Landracing Forum Home
December 17, 2017, 04:11:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
BACK TO LANDRACING.COM HOMEPAGE

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

Live Audio Streaming and Archives of Past Events
Next Live Event: TBD
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SCTA MOJAVE MILE  (Read 48100 times)
Mike Borders

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2015, 11:52:51 AM »

Results on SCTA home pg but Sunday the same as Sat.

No time for us on 3rd run but data log indicated 227mph which would have been top time of day.

I wonder how that happened.

JL222

You know EXACTLY how it happened, because Ed told you himself, when you came through to get your timing ticket:  You were the last run of the day, and Ed turned off the traps just before your run to let the Rescue truck pass through the traps in reverse direction for the racer previous to you who stopped on the course, and forgot to turn them back on.  In seven years of working with him, this is the first time this has happened.  It was an honest mistake that he regrets.  He also gave you $100 out of his own pocket for race fuel because he felt badly about it -- how many people do you know that would do that?

It is also not possible with our system to "delete" or remove a time once a car has passed through operating traps.  It is electronically recorded and the speed display can NOT be interrupted to "not" show the display, nor can the speed obtained by the racer be changed or altered, either in the computer or on the display board.
dw230

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2015, 12:42:20 PM »

Seems reasonable to me.

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.
Seldom Seen Slim
Administrator

Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!

« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2015, 01:10:13 PM »

Ah, will I never quit?  It's back to fundraising to pay off the trip to the Mojave Mile last weekend.  I had temporarily forgot about this next item.

Tony Huntimer came up to me with a bag of calendars and gave it to me.  One for (me), he said, and the rest as fund raiser swag to help the website.  And so therefore here's the deal:

These suckers are pretty big, you know, so I'm going to have to roll them and ship 'em in tubes.  I don't know how much shipping is going to be, so I'm hesitant to give a suggested price that includes S&H.  Let's figure it'll cost me $10 for a tube and postage.  And then - -
I've got a half dozen or so of the famous Huntimer calendar.  I have no doubt that you've all seen them zillions of times.  Tony sells them for $20, I think -- and since this is for raising $$ for the website, you can ship me a minimum of $40 (which price will include S&H) and I'll send a calendar to you.  I'll need shippig address, of course, and remember to order soon -- I've only got that 5 or 6 calendar supply.

But no matter how many I have and how many you buy -- let's all thank the Huntimers for supporting landracing.com.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com
jl222

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: August 13, 2015, 01:20:28 PM »

Results on SCTA home pg but Sunday the same as Sat.

No time for us on 3rd run but data log indicated 227mph which would have been top time of day.

I wonder how that happened.

JL222

You know EXACTLY how it happened, because Ed told you himself, when you came through to get your timing ticket:  You were the last run of the day, and Ed turned off the traps just before your run to let the Rescue truck pass through the traps in reverse direction for the racer previous to you who stopped on the course, and forgot to turn them back on.  In seven years of working with him, this is the first time this has happened.  It was an honest mistake that he regrets.  He also gave you $100 out of his own pocket for race fuel because he felt badly about it -- how many people do you know that would do that?

It is also not possible with our system to "delete" or remove a time once a car has passed through operating traps.  It is electronically recorded and the speed display can NOT be interrupted to "not" show the display, nor can the speed obtained by the racer be changed or altered, either in the computer or on the display board.

Ed didn't say anything to me. So I just called Troy, Ed stopped by our pits, apologized and explained what happened to
  TROY and insisted on giving us $100. Troy never told me what happened with timing. We were in rush to pack up before deadline.  We didn't stop for timing slip that did not exist not sure motorhome was still there when we pushed back, if it was there, nobody came out to hand us anything. I didn't know Ed stopped by our PITS. until he had left. Now you and I know[almost exactly] the rest of the story.

We know mistakes can happen, we even forgot to remove the scoop cover 1st run Sunday. No worries Ed cheers

After all our troubles we learned a lot, car hooks up, handles great at speed and stops no problem.

We liked the race and hope SCTA can get enough support for another.

JL222

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:31:32 PM by jl222 » Logged
vintageracecar

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2015, 03:51:18 PM »

Thank You Mike, for clarifying how the mishap on the timing of car 222 happened on Saturday afternoon.
Nice to hear it from you. That should finally put any speculations to rest. Ed is about as professional and
experienced with timing racing events, as anybody you could possibly find. Besides timing the Mojave Mile
events, he has been timing the Texas Mile events and many others.

Regarding the fact, that mistakes and misunderstandings can, and will happen in any event. That statement
could not be more true. We (the SCTA) had never had an event like this one before. Please keep in mind,
the short time frame we had available to put it together and the Most important detail, we are all un-paid
volunteers. Everyone who volunteered during the Scta MM event gave it their all. Very proud to know, what
our association can accomplish, if we all work together with a combined goal.

