Author Topic: New Fundraiser for Landracing.com  (Read 2809 times)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
New Fundraiser for Landracing.com
« on: July 18, 2013, 06:35:31 PM »
OK guys, time for a new fundraiser to help support the forum.

This time I'm going to offer a service.   Some of you who have followed Milwaukee Midget are aware that I am able to flow heads, manifolds, carbs, etc.   I'm offering to flow a carb/carbs/throttle body for the lucky winner or winners.

I can currently flow test:
Weber DCOE/DCO
Weber IDA
Weber DGV
Dellorto sidedrafts
SU 1.25"
SU 1.50"
SU 2.00"
Stromberg 1.50"
Stromberg 2.00"

I am willing to make flow test adaptors for other popular types of carbs/throttle bodies, say Holley for V8 guys or slide throttle Mikuni for the bike guys, perhaps others.

This can be an opportunity to test your selection of carb bits, say, AIR HORNS or CHOKES or carb modifications versus a stock carb . . . . . . as I did for the Midget's engine.   Knowing whether your carb(s) can flow enough to feed the "flow demand" of your engine's displacement @ the rpm you intend to run would be useful . . . . . . .

I am using a Superflow 1020 for the testing, and the data is accumulated on my laptop.   Winner to receive a printed flow graph of flow capacity @ WOT.   Test pressure would depend on the size of the carb(s).

The test would be for 4 venturis (barrels), ie: one Holley 4 bbl;  two Weber 2 bbl; 4 SU 1 bbl; etc.    CARBS MUST BE TOTALLY FUEL FREE AND DRY!!!   UPS/USPS/FEDEX ALL REFUSE FUEL WETTED PARCELS . . . . .   AS I DO . . . . . .

Winner pays for shipping to my location under the cheddar curtain.    I'll pay for return shipping to North American locations, and help on the cost of international shipment returns.

Bid increment should be something sensible, say $5.   I think this will work if a good number of members participate.

Please comment or PM if you are interested or have any suggestions.   Jon's in the loop on this so feel free to let him know your thoughts.

Thanks,
 :cheers:
Mark
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: New Fundraiser for Landracing.com
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 07:38:07 PM »
Not only am I in the loop -- but my head is in the higher reaches of the internet thanks to the offers I've got from folks like Mark and Chris - to help keep this site going.  I first, though, will apologise to Mark/Fordboy for dragging my feet on giving him the okay to get going on the offer.  He asked about doing this a couple of weeks ago -- and I let things like the engraving business get in the way of me getting back to him with the "okay".  So - thanks very much.

With SpeedWeek departures coming up soon -- I'll let the bidding go on for at least a week.  I expect many of youse guys out there in internetland are busy getting the car, the truck, the bike, or even the trailer to hold one of the aforementioned items - - ready for the trek to the salt.  But I'll keep an eye on this, of course, and bump it to the front of the list now and then if you don't keep it there with comments, questions, and - of course- bids for the flowing of your carbs.

Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: New Fundraiser for Landracing.com
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 10:36:43 PM »
Let me address this -

Throughout my build, I have run into claims by manufacturers of specifications, and before I started checking them, or having them checked, I was working off of the math provided by the manufacturers.

Reputable manufacturers - makers of components in a lot of the cars on this forum. 

Mark cured me of this bad habit.

That 1150 cfm Dominator you just shelled out $850.00 for.  What does it really flow?  If it's down 5%, and you're anticipating 1150, you'll probably still have a pretty strong engine, but it won't be as strong as it could be.

If you don't know, then you won't know what to do.  It's so easy to chase your tail and not even realize you're doing it.

My first inkling that my carb was restricted came when we were pulling almost 1 1/2 inches at vacuum at 7500 RPM.  Flowing it confirmed the issue and gave us direction for correction.

If nothing else, a flowed carb eliminates a lot of guess work with respect to the rest of your intake system.

This is a service well worth paying for.  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: