Landracing Forum Home
December 17, 2017, 12:44:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
BACK TO LANDRACING.COM HOMEPAGE

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

Live Audio Streaming and Archives of Past Events
Next Live Event: TBD
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SCTA MOJAVE MILE  (Read 48097 times)
vintageracecar

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: August 11, 2015, 01:57:03 PM »

John & All,
Not sure if you have seen our post on the Scta FaceBook page yet. Here it is:

We would like to apologize to our spectators and fellow motorsports fans who drove all the way to our event
and were turned away at the airport gate. During the preparation for this event, we received confirmation
from MKM on several occasions that it was okay to invite spectators to this event. Unbeknown to us, the airport
management may not have been informed of that detail. On Saturday morning, the airport manager informed us
of that fact and asked us to stop admitting spectators into this event. We were able to remove the Spectator
information from our Facebook page immediately, but due to a couple of glitches with our website and time constraints
of running an event, we were never able to change the information on the website. We truly regret if you made the trip
to our event as a spectator and were turned away. We value our spectators, competitors & fans and consider all of you
as our extended Land Speed Racing Family.

I was the one who manned the Airport gate for the entire weekend. Starting Saturday at 5.30 am to the moment the gate
was locked by the airport security. Same on Sunday. You know, I was behind you guys when you left Sunday eve.
If one of your crew member family members was turned away, he did not have the answers, to the questions I was asking him.
I don't believe anybody was turned away if they either were with a team, knew people on a team, knew certain vehicles or else.
They could have called someone on your team, let me know who they were, so I could have confirmed some information.
After the airport had told us to stop admitting spectators, we were put in a very bad position. We could not take the risk of
having the event stopped and getting thrown out by the airport management. The only people who got turned away at the gate,
were spectators, who had never been to one of our events and/or had no way to contact anybody within the event at all.

The Mojave airport I believe is privately owned and therefore they make the rules. I believe most of you guys will agree, that
dealing with airport management and the airport owners should be MUCH easier, then dealing with the BLM and the politicians
sitting in Washington DC.

Regarding the viewing area of the race by crew members etc.. For the small amount of people we had in there it was ok. Everybody
was welcome to bring their chairs and easy ups and set up right where the grid line to Taxiway Alpha was. That location puts you
at about 300 to 350 feet away from racing vehicles going by at about the 3/4 mile mark. There was a Speed Display sign & announcing
system right there. Further more, from that location you were pretty much able to see the entire race track.

Regarding getting the local Police & Sheriff, sure there would be a way to get them involved in the future. But all that needs extensive planing. Extensive Planing and time are exactly, what we did not have this time around. This event was put together in about 10 days, from nothing.

Regarding your statement:
 Sounds like a lot of racers WEASELED out on entering after saying they would, causing SCTA/BNI a loss.

You are absolutely correct about that. The only thing you don't quite got right is... The SCTA/BNI did not loose the money.
We don't have any money. It's all the memberships money. You guys just trust us with managing the membership and entry
fees etc., to put on safe and fun events, without loosing any money. We are non profit.
At this event, not one volunteer gets gas money, room or food reimbursement etc.. Just like an El Mirage event.
We still have quite a few SCTA Mojave Mile Participant T-Shirts we are trying to sell on our Ebay store to offset the event cost.
Some of us on the board who were behind putting this event together, are going to eat a lot of crap for not having a solid budget
and breaking even, during the next board meeting.
I know you John, and most everybody else who got to race or experience this unbelievable event, had a good time. To make it fair
on the rest of the membership, who did not get to experience it, if any of you guys want to help out and offset the event cost a bit
more, I am sure JoAnn at the office would love to hear from you guys & gals. (559) 528-6279 or office@scta-bni.org  .

Everybody who as you had called it "WEASELED OUT"  should maybe considering doing that as well. What do you think our chance
of another Scta Mojave Mile event is, if we lost money on this one ? Apparently not enough competitors are interested in this event,
they will say.

As mentioned several pages before, Jon aka SSS will get some Scta Mojave Mile Participant event shirts to raffle off on LR.com,
to offset his travel expenses a bit more.
But if you folks would like to get a few of them awesome shirts, we got them for sale on the Scta Ebay store until sold out. (link is
on website)

Mike 
jl222

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: August 11, 2015, 03:45:48 PM »

Mike.. I looked up Mojave Airport

Ownership ---Publicly owned

Owner---  East Kern Airport District

Manager--- Stu Witt
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 03:48:54 PM by jl222 » Logged
fredvance

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: August 11, 2015, 04:10:48 PM »

Well I am not one who weasled out. I wish I had come but I had just got back from Loring. I am not fond of one mile events. Mojave is a great venue, I have been there several times. I hope SCTA does another event there and does both mile and 1.5mi. timing. The 1.5 mi is a lot more fun.

WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing
astek

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: August 11, 2015, 04:23:43 PM »

Hey vintageracecar, thanks for your and all SCTA volunteers hard work organizing this event within such a short time.
Alp

fredvance

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: August 11, 2015, 04:42:24 PM »

I dont usually buy t-shirts for events that I dont attend. I bought one to help with the SCTA$

WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing
SPARKY
Global Moderator

« Reply #140 on: August 11, 2015, 05:10:08 PM »

I bought a bunch of last years Speed  Week  T's and this years program

Miss LIBERTY,  changing TKI  to noise, dust and RUST!!!

The # 1 issue is: TO KEEP THE REPUBLIC      
   Center for Self Governance            tncsg.org     mrspowell.org

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller
Stan Back

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: August 11, 2015, 06:04:40 PM »

I didn't "vote".

I just looked it up and couldn't find the ballot.

