Author Topic: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge  (Read 171359 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2014, 01:57:34 PM »
Still nothing is going on.  I know they're out picking up pieces and measuring the area where the car had the "adventure"* -- but I don't have any information on what that means.

*  Adventure is my word, not one that has been used by anyone else.  I just use it to let you know that something happened. 

If you see anything on the FB site you're welcome to post it here, assuming it comes from the Cook FB page.  I can't/won't release anything that I hear until I have permission from Cook - what they put on their site/page is, we assume, approved for release.

Eva Hakkanson was set to run after the Speed Demon, so I'll guess that she's gone back to her pit to wait out this pause.  I don't know if Akatiff is here yet, and as I said earlier, the Stupidbaker is here and the Big Red Camaro went back to the pit - perhaps to look into why the engine wasn't quite right during that 212+ mph run.

I see that the Jack Rogers big trailer is still in town - at Mike Crawford's store -- but I haven't heard anything about he or Steve making any runs at this event.  Maybe the rig is here just so it'll be nearby for the WF event at the end of this month.

I'll get back here every 15 minutes or so and letcha know that there's nothing more going on - or sooner if there's information to report.  Go ahead and post or ask questions - I might be able to answer them.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: Mike Cook's Shootout - the first Lucas Oil Varta Battery Top Speed Challenge
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2014, 01:59:54 PM »
"Speed Demon crashed at approximately the 3 mile. Car damaged. Potent unhurt. Details to follow."

https://www.facebook.com/CookLSS

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2014, 02:13:15 PM »
Thanks, Mike.  So here's the latest update:

Mike Cook says that George will be riding to Land's End in the ambulance.  The ambulance crew will decide if he needs any further examination or treatment.  No decision on whether he'll go to SLC or Wendover or none of the above.  But he's up and about and says he's feeling fine.  The ambulance crew will make sure that he's right about that.

The race course cleanup is about done and we're hoping to go back to racing - perhaps within a half hour or so.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2014, 02:14:14 PM »
No audio today? A significant event happened, what else would you be waiting for?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2014, 02:32:44 PM »
Good question.  We were in the process of turning the system on when the car began the run.  The wi-fi hiccuped and by the time it got reset - the incident was over.  And since then there's been nothing to here.  Bill Guzenski wasdoing a play by play into his voice recorder and he'll feed that file to me later.

So - we do intend to have streaming audio for you when things get started up.  Which should be in the near future.  most of the patrol points are now back in place and the cleanup is winding down.  Maybe a half hour?  Maybe less?  We'll find out.  Once I think we're close I'll start the audio - even if there's nothing going into the stream.

I don't have the steam going since it'll be fed by the mike here in the laptop, so you'll hear stuff like the door-open doinger and me answering phone calls - as well as the two-way radio.  I can narrate - but I think the radio system wil work better.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 02:34:47 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline debgeo

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2014, 02:36:31 PM »
Facebook says the poteet demon crashed at 3 mile mark, George Poteet is alright
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 02:40:40 PM by debgeo »
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2014, 02:36:46 PM »
Excellent! Thank you.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2014, 02:41:28 PM »
I do believe that I've got the streaming started up.  I can't monitor it from here so would appreciate it if one of you would listen (I'll turn on the car radio for some input audio) and let me know if it's going.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline debgeo

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2014, 02:41:57 PM »
Mike Cook says that George will be riding to Land's End in the ambulance. The ambulance crew will decide if he needs any further examination or treatment. No decision on whether he'll go to SLC or Wendover or none of the above. But he's up and about and says he's feeling fine. The ambulance crew will make sure that he's right about that. (via landracing)
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2014, 02:44:43 PM »
Mike Cook FB: "Just to reiterate. The Speed Demon experienced a crash at the 3 mile. Cause undetermined at this time. Car damaged. Driver is fine. We will resume running by approximately 1pm. More later."

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2014, 02:48:58 PM »
I need feedback - is anything coming through on the stream?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Kartman

• New folks
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2014, 02:50:26 PM »
Jon, you've got an issue. I can hear your feed in the background of another feed which has nothing to do with racing..

Tom

Offline BHR301

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2014, 02:52:32 PM »
Jon, I have no feed at this time.

Bill

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »
Got some smooth guitar strumming music

Offline Tybeeman

« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2014, 02:53:48 PM »
Audio is good assuming you're listening to a radio show about limestone and acid rain etc