Author Topic: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build  (Read 936273 times)

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
Re: APS/Ω Gas turbine bike build
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2013, 05:27:07 PM »
Do you need the solenoid for rules compliance?, I guess not if your running an electronic fuel pump.

Looking good.
jon

Hi Jon,

No, it was mostly a way for me to keep the fuel lines from emptying after the engine has been shut off. As you say I can just as quickly stop the engine by turning off the fuel pump. With the filter placed below the engine I have no need for the solenoid.

Thanks!

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2013, 03:52:29 PM »
Today I bought a handful of AN fittings and continued hooking the oil lines up.

I had to mill a slot in the front engine mount to get enough clearance for the scavenge pump line above the fuel tank.

The left side scavenge pump connected to the engine and oil tank.

The right side scavenge pump, I need to get a 45° AN6 fitting to connect the pump to the tank at the right angle.

The fuel pump hooked up to the oil pressure regulator, I am not sure what AN size the suction line from the oil tank should be so I´ll save that one for later. AN8 should work but perhaps it is better to go up one size to make sure the pump isn´t strained.

Now it is time to go shopping for more fittings, a 40mm aluminum tube is also needed to make the fill necks to the tanks.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2013, 02:49:11 PM »
The sight glasses for the oil and fuel tanks I ordered a month ago finally arrived today!

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2013, 06:06:27 PM »
Back from a weeks vacation I got some work done on the oil tank today, during my daughters mid day nap I made the filler neck for the oil...

...and a weld fitting for the oil temp probe.

After she woke up she took the time to test bite some suspicious stuff on the bike to make sure it was built correctly. :)

Tonight I started welding the tank, thanks to an air cooled torch I had to let it rest halfway through unless I wanted to melt the whole thing...

At least I got the front welded up, the sight glass is also fitted as you can see.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #109 on: May 28, 2013, 07:42:43 PM »
the tank looks very nice.
what is the sight glass tube made out of ?

Bf
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #110 on: May 28, 2013, 10:51:13 PM »
the tank looks very nice.
what is the sight glass tube made out of ?

Bf

It feels like glass at least, good thing you asked because I haven´t even considered the idea that it would be plastic. Not very practical with 80-90°C hot motor oil behind it.

/Anders

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #111 on: May 29, 2013, 05:32:50 PM »
I finished the oil tank tonight except for the mounts, I will wait with those until the fuel tank is built. In this pic you can see the oil pickup tube that reaches 1/3 into the tank. This will prevent the pump from sucking air when the bike is braked after a run and the oil gathers at the front of the tank, I chose not to fit any internal baffles since I will be accelerating in a straight line so the oil won´t be all over the place anyway.

After that I welded the tank, leak tested it and fixed a small pore that I had missed to spot earlier, nothing interesting enough to take a picture of. I did take some pics when the tank was hung in place though.

A busy front end. The welds here looks like crap since I hadn´t finished experimenting with the welder settings but later on the welds started to look pretty decent. It is no show bike so I am happy as long as the tank is leak free. :)

Here is the AN10 fitting for the oil line to the pump, that size should give the pump all the oil it will ever need.

I find myself walking around in the workshop with a stupid grin sometimes, this is actually starting to look like a race bike now! :)

Cheers!
/Anders
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 05:49:44 PM by Mobacken Racing »

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #112 on: May 29, 2013, 06:21:09 PM »
I finished the oil tank tonight except for the mounts, I will wait with those until the fuel tank is built. In this pic you can see the oil pickup tube that reaches 1/3 into the tank. This will prevent the pump from sucking air when the bike is braked after a run and the oil gathers at the front of the tank, I chose not to fit any internal baffles since I will be accelerating in a straight line so the oil won´t be all over the place anyway.

Cheers!
/Anders

This is usually the point where I pipe up about cavitation in oil and fuel pickups
So do you have a a screen of some sort on the end of that pickup hose to prevent cavitation?
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #113 on: May 29, 2013, 07:09:42 PM »
I hope the tank straps are temp and hard mounts are being made  :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline rd400f

• New folks
« Reply #114 on: May 29, 2013, 08:13:47 PM »
"sucking air when the bike is braked after a run"

Hi
I have never run on the salt but I was under the impression that you shouldn't be doing any braking at all on the salt....well not at any decent speed anyway.
Thanks
Richard

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #115 on: May 29, 2013, 09:37:12 PM »
I hope the tank straps are temp and hard mounts are being made  :roll:

See post #112, first sentance. :roll:
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Mobacken Racing

• Turbine junkie
    • Mobacken Racing
« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2013, 02:16:08 AM »
This is usually the point where I pipe up about cavitation in oil and fuel pickups
So do you have a a screen of some sort on the end of that pickup hose to prevent cavitation?
G

Hi G!

Nope, no screen at the end of the pickup. How would one prevent cavitation?

"sucking air when the bike is braked after a run"

Hi
I have never run on the salt but I was under the impression that you shouldn't be doing any braking at all on the salt....well not at any decent speed anyway.
Thanks
Richard

Hi Rickard,

Well, if I get up to 200mph I will eventually need to get back down to a halt. I have no idea how the engine will behave after I close the throttle but since I have no clutch to disengage I have to assume that it will brake relatively hard.

By the way I remembered just now that there will be an oil return flange on top of the tank just under the gearbox, I will fit the flange to a larger removable lid that can be used for tank inspection/cleaning later if needed.

Cheers!
/Anders

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2013, 12:40:06 PM »
Looking great Anders! Hope to see that thing out on the salt one day!  :cheers:

As far as your welds go, I'm with you! If they look a little shabby but they don't leak, who cares!

Keep it up man! I love this build!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline DND

« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2013, 03:06:37 PM »
Hi Anders

Since you are making a lid for the tank, you could make a swinging oil pick up with a fin on it to follow the oil.

Always have oil then and no air

Don

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2013, 03:45:35 PM »
Anders is a Swede -- might not want someone from a neighboring country on his bike.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com