Author Topic: Saving the Salt  (Read 545716 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Saving the Salt
« on: June 15, 2014, 12:52:14 PM »
It seems to me that our sport is coming under increasing obstacles here and down under just to have access to the dry lakes we all love so dearly. Here in the US they are under federal control.  I would like to know  how many, if any feel the same way.

What I have in mind is a loose association of  racers who would help do research and identify any and all Govt. agencies who have, are trying to control dry lakes on PUBLIC LANDS.

Develop a plan of action along these lines:

1.  Agency info and contacts:

2.  Identify all House and Senate Committees who have oversight and budget influence of above Agencies.

3.  Identify all House and Senate members and their Dists and States

4.  Match our Racer Data bases with those members  areas

5.  THEN GET TO WORK!!!!

with personal contacts and recruit others at shows ect ect

I suggest that this is a natural extension for SAVE THE SALT and the 2 Club

Respond to me on this site or if this will not work for Jon I will give other contact info.

If you want to continue racing, especially if you want your kids and Grands to have this opportunity please contact me---LETS ROLL RACERS!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 02:18:21 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Saving Dry Lakes Racing
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 01:14:42 AM »
Listed below is the kind of things we will be working with.. notice who all is on the committee:

Notice, there are several members from states that have lots of LSR folks.

Chairman is form UTAH, we have a member from Az, TX,  CA,  and on down the line..

WmTS'64
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:41:31 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:41:08 AM by SPARKY »

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 12:56:04 PM »
Sparky

Your initiative is aimed from it's title at the current venues (and having visited them I support - from afar - your initiative), but problems apply even more so to those areas used infrequently in the USA by other speed teams such as Muroc (access to Edwards AFB), Alvord Desert and Black Rock Desert.  

I found that matters got even worse when contact was made with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) over a land area that has not yet been used for any official speed activity, because their starting position is - "how will you pay for the environmental compliance and cultural resources investigation to obtain a special recreation permit?"  Start with a five figure dollar sum with a three at the front for an estimated cost recovery (yes, $30K) and half as much again if cultural resources are found ($15K)! And that will probably be for the BLM people in each area that you may wish to investigate a suitable site.

Good luck with gathering the necessary support and the fund raising which will probably be needed.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:41:50 AM by SPARKY »
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Saving Dry Lakes Racing Heriatge
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 01:07:24 PM »
Malcolm,  completely for got about Desert Racing---sounds like we have a name change in order---any suggestions for a more appropriate title????

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 10:46:02 PM »
We have go to get better at having our voices and choices heard that I what I hope to do---
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:42:29 AM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 11:23:18 AM »
I have heard form folks in UT, CA, CO AZ & Merry Olde England so for:

What is becoming apparent is there are LOTS of folks that have similar problems developing ---Outdoor Access

Horse folks, fly fishermen, campers, hunters, jeepers, ATV hikers, campers---on and on  lots of these folks are very involved much like racers are at El Mirage days..  but access to these various areas are diminishing fast.

We will need to be a very NON PARTISIAN  ---VERY POLITICALLY ACTIVE Group. We will just work to find solutions.

As one of our fore fathers said:  It is amazing what can get done if you do not care who gets the credit.

We are just getting started---there is a VIRTUAL Jeep Club here in AZ I just learned about that functions statewide it has no geographic location.

I am working with others to start AZ State wide umbrella for "AZ Outdoor Access"  info interchange between all kinds of outdoor access to keep folks abreast of the various agencies meetings an how to establish contact.

We are off and running  we welcome ALL who will work toward maintaining  our continued access to the areas we love so.

This is a natural for SEMA, PRI,  Various Organizations, local and national,

Bloggers---all whose passion or profession embraces the USA OUTDOORS!

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:42:51 AM by SPARKY »

Offline ChrisLenahan

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 06:49:51 PM »
Sparky,  You might want to contact the Blue Ribbon Coalition.  ( www.sharetrails.org )  They have been fighting this fight for a while and have done some good.  We now have 2 state off road riding areas in Texas where there is little public land to ride on with their help.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 04:13:36 AM »
Chis,  thanks for the update---I by no means want to reinvent the wheel I am completely happy to share
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:43:20 AM by SPARKY »

Offline USFRAMONTE

Test-N-Tune 2015
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 05:01:09 PM »
Just to remind everyone, we have scheduled a Test-N-Tune for this July.  Thursday the 9th will be inspection and setup day and we will be running vehicles
on the 10th -12th.  We currently have 58 paid entries which means there is enough money to make the event happen.  We are able to handle several more
entries for anyone interested.  Check our website saltflats.com for more information and registration forms.

Offline USFRAMONTE

Re: Test-N-Tune 2015
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 10:31:54 AM »
Just wanted to make it clear that we are accepting additional entries for the July Test-N-Tune. Apparently there has been some misinformation regarding the number
of entries we are going to accept.  Please contact us if you are interested in coming out.
Also to make clear what this event is and is not.  We will be running just a 3 mile course with a timing trap at the end of the third mile.  There will be no record qualifications or certifications.  We will be set up to handle licensing passes.
Some of our people were out on the salt yesterday.  There is no standing water and the surface is drying nicely.  It looks like there will still be some muddy
areas around the end of the access road, that may improve as the weather gets warmer.
More updates to follow.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 07:56:39 PM »
Thought this is the proper time to bring this current

I will be using this thread as we try to develop  a team across the US

We have two Representatives in Arizona that we will be developing a dialogue with

Az CD 3 Rep Grijalva D

Az CD 7 Rep Gallego D

Tim Cox lives in CD 7  ---it is very helpful that we get someone in each CD who is a racer because nearly all of their "contact me" emails are set up to screen by using a zip code

We are looking for racers that live in

CA CDs

CD   8   BLM and El Mirage are in 8

CD   1  on same committee as the AZ
 CD   4    "    "        "            "     "  "

Ca  CD  42  heads up the Sub committee that funds the BLM
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 08:11:09 PM by SPARKY »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 08:31:37 PM »
Sparky,  You might want to contact the Blue Ribbon Coalition.  ( www.sharetrails.org )  They have been fighting this fight for a while and have done some good.  We now have 2 state off road riding areas in Texas where there is little public land to ride on with their help.

Chris thanks for the heads up .    I have joined and will be try to get up to speed on how they work
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:43:43 AM by SPARKY »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 08:43:33 PM »
Unfortunately both those AZ Representatives are pretty worthless.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:44:03 AM by SPARKY »
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline 1leg

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 09:59:26 PM »
Sparky

Here is a group in California that has been in this fight for a while. Might be a good group to connect with.

http://www.corva.org/

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 09:44:22 AM by SPARKY »
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17