Author Topic: C4 Corvette AA/GMS Build  (Read 21736 times)

Offline Jesse9938

• New folks
Re: C4 Corvette AA/GMS Build
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2014, 10:09:12 PM »

Offline Jesse9938

• New folks
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2014, 10:09:51 PM »

Offline Jesse9938

• New folks
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2014, 10:11:57 PM »

Offline Jesse9938

• New folks
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2014, 10:12:29 PM »

Offline Jesse9938

• New folks
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2014, 10:22:55 PM »
Hi All,

Need some advice on transmission selection!  I have about $4000 to spend and I want to switch to a manual that will stand up behind a 1000-1100 hp BBC.  Rear gear ratios are 2.59 and up and the engine starts to roll over at 6700, hoping for 210-220 mph...in my dreams right.  Am I out of luck and need to save my pennies or what?  All help and advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jesse

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2014, 11:57:22 PM »
For about half that budget you should look at a used (Nascar) Jerico or G-Force trans. They have lots of different ratios & can even be worked into an overdrive if needed. Do some Googleing.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2014, 06:13:19 AM »
Summer & Hooley. Like their G force choice but talk to Summer the initial choice of cluster really affects your later choices
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2014, 09:53:30 AM »
Summer & Hooley. Like their G force choice but talk to Summer the initial choice of cluster really affects your later choices

Yep really like the G-Force 101-A in the Stude and I bought one for the lakester if it ever runs.  You still might find some in the $2000 range but I couldn't.  A couple years ago I found some in the $1500 range but the drag guys have found them and driven the price.  If you look at the used ones be careful as there are different generations of these and you want some of the last ones as they can handle more power than the earlier ones (need one with the 'full cuff' between the main and jackshaft).

I haven't checked lately but G-Force was selling about one transmission a month on ebay under an individual's name (he is an officer in the company).  I think I got mine bidding about the second time I tried for a little over $3000.  The nice thing about this is the transmission is suppose to be reconditioned but looks new and I think it might all be new from the looks of all the parts and you get to pick your gear ratios in that price so you aren't stuck with the ones in a used transmission and then have to go hunting and paying for gear sets, but the sets are out there and for about $100 or less you can pick up either the drive gear sets or 1st, 2nd and 3rd sets and as Mike mentioned 3rd can be an overdrive (what we run in the Stude)  tons of ratios but you need to understand the gear charts and the options between the drive gears and the other gears.  Get one where 1st gear isn't integral to the jackshaft and you even have more flexibility.

If you get the transmission from G-force (north) you also have a choice of shifter in the price, either an H-Pattern or a Vertical gate you just row back and forth which is what I got for the lakester and which is what we wished we had in the Stude.  If you don't want to mess with the ebay thing the last time I looked you could get the transmission outright by just ordering it for around $4000.  I believe they rate the the 4 speed for 1000 HP on pavement (much higher on the salt) and the 5 speed I think up to about 1500 on pavement.  If I would of had the money I would of gone the 5 speed, not for the power, but the extra ratio.  You can get the transmission in either clutch-assist or clutchless.  Personally I wouldn't get the clutchless as it is designed more for the drag guys and as understand is made to more or less pop out of gear when the power goes off during the shift for a faster shift.  Since you are getting in and out of the throttle on the salt you don't want it coming out of gear (talk to them).  We have the clutch assist but a couple years we had throwout bearing problems and I would push the car up to speed and Hooley would pull it into 1st take off and make the shifts no clutch and pop it into neutral at the 5 and it will do that over and over with no problem so even though they say clutch assist you don't need it on the shifts.

Once the transmission is out of the car you could change gear sets in 45 minutes or less.  With the Stude it is a pain to get the transmission out so we change before going but could change there.  I'm setting the transmission in the lakester to come out very quickly and I have one gear set that I'll try using on the short course to maximize getting over 175 by the 2 1/4 on the short course.  If that happens then I'll switch to an overdrive 3rd for the long course.

I have a lot more info on these that if some one needs PM me and you could call.  Also I would not buy the Tex 101 as it is the earlier model and won't take as much HP.  G-Force bought up Tex and then continued development with the transmission,

Sumner
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:57:39 AM by Sumner »

Offline Jesse9938

• New folks
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2014, 01:44:32 PM »
Dynaroom, Sparky and Summer,

Thank you all for the advice and help!  I really appreciate it!  I had G-Force north send me a CD with all their information, but I was still having a hard time knowing what might be the right way to go.  I will be in touch once I get closer to the purchase as the Wife is saying Christmas comes first...LOL!  Thanks again and any and all other advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Jesse

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2014, 01:50:22 PM »
Jesse, you are one lucky dude - having a wife that's encouraging you to let her buy you a tranny for Christmas.  That's really sweet to hear. :cheers: :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Jesse9938

• New folks
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2014, 02:10:42 PM »

Seldom,  I agree, she is so good to me... :cheers:

Offline toclub

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2014, 11:18:09 PM »
We run a 4 speed Jerico dr4. There is one for sale right now on racingjunk.com for $1999.00 with some good ratios for your combination. 2.18,1.68,1.28 and 1 to 1. You can always change the ratios latter by changing the main drive gears.  We have never had a problem with our gearbox and have run 274 in gt/ms.