Author Topic: Center hub steering - control linkages - design questions  (Read 3678 times)

Offline klwinter2

• New folks
Center hub steering - control linkages - design questions
« on: November 24, 2015, 12:12:34 PM »
I am using a center hub steering design in a vehicle I am building...  it is not a salt flat racer.. I don't want to go that fast.....  My vehicle is a leaning vehicle like a motorcycle..   I have used a front suspension from a 1994 Yamaha GTS1000.    I have the front end mounted to the frame..   I have the steering wheel mounting..

1. My question is how do I connect the fixed steering shaft to the moving front end without introducing bump steer.
2. Will the vehicle be controllable with a steering wheel.. we have discussed, argued about it thoroughly.

Offline lmfoley79

• New folks
Re: Center hub steering - control linkages - design questions
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 02:20:06 PM »
Some pictures would be helpful. At any rate the motorcycle had a set of handlebars stock and if you compressed the suspension the motorcycle wouldn't turn if the bars remained fixed. If you basically replace the bars with a steering arm and a drag link, as long as the pivot point where the bars mounted and the steering gear are chassis mounted it should continue to not have bump steer.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 02:29:36 PM »
Without pictures or sketches we're shooting totally in the dark. My imagination goes all over the place when I try to envision what you're talking about. Is this a three wheeler? If you're looking for help we can usually offer it but we need to know what we're dealing with.  :? :? :?

Pete

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 05:17:49 PM »
Good article on the GTS 1000 and Parker's designs here: http://silodrome.com/yamaha-gts-1000/

Don't know what the poster has in mind.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline lmfoley79

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 09:08:48 PM »
I know them well enough to know it's a variant of the Hossack design, which pretty much all have some method of pivoting the controls at a fixed chassis mounted location(knuckle linkage or telescoping steering shaft) As long as this portion of the suspension geometry is retained or replicated there will be no bump steer.

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 04:27:10 AM »
On your question 2 I would ask why you want to use a steering wheel, since a leaning vehicle does not require any where near the amount of steering angle change as a vertical one does to achieve the same directional change. If your vehicle is a 3 wheel type that locks vertical at low speed and leans at higher speeds, I would suggest that handle bars are still the most logical control setup, as most riders are used to switching back and forth from steering to counter steering as the need arises.

When I was a kid, one of my friends got a bicycle with a steering wheel instead of handle bars. Some of us, myself included, couldn't even ride the damned thing, since we had already developed ingrained habits (we were all under 10 years old) that told us to turn a steering wheel in the direction we wanted to go, and to counter steer with handlebars. I think that this could only be worse now, with a lifetime of habit built up.
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams