Author Topic: Anyone looking for a rearend with a taller ratio????  (Read 85681 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: Anyone looking for a rearend with a taller ratio????
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2014, 01:42:49 AM »
... Your spelling is probably challenging the system too...
Hmm... had me sctratchin' my head. Oh- now I see the double 'i'! I don't have a spelling problem. I just don't bother wearing reading glasses on these forums- which in combination with poor key-debouncing software (or, probably firmware in the keyboard, these days) results in infrequent typo's like that (unseen by these old eyes).

Anyhow... thanks for pointing me to the appropriate Winters catalog.

I see that a 2:1 ring/pinion is available for the Etremeliner rear, but didn't see a 1:1 ratio. Anybody got any views of the George Parker or Tom Burkland (Hub City?) 1:1 setup? An Internet search didn't turn up anything.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2014, 11:08:24 AM »
...I see that a 2:1 ring/pinion is available for the Etremeliner rear, but didn't see a 1:1 ratio. Anybody got any views of the George Parker or Tom Burkland (Hub City?) 1:1 setup? An Internet search didn't turn up anything.

I have a few pictures for Tom's car.  The first 2 are the back and the other 2 are the front.  Is the 2:1 not tall enough for you?  What speeds do you plan on running?  

Sum

================== Click on the link under the pictures for larger Pictures ================

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13504.0;attach=44866;image

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13504.0;attach=44868;image

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13504.0;attach=44870;image

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13504.0;attach=44872;image
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:22:05 AM by Sumner »

Offline desotoman

« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2014, 03:08:27 PM »

I see that a 2:1 ring/pinion is available for the Etremeliner rear, but didn't see a 1:1 ratio. Anybody got any views of the George Parker or Tom Burkland (Hub City?) 1:1 setup? An Internet search didn't turn up anything.

Jack,

Did you look at the gear chart for the Extremeliner rearend? It goes down to 1.2-1 ratio with the 2-1 R&P.

Tom G.

http://www.wintersperformance.com/Xtremeliner%20Chart.pdf
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2014, 01:08:28 AM »
Thanks for the info. No, I'm not looking to use a 1:1 rear (won't go fast enough to worry about pinion speed). I was just curious to see the implementation of a 1:1 ring & pinion, since the pinion gear would need to be the same diameter as the ring gear- seemingly difficult to package.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2014, 10:23:37 PM »
   For what it's worth, here is the Xtremeliner that we put in the Cat last year.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline John Burk

« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2014, 12:26:55 AM »
From what I've seen with very high HP cars the weakest point of QC rears is the casting breaking where the pinion tries to push away from ring gear . It seems that a girdle with bars pressing on the side bells and cross bolts outside outside the castings above and below the pinion would help .

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2014, 02:46:55 PM »
   Here it is compared to the 9 inch.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2014, 06:52:18 AM »
From what I've seen with very high HP cars the weakest point of QC rears is the casting breaking where the pinion tries to push away from ring gear . It seems that a girdle with bars pressing on the side bells and cross bolts outside outside the castings above and below the pinion would help .
Winters corrected that issue years ago with a flanged bearing race for the pinion.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2014, 09:00:43 PM »
I have come across 8 sets of new 2.30 to 1  9" Ford gear sets. They are new and coated the guy had them made by a trans. co. He runs one of them in his car. He wants what he has in them $4,400.00 ea. P.M. me and I will put you in touch with him.
Richard 2
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2014, 11:50:56 PM »
lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline desotoman

« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2014, 12:47:09 AM »
 I just got off of the phone with Mike Feldner of M.F. Performance.  HE IS THE MAN PRODUCING THE 2.30 FORD 9" REAR END GEARS AND HAS THEM IN STOCK.
  That is the good news.
  The bad news is the price ............... $4200. a set.
  The reason is because these gears are manufactured by a grinding process as they can not be made be conventional Hobbs gear cutters.
  He made twelve sets, and the Blowfish and Speed Demon are running them.
  Mike said that he still has SIX sets left.  Bob
                                                                       Mike Feldner (715) 452-3817