As I remember (not too well any more), it asked, more or less, who was interested.  I was interested.  I didn't vote (oh, I've said that).  I had no intention of going, but I was interested.

I know time was of the essence, but counting on who was "interested" or "would consider" without asking for their money in advance gives, to me, a predicted amount of no-shows.

When you charge 4 or 5 times more than El Mirage to run at a new venue that requires, at least for car owners, a different and foreign) set-up without a chance of setting a record they may have been pursuing, I thought the results were predictable.

Hopefully, after three non-events and a looser, SCTA will stick to its home ground -- however endangered it may be.

Stan Back

Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters – California's most-exclusive roadster club.
Celebrating 65th anniversary of racing on the salt.
1leg

1993 Chevy C/MP

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: August 11, 2015, 09:23:23 PM »

I agree that the short amount of time to prepare for this event is likely the reason most of the cars didn't show. I still feel that SCTA should pursue this venue as a 3rd place to race. It very well could be the only west coast LSR place to race in the the very near future. If they could work out the bugs and run 2-3 events a year (hopefully in the cooler months) they will be prepared if we lose the other venues. No reason the SCTA should die when the “dry” lakes become unavailable.

Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17
Seldom Seen Slim
Administrator

Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!

« Reply #143 on: August 12, 2015, 10:42:40 AM »

Okey-dokey, girls and boys -- here's the beginning of a new donation pitch for the website.

As you probably know, I went to the SCTA Mojave Mile last weekend to stream the audio oon our site - and also on the SCTA site and FB page.  There was a good deal of $$ spent to complete the trip, and I was offered some SCTA swag to use to solicit donations - to pay as much as possible of the trip.  Therefore -

I've got about 10 SCTA Mojave Mile t-shirts for you.  I can get you any size you want (SCTA will ship the chosen sizes to me) so don't let your "unusual" size request stop you from wanting one.  I'll post a photo of the shirt when I get home tonight.  As a hint, they're pretty much like the '15 SpeedWeek poster but embellished a bit to make 'em into MM shirts.  They all are "Participant" shirts -- and ain't gonna be available after the SCTA runs out of 'em.  The basic MM shirts will be -- but not the participant shirts.

They are available to you for a minimum $55 donation to landracing.com  , and that'll include shipping to the US. You foreigners will be privileged to pay the cost to get 'em to you (although I'll "pay" the same amount as it'd cost to ship 'em in the US).

A couple of youse guys have already made donations that are large enough to qualify you for a shirt, so if you want one - let me know.  I appreciate each and every donation to the site - no matter what size.

Please help me recoup the cost of the trip and simultaneously get you a shirt that is a one-off.  Come on -- you really NEED another shirt in your collection, don't you?

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com
Stan Back

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: August 12, 2015, 10:48:21 AM »

I believe cars are more expensive than bikes to "convert" to pavement.  Double the price, at least on tires, plus the cost of wheels, too.  It's more expensive to change gears than it is change sprockets, too, I believe.

That's why, maybe, that there were 35 bikes and only 15 cars.  And they needed the commitment of about 30 volunteers for 2 or 3 days in order to lose high 4-figure or low 5-figure dollars.  All at 4 or 5 times the entry price of El Mirage.

Doesn't sound sustainable or desirable to me.  

Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters – California's most-exclusive roadster club.
Celebrating 65th anniversary of racing on the salt.
jl222

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: August 12, 2015, 12:23:05 PM »

I believe cars are more expensive than bikes to "convert" to pavement.  Double the price, at least on tires, plus the cost of wheels, too.  It's more expensive to change gears than it is change sprockets, too, I believe.

That's why, maybe, that there were 35 bikes and only 15 cars.  And they needed the commitment of about 30 volunteers for 2 or 3 days in order to lose high 4-figure or low 5-figure dollars.  All at 4 or 5 times the entry price of El Mirage.

Doesn't sound sustainable or desirable to me.  

Stan...Do you think your Bville tires would have less traction on asphalt than salt or dirt?
  We ran with no changes to the 222 car.

Not sure how much was donated by entrants and spectators but the loss might not be as bad as rumored.

A few changes in airport rules and regulations would help the attendance and economy of Mojave greatly.

Pitting along return on right towards start line with pit pass like Bville,  spectator parking were pits are now, and spectator
viewing limited to an area to left and right of the return road with pit passes required for spectators to walk the pits.
  Sheriif or police or course walkers for enforcement.

We liked it overall but a few changes allowed by the East kern Airport District could make this a great race track
  And some entertainment for Mojave residences.

JL222
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 12:25:36 PM by jl222 » Logged
Seldom Seen Slim
Administrator

Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!

« Reply #146 on: August 12, 2015, 05:48:28 PM »

I asked Nancy to snap a couple of photos of the new SCTA/Mojave Mile t-shirt.  Unfortunately I'm in the shirt, but what the hey -- you still can see the shirt.

$55 includes shipping.  Give me an address and size preference.  Thanks.

* P1040006.jpg (178.52 KB, 480x640 - viewed 156 times.)

* P1040007.jpg (179.93 KB, 480x640 - viewed 150 times.)

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com
donpearsall

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: August 12, 2015, 06:07:16 PM »

Bought one! I want the shirt, even if I only participated vicariously. Keep up the great work on this site, Jon.

Don

550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer
jl222

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2015, 10:47:12 AM »

Results on SCTA home pg but Sunday the same as Sat.

No time for us on 3rd run but data log indicated 227mph which would have been top time of day.

I wonder how that happened.

JL222
dw230

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2015, 11:40:42 AM »

The Mojave timing crew pulled the plug on the lights. Not SCTA timing.

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: