Landracing Forum Home
November 21, 2017, 03:04:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:
BACK TO LANDRACING.COM HOMEPAGE

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

(Note: Donations are not tax deductible)

Live Audio Streaming and Archives of Past Events
Next Live Event: TBD
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 117   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 394407 times)
Mobacken Racing

Turbine junkie

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2013, 03:28:59 PM »

Last saturday night I decided I needed some workshop time with a couple of beers after the family had gone to bed, so I headed out to the shed and continued working on the fuel tank. cheers

A welder needs quality music! Smiley

The tank is cooling off after welding, the Argon bottle is almost empty so I need to get it filled before the next workshop pass.

The tank lid in place and lids placed on the fuel return and breather connections.

One of the rear tank mounts in place.

The other of the two rear mounts, sturdy enough I believe.

While waiting for the tank to cool down I made the last three braided fuel hoses for the bike.

Here the tank is in place, it was almost 3 in the morning so making the front mounts had to wait for some other day.

A snake nest of hoses everywhere on the bike, I will have to figure out some fancy aluminum clamps later to arramge them a bit.

Cheers!
/Anders
Captthundarr

In line

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2013, 06:59:42 PM »

Nice Anders  cheers I know some are glad to see the straps gone  grin

Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15
Mobacken Racing

Turbine junkie

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: July 11, 2013, 01:03:41 AM »

Nice Anders  cheers I know some are glad to see the straps gone  grin

Thanks!  smiley

I guess so, I try hard to keep in mind that every single part on the bike must survive hours of bouncing around at high speed down bumpy tracks. It wouldn´t be very fun to drop and run over the oil tank at >200mph...... shocked
Mobacken Racing

Turbine junkie

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: July 17, 2013, 07:27:16 AM »

I have a question about the foot pegs, do they need to be foldable or can they be directly welded to the chassis?
Mobacken Racing

Turbine junkie

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2013, 04:23:49 AM »

Last night I finally had time to get some stuff done on the bike again, I´ve been away at work for a week so the fingers were itching bad from being away from the tig welder and mill for so long. Smiley

I got a new gas lens kit for the tig torch which I intended to try out while finishing off the fuel tank mounts.

Two aluminum brackets were made to fit as the front mounts on the tank.

The patient is laying down and ready for surgery! Smiley

The gas lens was an improvement, not bad since it only cost me a couple of bucks on Ebay.

Here the mounts are in place and the tank is cooling down after welding.

While waiting for the tank to cool down I made a pair of steel brackets for the frame.

Fixing everything for welding, finally I will get rid of the last strap! Smiley

The tank in place, the only things left to do on the tanks are to weld some brackets to the side of the tanks that the oil suction hose will be strapped to and make a fitting on top of the oil tank for the gearbox oil drain.

Cheers!
/Anders
lsrjunkie

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: July 19, 2013, 01:16:57 PM »

Great work Anders!  cheers I love all the lines. Makes it look like a rocket ship!

As far as your musical taste goes, I too rely on a little Sepultura to keep the build progressing!

Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson
Mobacken Racing

Turbine junkie

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: July 19, 2013, 03:17:28 PM »

Thanks! I would´t want to sum up just how much cash that is invested in those Dodge AN couplings though, one here and a couple there and suddenly the wallet is empty... grin

Workshop music for me is very much mood based, metal one day and Toy Dolls (brittish punk band) the next. Add some bluegrass and blues to the mix and you have one happy Anders. smiley

I´ll bump the previous question about the foot pegs, does anyone know if they have to be foldable or not?
Old Scrambler

Going Fast - Slowly

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: July 19, 2013, 05:16:47 PM »

I have fixed pegs on my Modified bike that I run at the BUB trials on the salt.  You may want to use temporary pegs with clamps until you KNOW when they should be after a test run.........or three undecided

2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2016 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 130.7 mph
2016 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 137.7 mph
Chasis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre
maj

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: July 19, 2013, 05:48:27 PM »

We switched to folding pegs for one of the associations regulations think it may be FIM , but had been fine with solid pegs for several yrs before that 
Mobacken Racing

Turbine junkie

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: July 19, 2013, 11:36:52 PM »

Thanks for the answers, a good idea about the movable pegs so I can find the right riding position. Not easy to figure out by dry riding it in the workshop.
JimL

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: July 20, 2013, 08:46:50 AM »

Sometimes a rigid peg is the easiest mount for a removeable sidestand in the staging lanes.  You will spend more time pushing slowly forward in the lanes, than you will riding.

Also, I have built bikes with even footpegs and others with goofy-foot pegs.  Goofy-foot can be easier to ride when the bike is super low.

Thank you for this build diary, I am really enjoying it.
JimL

« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 11:33:57 AM by JimL » Logged
Mobacken Racing

Turbine junkie

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: July 21, 2013, 04:49:07 PM »

Thanks Jim, I´ll keep that in mind for when I build the pegs.

I made some progress today by the way, first I made some brackets for the battery mount and welded them in place.

I will think a bit more about the battery box before I do something stupid and can´t get the gearbox out of the frame any more, most likely a removable box properly heat shielded so the battery won´t blow up from the heat generated by the exhaust.

Next up was to fit the wind screen so I can take measurements for the dashboard, I drilled a row of 2.5mm holes around the lower edge on the screen and matching 4mm holes in the fairing. The idea was to fit a zip tie through the windscreen hole, down through the 4mm hole in the fairing, around the aluminum rod you can see in the picture below and up again through the same 4mm hole.

This way I can tighten the zip tie hard without cracking the glass fiber fairing, some silicone around the gap between the windscreen and fairing later will do the trick.

Before I called it an evening I started making the chain adjusters, but I´ll get back to them in the next post after I have made some more progress.

Cheers!
/Anders
38flattie

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: July 21, 2013, 04:59:58 PM »

Ansers, this  build is sooo exciting, and it's coming along nicely! cheers

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Dr Goggles

The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: July 21, 2013, 08:31:11 PM »

A welder needs quality music! Smiley

you guys don't get enough sunlight rolleyes

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.
manta22

What, me worry?

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: July 22, 2013, 11:28:13 AM »

Every one to his own taste but when I'm working in the shop I prefer some Tal Farlow on the stereo system.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 117   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: