Author Topic: Belly Tank Build Diary  (Read 361818 times)

Offline Mike Brown

Re: Belly Tank Build Diary
« Reply #195 on: September 24, 2016, 01:12:41 PM »
A view of the interior with the new cockpit lining material inside the tubing.  Thanks to Nathan for catching this before I head to the ECTA event this coming weekend.  The lining material is 1/8" 5052 aluminum. 

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #196 on: September 24, 2016, 04:28:08 PM »
Hi Mike
   Are you planing on running the car this coming weekend?
        Ron
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #197 on: September 24, 2016, 04:53:45 PM »
I am registered and plan on attending the September ECTA event. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #198 on: October 03, 2016, 07:25:38 PM »
I was able to make a shake down run at the Ohio Mile.  Getting the car through tech was challenging.  The SFI 45.1 roll cage padding is some stiff difficult to work with material when the roll cage is tight.  I could see no way to add SFI 45.2 padding to the seat for a head rest.  The ECTA tech inspectors were helpful.  It was determined that the back of my cage was close enough to my helmet to serve as a headrest if it was covered in the SFI 45.1 roll bar padding.  So I cut the head rest from the seat and made it work.  I saved the rolled edge extrusion from the section that I cut off and will weld it on to the raw edge of the seat. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #199 on: October 03, 2016, 07:28:39 PM »
I coped holes in the roll bar padding with a hole saw for the 1" cross tubes in the roll cage.  I broke one section of tubing bending it to conform to the roll cage tubing.  It was tedious work bending the padding to fit so that it could be secured with wire ties. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #200 on: October 03, 2016, 07:33:40 PM »
I knew that using a total loss electrical system would require a 16 volt battery and a matching charger but I ran out of time and used an AGM 12 volt battery.  Don Gilmore and his team were a great help charging the battery with their generator and charger while we waited in line.  Never the less with the load of a 30 amp fuel pump, 12 amp water pump, 8 amp engine control unit when the intercooler pump kicked in under boost the voltage dropped to a point that the ECU did not like.  I plan to move the electric water pump to the rear of the engine and add a mini alternator. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #201 on: October 03, 2016, 07:44:14 PM »
Per predictions of a few on the forum it was a challenge passing the "bail out" test.  The biggest issue I had was the new cockpit liner made from slick aluminum.  I had practiced many times with my gear on but was shocked by how 1-3/4" of additional height which restricted how far I could pull my feet back messed with my muscle memory and the ergonomics of a quick exit.  The new roll bar padding also forced me to lean forward with a slightly lower helmet position.  I had a great friend that races with the Porsche Club give me some help figuring this all out.  We added non slip strips intended for stair treads to the floor of the car and other slight changes to the belt adjustment and hand grip areas until I was able to quickly exit the car.  I can only say practice, practice, practice with all your gear on every time you make a change to the cockpit regardless if you think that it will make a difference or not.  I have got great advice on this forum. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #202 on: October 03, 2016, 07:50:24 PM »
The line at the Ohio Mile ready to leave for my first pass ever. 

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: October 03, 2016, 08:10:55 PM »
So Mike me boy---did you get a big ole   :-D going down the track?????????????  Inquiring minds need to know
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline awelker

• www.vonwelker.com
« Reply #204 on: October 04, 2016, 08:06:08 AM »
Mike,

I'm glad you got to make a run.  Now the fun begins as you make the list of the upgrades you want to do. Congrats.

Andy

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #205 on: October 04, 2016, 07:16:39 PM »
It was a great experience running the car for the first time.  I did have smile on my face the entire way.  It will be a challenge for the ECTA to find a new venue as this was the last race at Wilmington Ohio.  The plans are for some additional testing at a drag strip before heading to the next event where ever that may take us.  Many thanks to everyone that helped this weekend including Don Gilmore and his entire crew that showed us how to pack the tube chute and charged the battery with their generator while we waited in line. 

Offline oj

« Reply #206 on: November 05, 2016, 06:21:47 PM »
This has been a great thread, I just read the entire thing and its is very informative.  I enjoyed the craftsmanship, thats the fun of it really.  I am starting the design of a tank myself, is there anything you wish you'd done different? 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #207 on: November 27, 2016, 06:13:39 PM »
OJ,

I wished that I would have insured that the seam on the fiberglass tank was matched better before I spent hours building the perimeter frame inside it.  When it came time to put the top front section on it did not fit.  I ended up cutting the body section and adding a nasty splice to make it fit.  It will take more work to make this look good than it would have taken to insure that the fit was correct the first time.  This was my first special construction project also.  Check out all the recommendations that you get on this site, there are a lot of racers that have been there done that.  Post pictures, it is amazing the things racers can spot in a photo. 

I wish the best with your project. 

Mike Brown 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #208 on: November 27, 2016, 06:27:47 PM »
I am in the process of adding the alternator.  I have used the really small 65 amp alternators on other projects and they worked well.  I buy all of my pulleys and belts from B&B Manufacturing in Indiana.  They have the best center distance calculator that I have ever used.  The calculations are to three decimal places and have always been spot on.  The calculator lets you select the pitch and width of the drive.  You can enter the desired center distance and it comes back with the closest combination that is longer.  You can change pulley sizes by a tooth and recalculate.  I do this with different pitch drive systems until I get the center distance that I need.  I prefer to build systems that fit without the need for idler pulleys or large slots.  As it has been said on this website belly tank construction is all about packaging.  They also let you purchase online with a credit card.  Great people, great service. 

I ended up with L pitch (trapezoid style teeth) drive in 1/2" width.  The belt length is 244 with 19 and 32 tooth pulleys.  The alternator is driven from the upper supercharger pulley.  The supercharger is overdriven 2.6:1 for a maximum rpm of 16,600.  I wanted to slow the alternator down some so these pulleys give me a .59375:1 ratio for under 10,000 rpm on the alternator.  I purchased pulleys with 1/2" bores since I would be machining them to fit. 

Attached is a photo of the pulleys and belt. 

Offline Mike Brown

« Reply #209 on: November 27, 2016, 06:30:45 PM »
I machined the large pulley to fit on the alternator.  I machined the pulley to match the original "V" belt pulley that I removed from the alternator.  Attached is a photo of the machined pulley on the alternator.