Author Topic: CAD software for turbo header exhaust design?..or..turbo exhaust theory links..?  (Read 41430 times)

Offline Jorge

• "Foot on the gas till you see god then stop"
I'm trying to find a good software or good links on turbo header and exhaust design/theory..any help..will be great...thanks..
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline Grant Borman

There are CAD and 3d modeling programs that can help you do layout and visualize things. You can also use a CFD program to see how it will handle the exhaust pulses and interact with other cylinders.  You can learn how to use a CAD program somewhat quickly but you really have to master a fluids program to be able to get meaningful gains.

I read "Scientific Design of Exhaust and Intake Systems " and it had some good information if you are looking at designing and testing intake and exhaust systems for the first time. Its a little dated but the ideas don't age. 

Offline Jon

Are you interested in the exhaust flow design or the physical layout design?

There is plenty books around on exhaust theory, I've generally used calculations from A. Graham Bell's books in Excel to get a "designed length" and then worked to keep close to that in steel by eye and tape measure. I generally don't get hung up on small differences in length.

If your developing a motor that runs over an extremely narrow rpm band only like a stationary motor or a vehicle with infinitely variable transmission it may warrant getting them spot on but in a real world vehicle I recon a slight tune spread is probably not a problem.

PipeMax used to be the standard other software was judged by, not sure if that is still the case.

Any CAD program should let you draw a path and extrude along it to visualise clashes.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Jorge

Grant Borman...

Thanks for sharing...I have already ordered that book by Philip H. Smith through Barns and noble..I heard good things about it so I figured I should start there..I was giving advise by a good friend to take a class on CAD design at a local community college and possibly take a fluids program as well..I asked the guys from Burn Stainless and they recommended Solidsworks..I'm looking into that right now..
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline Jorge

Jon....

I'm interested in both..learning the flow characteristics to design a great tuned race header..and full exhaust system..thanks for sharing about your experience with A. Garhams calculations..I'll do researcher on that..and definitely look into Pipemax..thanks..I'm not trying to design and weld/fab headers and exhaust systems overnight..Im just wanted to get a start..thanks again for sharing..

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
For what it is worth, I've been using Engine Analyzer Pro  3.9 to design my turbo exhaust systems. You can download it it for free and run it for 10 days. Don't forget to type in the actual I'd of the tubing not advertised size. There is about a .10 or better difference.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Jorge

Robfrey

Thanks a lot...I'll check that out...all info is very helpful thanks..

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
If one wanted to design an individual stack exhaust system  for an 8 cyl. eng. where would one look?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
If one wanted to design an individual stack exhaust system  for an 8 cyl. eng. where would one look?

Same place. Performance Trends Engine analyzer pro 3.9
http://performancetrends.com/Engine-Analyzer-Pro.htm

This is undoubtably some of the wisest and fun hot rod dollars I have ever spent. I have saved so much money.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com