Author Topic: lil vid cameras inside cabin?  (Read 14389 times)

Offline entropy

lil vid cameras inside cabin?
« on: August 05, 2015, 07:13:22 AM »
TFA currently has a Racepak/Replay vid camera solidly mounted inside the cabin on the fwd, upper edge of the canopy, above the top rear of the windshield.  We have a 2nd camera on the tail to capture parachute deployment. Both cameras/mounts passed tech, took good vids, but the cabin camera doesn't currently capture the instruments.

Until Jake learns how to integrate the logs w/the vids, i'd like to remount the cabin camera further back so it simultaneously gets both the fwd track view and the gauges.

Does anyone care to comment on the safety & tech inspection issues associated with in-cabin vid cameras?
karl

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: lil vid cameras inside cabin?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 12:39:49 PM »
Instead of moving your camera and asking it to do double duty maybe consider a second camera.  I posted another option to say a GoPro a year or so ago and will paste it below.  I just ordered another of these cameras for the car recently for about $70.  I think you would find they would do a good job on the instruments or any other need you might have,

Sumner

=============================================

.. Would be curious to know what camera they used. ...

Not sure what they were using but I just got 3 cameras for Hooley's car and so far really like them.

You can find them by goggling SJ1000....

https://www.google.com/search?q=sj1000&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

They came out of China in under 2 weeks for under $60 each....

.... with a lot of mounting hardware.  The video is much better than anything we have used before.

Here is a test run in town up to the hardware store.  When I edited it I was using a new editor and some how saved it at twice the real speed so that was my fault not the camera as the video on it came off normal speed....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5IcqsLbiaY&list=UUxFiJQoy2NEbltvkvT2q71g

I bought it because of this review....

http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/6/9/sj1000-at-lasta-good-cheap-action-camera.html

... and the videos in the review.  It might not be up to the latest Go-Pros but it looks as good to me as some of the earlier ones and is way less.  For less than the price of one Go-Pro we can have 3 cameras,  one on the dash/driver, out the front and out the back for the chute.

You can find them at Amazon and on E-bay at a wide range of prices. 

One feature I like is that if you connect it to 12 volt power in the car you don't have to remember to turn it on or start and stop the recording.  It will start recording when the power goes on and stop when the power goes off.  This could be on a switched circuit or in our case when we throw the 'master on/off' on.  In the past we have forgot to turn cameras on and off causing loss of video.  Also include is a waterproof case that we will use for the outside mount at the back of the car to protect it from the salt spray.  I guess we will see how it works out,

Sum

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 03:20:37 PM »
I use the Replay Mini 1080, which is really small and very easy to use (you can see the results over in the Loring forums, where I posted one of my runs, or by just going to this YouTube link: https://youtu.be/K-_EC9Ho6dA). I have it mounted on one of those selfie sticks, which then conveniently screws onto an existing screw on the floor of the car, and then I also duct tape it to one of the cage bars. But you can also buy cheap cage bar mounts, which would probably be even easier, and would allow you to basically put the camera anywhere (including in front of your gauges)...
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline entropy

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 04:55:23 AM »
guys, thanks for the input!

Sumner, i agree with you about a 3rd camera and will do it.

But this thread is under Safety because i am curious about the issue of camera inside the cabin coming loose in a rollover. 
Any safety concerns?
karl

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 11:47:05 AM »
guys, thanks for the input!

Sumner, i agree with you about a 3rd camera and will do it.

But this thread is under Safety because i am curious about the issue of camera inside the cabin coming loose in a rollover. 
Any safety concerns?
karl

Well, I'm not saying that anything flying around would be good, but the Replay Mini is so light that it would almost be like having a pen flying around the cabin during a rollover...
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 12:20:58 PM »
Some of the nicest roll bar mounts I have seen are these by Eye of Mine

http://www.eyeofmineactioncameras.com/Eye_Of_Mine_Roll_Bar_Mount_1_to_2_RUST_PROOF_p/rrlb-rp.htm

I agree would be a good idea to put some sort of tether on the camera so if it comes off the mount for some reason it has a second retention system.
Could be as simple as radiator clamp and a short piece of aircraft cable.

Offline Freud

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 03:43:13 PM »
Use a plastic wire bundle instead of a radiator clamp.

FREUS
Since '63

Offline ONEBADBUG

• Gearheadscookbook
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 11:57:05 PM »
Just a heads up, I used a Go Pro with a view of the gauges. My plan was to look at the A/F, etc. after each run to tune the car, but you couldn't read the digital gauges. Maybe they had the same frequency or something?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 10:28:35 AM »
Karl, we had a go pro in the liner when it crashed... the camera did not cause any damage... it was ejected somewhere along the way.   The camera lived but the SCTA tried to download the video... it did not survive.
We also had a laptop in the car collecting data, one of Pork Pie's picture shows it being thrown clear of the crash.  Needless to say, it also died.  I do not think any of these electronic pieces posed any threat to the driver. 
Secure them as best you can, but I'll bet their mounts won't keep them attached if something untoward happens.
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Aarone

• New folks
    • My Race Team site
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
Has anybody seen this camera?

http://www.waylens.com/design/

« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 05:01:13 PM by Aarone »