Author Topic: Belly Tank Build Diary  (Read 361825 times)

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
Re: Belly Tank Build Diary
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 04:13:24 PM »
Super work.

Really like the frame material. Keep a picture of the cut frame section in a binder with your logbook. That way if you’re asked about material thickness where the cage is welded, you have a picture for reference.

SP
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 04:19:56 PM »
Smooth LSR tires won't work on blacktop or concrete, they don't have enough rubber on them & won't take the heat.
  Sid.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 06:46:13 PM »
Mike, are you going "inside" or will your head be sticking out?  Wayno

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 06:54:37 PM »
The cockpit is designed for a sit up position.  My head will be just high enough out of the body for safe forward vision.  I am running the dual mass dual disk LSA clutch.  (photo attached) The clutch release is from Tilton.  I have used these with great success. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 07:08:19 PM »
I have certifications for all of the material that I am purchasing for the build.  I have attached a photo of the beginning of the roll cage (excuse the poor quality of the photo).  The cage components were purchased from SW Race Cars.  Woody stopped by this evening to offer his advice.  Woody is a wealth of knowledge. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2015, 07:13:44 PM »
Attached is a photo of the frame in process.  I find it much easier to TIG weld when the frame can be positioned so I don't have to stand on my head.  I use a small overhead hoist on a monorail in my shop.  The monorail has pivot on the wall side so I can swing it from side to side. 

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 12:38:16 AM »
I like the frame. It appears to use the [limited] space to best advantage.
A sprung front axle needn't be terrible aerodynamically. My lakester has cross-over linkage and coil-over shocks inside the body, leaving just the radius rods out "in the air". [The worst aero part of my front end are the good-sized disc brakes; I'm considering ditching them, then I could run inboard wheel discs.]
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2015, 12:25:03 PM »
I will not be running front brakes.  I machined the brake rotor portion off of the hubs to have less hanging out in the air stream. 

Offline tauruck

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2015, 10:52:21 PM »
Great job Mike. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 07:32:54 AM »
I ordered rims yesterday.  I plan to run Moon discs and wanted to weld tabs for Dzus fasteners to the rims as well as fully welding the centers.  These rims come standard with a powder coat finish.  I prefer to not weld powder coated steel.  Most powder coating shops can burn the powder coating off for a fee.  I contacted Cragar and they were able to supply their "69" series rims with a bare finish.  They also make this rim in a 4-1/2" width for Goodyear Land Speed Tires.  The rims cost less than $60/ea from Jegs. 

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 07:53:13 AM »
Its just me but I reckon salt and powder coating don't mix.

Use alkyd resin, it's repairable, adheres better and doesn't hide corrosion creep.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2015, 08:56:56 AM »
Rustoleum rattle can primer--- my frame paint of choice---- but then I have been accused of building UGLY CARS   :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2015, 09:44:35 AM »
I totally believe in rust paint as opposed to powdercoat. I use powdercoating in a lot of the projects I build where they'll never be reworked but race cars don't fall in that category. As a weldor I find two part paints and powdercoating to be much more difficult to repair and then the recoating is much more difficult and expensive and the repair/modification shows up more.

Pete

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2015, 10:42:43 AM »
I also like the Rust-O-Leum product line.  Their rusty metal primer has great adhesion.  I have also been accused of building "ugly" cars.  My daughter told me no more flat black projects so I have switched to semi-gloss!

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2015, 09:27:34 AM »
The roll cage is coming along.  I am pleased with the LSA engine package.  With supercharger and intercooler the entire package will fit in the body without the need for any alteration.