Author Topic: Rebuttal to Bonneville Salt Loss  (Read 57111 times)

Offline Buickguy3

Re: Rebuttal to Bonneville Salt Loss
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2015, 10:29:56 PM »
Sid,
  I'll show up when yu give the word. Meet you at Carmen's. Anybody else game for a trip to the Salt? [What's left of it].

Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline tauruck

« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2015, 10:33:05 PM »
Wish I could join you guys but maybe I should stick to the images I have for now. :cry:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2015, 03:25:42 PM »
Sid,
  I'll show up when yu give the word. Meet you at Carmen's. Anybody else game for a trip to the Salt? [What's left of it].

Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

PM'd
  Sid.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2015, 04:31:36 PM »
"West of Wendover" ???:? :? :? :?   Woa- what?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2015, 01:10:59 PM »
  It's funny how things happen sometimes.
  A few posts back We were discussing How much the Salt surface had lowered at the End of The Road.
  Hooley (Huffman) just posted on Facebook a link to a Mickey Thompson video (Macs Motor City Garage.com) that shows the Challenger Streamliner being towed out onto the Salt and OFF THE END OF THE ROAD ITSELF!!  This would have been in the Early 1960's about when the mining began.
  It appears to be less than a one foot drop off as the open trailer doesn't appear fazed at all by the dip.
  I was so excited that I shut it off to post this!  Now I can go back and watch the whole thing.
                                                                                            One Run, out.................................................
Bob Drury

Offline jdincau

« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2015, 01:16:54 PM »
Different end of different road
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2015, 01:49:40 PM »
  J.D.  Tell us more.  I am as interested as anyone about getting my "facts" straight.  I had no idea there was more than one road.
  Hope to see all of Us on the salt again.................  Bob :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2015, 04:33:08 PM »
pre I-80 completion  the interstate was not completed when I was there in 69
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2015, 05:02:58 PM »
US-40 was still the active highway in 1970. As I recall, I-80 was open in 1971 when we brought the Honda Hawk out in September. However, considerable debris from the highway construction had apparently drifted out onto the International Course over the 1970-1971 winter, leaving a wavy surface after the dried mud blew away in the summer. This gave us fits, losing traction and over-revving the engines, causing drive chain and valve damage. Was anybody there for the SCTA meet that summer?
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast

Offline jdincau

« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2015, 05:21:41 PM »
I started in 1962 and untill 1970 the access was directly off the old highway 40, now a frontage road just south of the interstate. I didn't race 1971 through 1975 so I don't know how the transition worked.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 05:30:27 PM by jdincau »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2015, 06:32:55 PM »
The first time I went in 74 when I parked my double bottoms at the end of the road there was not nearly the drop off to the salt level there is now. The drop off was to salt, not 100 yards of mud to get to salt as the last several years when we could race. I would say it would at least be as much as the culvert post is showing. I don't think I have any pictures from then that would show anything.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2015, 07:58:18 PM »
  Thanx for the reply's guys, I had assumed I-80 was the Highway since day one.............
  p.s. watch that M/T video.  It is really cool.       Bob
Bob Drury

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2015, 03:31:58 PM »
End of the road 1980
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline JR'S PAPA

« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2015, 11:30:25 PM »
My dad took me and the family out to see Mickey Thompson run in '60, when he ran 406 mph. I was 13 and vividly remember the total experience. There were not very many "civilians" spectating on the Salt. We were East of the course and it seemed much closer than spectators are allowed today. As the time got close to Mickey's run, dad told us to try to get near our car as possible, just in case something went wrong. Then I recall hearing  "...here he comes". I saw the salt spray before I saw the car. The roar was nothing I had ever heard before and as he was right in front of our car the blue blur seemed to momentarily stand still. After the run we waited in the pits for what seemed a long time. We saw many other teams, motorcycles and cars. Some guys were either putting a second engine in or taking it out of "The Mickey Mouse Challenger", a Crosley sedan, I think.

I have very fond memories of Mickey returning to the pits and the crew taking the body panels from the Challenger. He was busy but came over and introduced himself to me and my dad. He spent what seems like a long tome explaining, and answering every question an annoying kid could ask. He made a fan for life.  (Funny, 20 years later, Al Teague.. did the very same thing with my son, and another generation of admirers was born.) My old man had been at the Flats when Eyston and Cobb had run in the '30s, and was the first to the scene when Easton wrapped his tire around the axle. He was on his Harley, and beat the emergency crew to the car.

Anyway, the trip to the Salt Flats took 3 hours from Salt Lake City on U.S.40. We drove right off the highway and paid no fee to watch. The Salt was so hot and so very white. Last year I watched and cheered on Danny Thompson with my grandson. I re-met and introduced myself to Danny's dear mother and told her I was there when she drove the Pontiac station wagon into the pits.

I have considerable memories invested in the SALT FLATS and we must keep this great part of our collective national heritage available to pass on to my grandson's kids.
Been there, seen that! And now I can say I participate, with my kid and his kid, J.R...........

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2015, 02:03:57 AM »
I envy you those experiences JR's PAPA! Mickey's been my idol also for that long, but only through print media and a few phone conversations in the eighties.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020