Author Topic: WARNING to ATV and off-road vehicles riders at Speedweek  (Read 18738 times)

velocity

WARNING to ATV and off-road vehicles riders at Speedweek
« on: August 06, 2014, 01:11:43 PM »
In the hopes of keeping your high speed adventures happy and carefree, please take note of increased law enforcement planned for not only the access road and the bend-in-the-road, but also all around the event site. Kerrie Supanich, of the West Wendover Welcome Center notified me that the BLM law enforcement is taking a particular interest in all off-road vehicles this year checking for current registration. Those lacking proper registration will be ticketed.

Utah has a reciprocal agreement with some states and will honor registrations from partner states. It is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to check if your state partners with Utah. Nevada residents are stuck buying a Utah registration (available at the truck stop on the access road to the flats) as the state does not require registration.

IMPORTANT: If you plan to buy a Utah registration you will need -
1. Proof of residency: driver's license or other state issued identification.
2. Proof of ownership: title or current registration or bill of sale
3. $30 for each machine

More info at:
http://stateparks.utah.gov/resources/ohv/permits

Offline Texican

Re: WARNING to ATV and off-road vehicles riders at Speedweek
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 03:29:09 PM »
Thanks for the "heads up".

It isn't too hard to figure out that with Tooele County losing a big bag of revenue
from military cutbacks; they are seeking a fresh teat to suck.
  So! They are rummaging through the couch cushions for every nickel and dime they can extract.

I believe The Deseret Peak picnic and rodeo grounds filed bankruptcy not too long ago.

Watch for Sheriff cruisers parked in low vision areas; in shadows and behind curves;
at the "T" intersection to the South of Exit 4 eastbound; and under the Exit 2 bridge. Stay Safe

Jim

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 04:30:53 PM »
ATV/Off-Highway Motorcycle AL AK CO CT* FL GA HI IL IA KS KY ME MD MA MI MS NE* NH NJ NC RI SC SD TN TX VA WV WI WY NEED PERMIT *ATV only

If your state is listed here or your machine is not currently registered in your home state, you must purchase a Utah non-resident permit.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 04:49:05 PM by racefanwfo »
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 04:36:38 PM »
Huh?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 04:47:03 PM »
When I've used an ATV on the salt I've been lucky enough to already have a UT sticker. But if you think getting salt off of a car is bad...
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline jww36

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 06:37:11 PM »
Do I need a license to ride a bicycle?

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 06:44:36 PM »
Now you've done it. Some tax authority in Utah just read your post and had a great idea.

550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 07:36:53 PM »
Next, operator licenses will be required for the port-a-potties.......

just saying, J
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 07:38:38 PM »
I said this elsewhere -- will repeat it here.

The OHV rule is a state of Utah rule, not federal, so don't sweat the BLM officers that are meandering around.  Do watch out for state, local, or county police.  I'm told there'll be at least a pair of them in and around the pits this Saturday (don't know about anything earlier), so be careful then.

If you don't have your permit and buying one is what you're planning to do, there will be two local points where you can buy:  at the West Wendover Visitor Center and at the Metro (the real name for the truck stop where Marcello's Salt Flats cafe is located).  The permit will set you back $30.  I don't know how much a ticket will cost.  I don't expect to find out except through hearsay.

To get one of the permits you will need both personal identification (driver license, passport) and some proof of ownership of the chosen vehicle (title, bill of sale).

There are, at present, no firm plans to require registration to use the potties.  That's still in the early stages of discussion. :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jdincau

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 07:40:37 PM »
ATV/Off-Highway Motorcycle AL AK CO CT* FL GA HI IL IA KS KY ME MD MA MI MS NE* NH NJ NC RI SC SD TN TX VA WV WI WY NEED PERMIT *ATV only

If your state is listed here or your machine is not currently registered in your home state, you must purchase a Utah non-resident permit.

According to the Utah State Parks web site you still need a $30 permit they just wont charge you for a non resident registration.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 07:45:43 PM »
......There are, at present, no firm plans to require registration to use the potties.  That's still in the early stages of discussion. :roll:

I wonder if said registration would require a demonstration of said use procedures?  Let me first load up on a few Taco Bell burritos, if that is the case.  :-o  :-D
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline Crosley

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 05:43:29 PM »

There are, at present, no firm plans to require registration to use the potties.  That's still in the early stages of discussion. :roll:

I hope there is no pee test.  I dont function under stress of a test.

Beyond the sillyness, this is about our safety, not money.  and I am not laughing, I am serious.  :-D
Tony in AZ...

"If you find yourself in a ditch.... let up on the throttle"

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 06:14:29 PM »
I bet you can't say that with a straight face!  :-D
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 08:30:09 PM »
Do I need a license to ride a bicycle?

Only in Australia
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 07:25:24 PM »

According to the Utah State Parks web site you still need a $30 permit they just wont charge you for a non resident registration.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Flats are not a state park. They are Federal so State regs do not apply. Provided you keep your machine on the Flats.
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651