Author Topic: Belly Tank Build Diary  (Read 361882 times)

Offline Mike Brown

Re: Belly Tank Build Diary
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2015, 08:58:57 PM »
I finished up the bracket for the top suspension links on the rear end.  Not wanting to purchase a left hand thread boring bar I purchased a 3/4-16 left hand tap from Jegs.  It was the Allstar Performance brand.  I had to return it.  Even using the tailstock of the lathe to help push the tap and hold it straight it would not cut at all.  I purchased a tap from McMaster Carr and it worked perfectly. 

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2015, 12:40:14 AM »
McMaster and Carr!! If they don't have it you don't need it and if they do it is quality (none of that Chinese $hit!) and I get 2 day delivery from their warehouse in LA.

Love em!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2015, 06:45:49 PM »
A photo of the rear suspension.  This Hotchiss style link suspension does not need a panhard rod due to the triangulation of the links.  In my limited testing there is no binding with an inch of movement up and down.  I think I will use this suspension design for the front also. 

Offline John Burk

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2015, 07:59:09 PM »
Mike
With satchell linkage the roll center is at the level of the angled links . When they're all angled like yours it has 2 roll centers so the rear suspension is ridged  in the roll axis . Making either the upper or lower links parallel would fix that .

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2015, 01:02:41 AM »
... the rear suspension is ridged [sic]  in the roll axis...
Assuming you meant 'rigid': I'm not seeing that. It looks to me that if the rears of the two top bars were moved to be together, there would be zero binding under any situation. And with them as close as they are, and with reasonably-limited suspension movement, there appears to be effectively no binding.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline John Burk

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2015, 11:11:29 AM »
Jack
With satchell linkage with the uppers angled the lowers must parallelogram for one wheel to lift . If all are angled none can parallelogram . The suspension can still go up and down but one wheel can't lift independent of the frame . The biggest problem is the stress it puts on the linkage and the twisting force where the axle tubes where they go into the side bells of the QC .

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2015, 11:36:04 AM »
red neck solution  solid  :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2015, 10:29:55 PM »
Mike it was great talking with you at Wilmington. I enjoy seeing your design work and the way you machined the parts. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished car at Wilmington in the future.
 Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2015, 08:43:30 PM »
I have decided to use rubber as the suspension element.  The folks at Timbren have been very helpful.  Note the difference in compression and rebound on the deflection chart.  The rubber has a definite integral damping affect.

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2015, 08:55:28 PM »
I had some initial difficulties ordering a steering rack from Unisteer.  The original applications engineer thought the application was "dangerous" and was not all cooperative.  I finally contacted Brandon Kirby 800-338-9080 ext. 249 at Unisteer and was able to make it happen.  They still build a 1.2" per revolution steering rack which is the slowest that I could find.  They have a order form on their website for custom racks.  Fill in the dimensions and send it in.  They can quickly tell you if they are able to build it or if changes are required.  My rack will come complete with 5/8" rod ends for the 1/2" steel steering arms that I am using on the steering knuckles.  I am looking forward to getting the rack on July 20th. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2015, 09:02:36 PM »
The chassis is now a roller.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2015, 01:12:50 AM »
I have decided to use rubber as the suspension element.  The folks at Timbren have been very helpful.  Note the difference in compression and rebound on the deflection chart.  The rubber has a definite integral damping affect.

Mike;

That's called "hysteresis"-- the rubber does absorb energy-- that's why it gets hot.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2015, 08:11:23 PM »
I installed rubber springs made by Timbren in Canada.  They are very compact and have worked out well.  Timbren makes the rubber springs in a variety of shapes sizes and durometer.  The upper brackets were machined from 1" thick steel plate.  The upper mounts are threaded 3/4-16 with alloy threaded rod made into adjuster screws.  There is also a an aluminum adjuster that pilots inside the 1-1/4" hole in the rubber spring.  The lower mounts are 1/4" steel disks welded to 1-5/8" OD tubes coped to match each axle.  There is a 1/2-13 stud welded to each lower mount which allows the spring to be secured without squeezing it.  There is a spacer and steel washer inside each spring. 

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2015, 01:24:57 AM »
Looks good. Do the springs have sufficient damping that separate shock absorbers are not needed?

Oops! I now see the rear shocks.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2015, 02:06:05 PM »
Jack,

Per the rule book shock absorbers are required however just jumping on the frame it is amazing how much dampening there is in the rubber springs.  The compression rate is highly progressive and with the dampening in the rubber springs I don't think that I will need to run sway bars.  I attached a photo of the individual spring components.