Author Topic: Belly Tank Build Diary  (Read 361819 times)

Offline Mike Brown

Belly Tank Build Diary
« on: April 07, 2015, 02:57:52 PM »
Hello All,

I have started a belly tank lakester.  I plan to run the car at the ECTA track in Wilmington Ohio which is close by.  The project started with a P-38 body from Class Glass Performance.  I fabricated a perimeter frame from 2"x3"x1/4" steel tubing (photo attached).  The drive train consists of a LSA crate engine, "shorty" four speed transmission from Jerico and a Winters Xtremeliner quick change rear end. 

Mike Brown

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Belly Tank Build Diary
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 03:08:26 PM »
Mike welcome to the forum. Please add the city/state you live in so a local may be able to help you. You are on the riiight  track with the build. Keep a photo diary during the build so we can give you any help. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 03:33:29 PM »
Mike, looks like you've got a good start there. You'll be glad you got the chassis out close to the body.  Tanks have a habit of running out of room very quickly. Wayno

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 04:25:49 PM »
Mike,
Looking forward to watching your build. My question is: Are you going to more or less copy ever other P38 tank build (the "classic" build)  with lots of axles and radius rods, steering rods, shock adsorbers, spindles, headers etc all hanging out in the wind or are you planning to try to integrate these into some sort of aerodynamic apendage that will provide the mimimum amount of aero drag? If you go with the "classic" build you are then almost completely dependent on having the "best" engine to be able to go fast. If you go with the "aero" approach then you have a leg up on the majority of the other cars. Aero is pretty much a free speed "enhancer" and the reduction of frontal area x coefficient of drag is equal to a proportional amount of horse power increase, i.e. 25% less drag is equal to  25% more horse power.

One other thing about the P38 tank, I know that the center line flange is sure a nice way to make the body removable but it is pretty ugly when it comes to being "aero". Again, looking forward to your build.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 04:55:18 PM »

One other thing about the P38 tank, I know that the center line flange is sure a nice way to make the body removable but it is pretty ugly when it comes to being "aero".

Wayno, are you going to take that lying down?

Oh, yeah, it's the only way you can fit in your tank . . .  :wink:

Mike, best of luck with your build.

And Elmo Rodge is correct - packaging is always the headache on tanks.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 05:33:23 PM »
Mike welcome to the forum. Please add the city/state you live in so a local may be able to help you. You are on the riiight  track with the build. Keep a photo diary during the build so we can give you any help. :cheers:
Too late Glen! I already know he is 15 minutes from my house!  :-D :-D He can't escape! :-D
I told Mike you can never take too many pictures or ask too many questions for this bunch! Mike has built some other neat stuff so this should be a clean little machine!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 06:01:23 PM »
I never said packaging was a headache. It is merely an interesting design exersize.  :wink: Wayno

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 06:10:14 PM »
Woody, you know we can't wait to pick on him, Elmo will keep him honest. :evil:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 07:45:28 PM »
And yet - Mike didn't take the hint so I filled it (location) in for him.  You're welcome. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 08:21:49 PM »
Nice start.
Keep posting pics and don't get ruffled over unsolicited suggestions. They’re offered up to help and not intended to offend. :-D

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline tauruck

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 09:27:30 PM »
Mike, I'm subscribed. Wish you all the best.
Living 15 minutes from Woody is a great start. :-D :cheers:

Regards, Mike.

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 07:30:27 AM »
I was unable to find anyone to bend the rectangular tubing.  I built the perimeter frame in sections mitering each joint on a milling machine with a home made sine table for accuracy.  Each end was then chamfered at 45 degrees 1/8" deep for welding. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 07:38:49 AM »
Rex,

I am going for an aerodynamic build.  I chose the supercharged (565hp) LSA engine mainly for its compact size.  It fits inside the body without any changes.  I think that it will be easier to build an aerodynamic build by mounting the front axle rigid eliminating all the suspension parts. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 08:34:20 AM »
I attached a photo of the "shorty" transmission that Jerico built for me.  A tail shaft was just going to make the car longer and the drive shaft shorter. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 03:24:23 PM »
This is gear ratio chart showing the speed in each gear at the factory redline of the engine using 28" tall land speed tires and current gear ratios assuming no wheel slip.