension so the cars and bikes that are rigid might have a little problem. All in all it is a very good venue.

WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing
Seldom Seen Slim
Administrator

Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2016, 05:21:34 PM »

It's been a while since I ran under ECTA rules, but they had a front wheel brake requirement for bikes over 175, as I remember.  So those of us that raced there and at Bville had to figure out what to do.  Not all that bad and it was kinda fun having the two way-different surfaces on which to run.  Many of the rules are modified for track surface - etc.

We only made the trip from home to Maxton to Bville and home again once or twice -- and yes, to those who are a long way from Mojave -- there's no way to reduce the drive.  But if you wanna race you gotta fill the tank and ride.

Would I race at the Mojave Mile again if I had to support the race bike from home?  Heck, no.  It'd be about a 5,000 mile round trip.  If it were closer - Maxton was 2,500 back and forth -- I'd do it for sure.  Pavement racing in LSR is fun. grin

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: