Author Topic: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge  (Read 171361 times)

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Re: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2014, 09:02:53 PM »
Glad George is ok.

Looks like the car held up well.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Kartman

• New folks
Re: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2014, 10:23:59 PM »
I wish I could be more optimistic but I do not believe we will see the Speed Demon on the salt again this year.

Tom

Offline desotoman

« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2014, 10:50:28 PM »

George Poteet has a compressed disc and is resting comfortably at the hospital in SLC.  He is doing well enough that he apologised for farkling up the meet (my words).  He hopes to be back out here tomorrow to look at the car to see if he and the crew can get it back together in time for World Finals. 

Message for George Poteet.

George,

Glad to hear you are going to be OK and sorry to hear about your accident. Cars can be replaced individuals cannot. With that said PLEASE take your time putting the car back together. Don't let anyone push you to get the car done for World Finals or the Rain Date for the shootout. It is your BUTT in the car and not theirs, and you don't need any mistakes made on the car because of a rushed time table, as I am sure there are members on your team that will say we can do it. You can always come back stronger next year.

For what it is worth, JMO,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

velocity

« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2014, 10:55:38 PM »
Virtutis fortuna comes
or
Good luck is the companion of courage

Never doubt the power of Poteet. He achieves more by saying less than anyone I know.

If it were up to him to want the Demon to run again in 2014, I am quite sure we'll see it. However, that compression fracture has dominion over anything George or the crew could ever hope or want to do.

Metaphorically speaking:  you can hurry the painter but you can't hurry the paint.

It is a great relief to me, and I am sure many others, that Speed Demon took care of George when he needed looking after the most. . .

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 11:26:51 PM by velocity »

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2014, 11:04:33 PM »
When I got to the pits after shutting down stuff at the tower this afternoon the Speed Demon was put away in the trailer, so I didn't have the opportunity to see it at all.  I do know that Mike Cook asked me if I'd already shut down the audio streaming -- and when I said "yes" he asked if I'd get it running in the morning so Ron Main can talk for a while about the incident.  Bill Guzenski might just interview him and give me the file to stream (easier to do than having Ron sit in the car with me to talk), but either way -- I hope we'll have him on the air to tell us some stuff.  I know that George is probably going to be back from the hospital in SLC tomorrow (Saturday, that is) and plans to be out on the salt some more.  Then he'll be seeing the car and he and his crew will decide how much can be done and how soon.

I talked with Mike Akatiff and Rocky and Jim True and Eva and others, too.  Let's see -- Eva's bike runs about 400-600 amps at 375 volts as she went down the track, she reported.  There's maybe 10% more that she's willing to push for more power.  She and Bill likened the situation as "walking toward a cliff".  They know the bike and systems are fine right now, and that if they push too hard -- the bike will fall off that cliff and be hurt.  Better to achieve a goal (today's 250+ run was one of those) and then maybe explore what's still in the bike.

Akatiff and Rocky and a few others in the crew took a leisurely mosey down the track looking for interesting stuff -- like possible divots from the Speed Demon crash (none, much to Mike's surprise, although there were some black marks from tires) and pot holes and so on.  Jim True was so deep in thought that he was in his own world.  I didn't want to break his concentration so I've got nothing to report from him.

Cook and crew were cleaning up the stuff like signs that have to be taken down for overnight - so they don't blow away in case there's a wind storm, but he did state again that start time tomorrow morning is 9AM.  I asked about why he says it's going to be one time and it so often is later and he said that it's the racers that are tardy and he had come up with a fix:  He'd ask each team to give him $100 at the end of the day, and if they were on time he'd give it back.  But if they were late and stuff started late -- that money would pay for fire and ambulance for the hour or so that the racers held up stuff.  Will he do it?  Who knoze, but it's a good story. . .

Two photos for you before I quit.  Here's a nice shot from the start line - and a picture that raises questions.  G'night.  I'll check back in in the Ayem.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Kix

• 1997 GMC Saltnoma
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2014, 11:54:12 PM »
Jon, nice talking with you today.  Thanks so much for the effort you put into keeping this clan of weirdos connected to all the cool stuff!  You are an unsung hero and we all appreciate it!

Kix
MODIFIED MID-PICKUP #4442

Bonneville Record:     219.35 mph
Maxton Mile Record:   193.14 mph
Ohio Mile Record:       192.80 mph

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2014, 01:22:13 AM »
Glad George is OK..... Page 2 all wheel drive Camaro? Gotta think about that.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2014, 01:28:38 AM »
Glad George is OK..... Page 2 all wheel drive Camaro? Gotta think about that.

The Nissan GTR is all wheel drive.  The Camaro is not so lucky.  Only two wheel drive.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2014, 08:34:06 AM »
Good morning Jon. Guess i will miss the interview with Ron. I have an early morning flathead run this morning. Got to take the roadster out before the heat wave. Just a thought. Maybe have Bill do the interview in the blue room in your second picture.  :-D. Glad George is ok and hope he takes his time on his decisions about the car.  :?

Offline ZRD

• New folks
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2014, 09:28:59 AM »
It looks like George did set a record on his run. The fastest car crash ever survived up until yesterday was Donald Campbell in Bluebird in 1960. He went down at 360 mph. If George's data logger said 370mph, then he just set the one record i'm sure he hoped to never break.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-12000/fastest-car-crash-survived/

Offline Texican

« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2014, 11:21:06 AM »

Jon,
Are you streaming?

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2014, 11:23:26 AM »
Nope -- not on the air yet - 'cause there's nothing going on yet.  I'm just now setting up the internet and will turn on the streaming so you can hear what's happening.  I think Big Red will run first.  I'll get the streaming up now.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2014, 11:36:43 AM »
Slims Radio says Singing with the Birds.  FUNNY
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: September 13, 2014, 11:42:30 AM »
Thanks, R2.  That implies to me that the streaming is working.  To the rest of you -- there's audio again today.  I'm told that we'll have a handful of interviews of various folks form down in the pits, and we'll have the regular activities of the event, too.  And I'll even try t entertain you with the subtle nuances of my typing on the keyboards, too.

I think maybe once this is all over I'll take a listen on the archived material and see what the typing sounds like. :evil:

Hang in there -- the event is supposed to have started 40 minutes ago.  It'll get going soon. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline joea

« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2014, 11:44:56 AM »
zrd... Arfons flipped at an indicated airspeed of 610 mph exiting the mile after averaging 586 mph through the mile and 589 mph through the kilo....

from Harvey Shapiro:   ""He was clocked in 585.366 for the mile, 589.366 in the kilo which indicated the car was still accelerating as it left the timing traps. Shortly after streaking past the final timing lights, the car veered to the left of the black guide line. Arfons turned the steering wheel hard right, trying to get back on course . The Monster pitched violently on it's right side, then hit nose first.

The car became airborne atleast twice and skidded for long distances on it's right side, finally settled on it's belly, almost one mile past the traps, some 100 yards off course. ""