Last but definitely not least, we were very fortunate to have the guidance and experience of Mike Borders
and the entire MKM staff, to make this event happen.
It happened Safely and everybody who was able to experience it, had a good time. Thanks MKM !!

Mike 
PorkPie

think fast.....always

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: August 16, 2015, 01:34:52 PM »

Finally back home, after a small loop to Denver (John Boy, thanks for the great welcome).

Was some strange meet, with some confusion at the beginning, but they all work it out....had my fun, the heat gave a little bit hard time to do clean and sharp picture....it create some blur...will see what I can do with them.....

this for now....hoping to see you again at the salt in September.....

Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member
jacksoni

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: August 17, 2015, 07:21:23 AM »

Was looking for results. the list on the SCTA website only shows car number (last I looked). Any chance this will be deciphered to classes so we know who actually ran and did what?

Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 169.741  2009
 G/GMS-178.835 2010
NathanStewart

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: August 17, 2015, 10:40:23 AM »

Can someone give some details on timing setup?  I thought I saw something about "laser".  Is it a trap with start point and end point and speeds are time across distance or is it a laser speed gun like a highway patrol would have?

El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member
BigIron
New folks

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: August 17, 2015, 11:43:47 AM »

Can someone give some details on timing setup?  I thought I saw something about "laser".  Is it a trap with start point and end point and speeds are time across distance or is it a laser speed gun like a highway patrol would have?

There were two laser beams, 132 ft from the finish and at the finish.  Time between breaking those two beams determined the speed reported.

vintageracecar

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2015, 11:16:04 PM »

Good News !! Heather worked through the weekend and just posted the Scta Mojave Mile Results with Car/Bike classes etc..
Fastest Runs are in Yellow for each vehicle. Runs in Red did not finish. Scroll to the bottom of each list for a listing of
the Fastest Cars / Bikes.
Talked to her earlier and if she finds a little time tonight, she'll add the entry names by tomorrow.

Make sure to REFRESH our Home Page after you go on. Don't ask me why, sometimes it will not show you the Newest Posts,
unless you refresh the page.

Mike

wobblywalrus

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: August 17, 2015, 11:59:56 PM »

That was real nice of the SCTA to have that race.  It was a lot of work and it gave some folks from overseas nice memories. of the USA.
Stan Back

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2015, 09:37:02 AM »

It WAS a nice gift -- but the SCTA could ill-afford to give it.  MM -- Mojave Mistake.

Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters California's most-exclusive roadster club.
Celebrating 65th anniversary of racing on the salt.
ronnieroadster

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2015, 03:43:21 PM »

It WAS a nice gift -- but the SCTA could ill-afford to give it.  MM -- Mojave Mistake.

Stan this is why I like reading your posts you say speak your mind no messing around.
 On a side note what's needed on the left coast is what we enjoy here on the right coast. Standing mile runs on runways. What started at Maxton so long ago has grown into the Wilmington mile and the Loring mile plus the mile and a half. It may not be racing on dirt or salt but its something    cheers

Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 186.946
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 192.448
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Had
"Life Memeber of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"
Seldom Seen Slim
Administrator

Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!

« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2015, 02:07:24 PM »

Here's what Dan Warner has to say about the event at the Mojave Mile recently.  Please read and decide if you need to make a comment.

Dan said:

"Impound Insights - August 8-9, 2015  Mojave Mile Edition                     
I don't normally write an Impound Insights in the month of August, but this is a special case. The cancellation of the 2015 Speed Week event put the SCTA in a tough position. Give credit to the SCTA Board and volunteers for creating the first SCTA Mojave Mile to relieve the racers of the stress caused by the cancellation. This was a rapid, fast moving idea that went from the first suggestion to reality in just 10 days. There were several teams from outside the USA that were stuck with race vehicles and no place to run.
All that said, the turnout was disappointing to say the least. The SCTA determined that an entry of 130 would be needed to break even with expenses. When just 84 stated they would attend if the event went on the SCTA said 'let's do this!". A total of 50 teams actually went through in, 17 cars and 33 motorcycles. The setup was new to everyone and a bit confusing at first but, being resourceful racers we rolled on. The 50 entries had 16  from outside the USA, goal accomplished.
This chart shows the fastest speed of each entry in a SCTA  class, of the 17 registered cars 14 made complete runs. The 33 motorcycles had 32 make complete runs. Top Speed of the meet was R. J. Gottlieb driving the famous Big Red Camaro at 232.9 MPH, and the fastest motorcycle was the Foory Racing 1350-MPS-BG entry at 218.0 MPH. Apparently the MKM Events timing system was used and can only go to one decimal place. The chart shows the entry, class, number of runs and fastest speed for the weekend. There are some question marks in the class column because the entry form was not completely filled out. There were no records at this meet all class speeds are based on the honor system as used by the other mile events held around the country.
ENTRY   CLASS   RUNS   SPEED