I have come across 8 sets of new 2.30 to 1  9" Ford gear sets. They are new and coated the guy had them made by a trans. co. He runs one of them in his car. He wants what he has in them $4,400.00 ea. P.M. me and I will put you in touch with him.
Richard 2

Richard 2,

Is it the same guy as One Run posted? Which reminds me I have to call Joe Timney about the Extremliner.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2014, 08:31:59 PM »
No, This Guy had to have 14 sets made to get one. He is just selling what's left over. He's not making them.
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2014, 12:06:18 AM »
  Back to rear end gears, I have been doing more research and may have hit upon some usefull info.
  It seems that Ford used a 8.5 ten bolt rear in most 79-81 Ford and Mercury passenger cars and in 80-81 Lincolns.  
  These are identical to the later 8.8 rear end housings and will accept the 8.8 gears and posi units.  See my earlier post #12 for using two short axles.
  Why is this so cool?  Because  most of them came with 2.26 gears and you should be able to install 1998-2002 (I think) explorer posi with 31 spline axles and disc rear brakes for less than 500 bucks.
  Here are the rear end tag codes for the 2.26 gears which will be located on the tag on the rear cover and which will also give the ratio and ring gear size (make sure it does not say 7.5.  The codes will be:WGX-U, WGY-6, WGY-F, WGY-C.
                                                                                                                                                    Bob
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 12:09:12 AM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2014, 12:49:12 AM »
 Back to rear end gears, I have been doing more research and may have hit upon some usefull info.
  It seems that Ford used a 8.5 ten bolt rear in most 79-81 Ford and Mercury passenger cars and in 80-81 Lincolns.  
  These are identical to the later 8.8 rear end housings and will accept the 8.8 gears and posi units.  See my earlier post #12 for using two short axles.
  Why is this so cool?  Because  most of them came with 2.26 gears and you should be able to install 1998-2002 (I think) explorer posi with 31 spline axles and disc rear brakes for less than 500 bucks.
  Here are the rear end tag codes for the 2.26 gears which will be located on the tag on the rear cover and which will also give the ratio and ring gear size (make sure it does not say 7.5.  The codes will be:WGX-U, WGY-6, WGY-F, WGY-C.
                                                                                                                                                    Bob

Interesting Bob, are you saying that you can use the 2.26 gears out of the 8.5 on a 8.8 carrier in the 8.8 housing or the 8.8 carrier with the 2.26 gears in the 8.5 or either/or?  I found this doing a quick search where is sounds like he used a 8.8 carrier and gears in the 8.5 but it is still a little confusing...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270912

Looks like you might of found something, thanks.  For now I'm going to try the GM 7.5 as I have the axle, torsen and gears.  Just need to put the tubes on and get axles.  Ordered Marsh wheels the other day since my other ones were for the Datsun rearend and only 4 hole.

We will keep this in mind though and I'd be interested in hearing more if someone pursues this.  I also found this link....

http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford09.htm

...that shows one or two of those codes not being 2.26 gears but they might be wrong,

Sum
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 12:50:46 AM by Sumner »

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2014, 01:45:50 AM »
  Sum, I kind of got muddled up in expounding my thoughts. 
  What I was trying to say was that I believe the 2.26 gears out of the 8.5 should fit in a later 8.8 Mustang or Explorer housing.
  The bonus of using the Explorer unit is it has 3" axle tubes, 31 spline axles and most come with a traction lock rear.
  It just stands to reason (which means it probably doesn't) that if you can use the 8.8 gears in the 8.5, the reverse should also be true.
  A 2.47 8.8 gear came in 83-86 Ford F100 and F150 pickups and some Broncos of the same years.
  Hey, maybe that's why the cops coulden't catch O.J. .... He was running Bville gears in his white Bronco, ya' think?                  Bob
Bob Drury