Marino Batto   XO/BFR   8   143.2
Ron Hope/H & H Motorsports   B/BGMR   1   67.0
Sloan Zimmerman   G/GMR   6   190.8
Isley Racing   A/GRMR   2   154.4
R. J. Gottlieb/Big Red Camaro   AA/CBFALT   6   232.9
Langlo Racing   A/BGALT   6   196.5
H & H Motorsports   G/BGC   4   179.4
Brent Josephson   B/GC   11   154.7
The California Special   C/GC   7   176.2
Hakan Karlen   C/CGALT   12   174.8
Valkyrie Motorsports   C/GT   8   187.8
David Gomer   C/Prod   6   187.0
LilBit O Racing   D/PP   2   153.4

H & H Motorsports   Time Only   3   123.4
Thomason & Leon   Time Only   3   87.7

MOTORCYCLES         

Bucket 372   100-A-G   8   78.8
Retro Racing Special   100-A-(?)   6   94.9
Jean-Paul Afflick   100-APS-BF   6   102.6
Lingua Bros & Sons   125-APS-(?)   2   66.5
Jahn Brothers Racing   125-P-P   11   100.9
The Baron   350-APS-PBG   5   115.8
Anders Jonsson   350-APS-PF   5   113.5
Fyie Rac-zing   350-M-G   6   129.7
Ivan Rasmussen   350-MPS-PBG   5   79.0
Bonny Fine Custom Mechanics   500-APS-VG   5   92.8
Mike Griffiths   500-SC-(?)   11   109.4
Alp Racing & Design   650-A-PF   4   169.1
Richard Krczal   650-A-PF   8   124.2
Diamond Mob   650-A-PBG   6   115.0
Flying Marshall   650-A-(?)   8   121.7
Wildcat Pncd   750-A-VG   4   115.4
Richard Krczal   750-SC-PF   3   96.3
Evelyne Scholz   1000-A-BG   7   198.8
Ninja H2R Team 38   1000--MPS-BF   12   216.4
MKM Racing   1000-MPS-(?)   5   203.5
Indian Chief 1936 Lucian Hood   1000-P-PP   3   84.6
Gilbert Bailey   1350-A-BG   2   110.4
Terry Prince   1350-A-G   4   145.4
Mad Reaper   1350-APS-G   17   170.8
Destination Huff   1350-APS-PF   7   195.0
Foory Racing   1350-MPS-BG   17   218.0
Viper for Dad   1350-P-P   9   189.8
Salimbeni Racing   1350-P-P   11   131.9
Tom Krause   1650-MPS-(?)   22   209.8
Shooting Star   1650-P-P   12   194.3
Chris Rivas   3000-APS-PBG   5   206.9
Lightning Motors   Omega-APS   6   209.1
Now that this is written I can climb on my soap box. I have advocated for a National Paved Mile record database. The thought is that if the speeds in the SCTA class structure could be compared it may spur increased competition. While the event was going the impound team, Matt Shuss, Tom Evans, Mike Kahney and myself were trying to figure a way to do this. We want the records to be real records in that the vehicle is certified in the same manner we do at Bonneville and El Mirage. This includes body/chassis and engine measurement certification. We decided that the SCTA could put these certified records in the rules and records book only if the other organizations comply with a certification process. It would be up to the teams whether they want a real record or not. More details to follow if/when the SCTA holds any more paved mile events. I and the SCTA members and the racers at the event wish to thank Mike Borders and his MKM Events team for the use of their facility and equipment to hold this event.
In the mean time lets hold onto our hopes that there will be some timed runs on the salt in 2015.
Dan Warner
Record Certification officer

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com
Malcolm UK

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: August 19, 2015, 04:14:46 PM »

Thanks for the information regarding this 'salt replacement' event.

Please do not forget that 'mile' racing does take place in countries other than USA - so the sport is already International. The UK Timing Association (UKTA) operates Standing Mile Speed Trials and Speed Records events.

The UKTA has classes for five classes of Straighliners 'Top Speed' bikes (no capacity limits, no teardown needed); Auto Cycle Union (ACU) bike and cyclecar classes; APBA/'Bonneville' bike classes; car classes; ECTA car classes; jets and rockets and we welcome the challengers from the 36hp & BB VW Challenge.

For records we run the standing mile format in two directions with the average speed of consecutive runs within 60 minutes.

There is a 200+ mph club for those reaching and going beyond that speed and there is the Speed Record Club "UK 200 mph Speed Record Club", with entry for those who have set class or outright two way speed records over 200 mph on UK land or water. [This club is only 16 strong at the moment, with a purple hat for the fastest]. 

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: